bakingbarb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Thought this would be useful info

Millet

Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest. In fact, it is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available and it is a warming grain so will help to heat the body in cold or rainy seasons and climates.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ms. Skinny Chic

Ms. Skinny Chic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

Thought this would be useful info

Millet

Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest. In fact, it is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available and it is a warming grain so will help to heat the body in cold or rainy seasons and climates.

I can't eat millet at all. It makes me sick..

#3 SeMeCl

SeMeCl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

It makes me sick too. I react more quickly and severely to millet than wheat. I wonder why. :unsure:
Diagnosed gluten intolerant: 10/2002
Undiagnosed: all of my life
Mostly gluten-free (with some relapses) since: 10/2002
Possible IBS: 2007

Dedicated to ENTIRELY gluten-free: 10/2008

Currently in Chile: 08/2008-12/2008

#4 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Millet is, however, gluten-free. Just to not confuse new people to the disease and diet.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 SeMeCl

SeMeCl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

Millet is, however, gluten-free. Just to not confuse new people to the disease and diet.

No, I agree. I'm not saying it's not (I was kind of wondering if people would start to think that. :P )
But, it is good to be aware that there may be a related sensitivity, it's always wise not to try eating too many new grains at once and confuse a millet (or other grain) reaction with a gluten one.

I'm not saying the two things are related. Millet just makes me sick.
Diagnosed gluten intolerant: 10/2002
Undiagnosed: all of my life
Mostly gluten-free (with some relapses) since: 10/2002
Possible IBS: 2007

Dedicated to ENTIRELY gluten-free: 10/2008

Currently in Chile: 08/2008-12/2008

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:17 AM

Boiled millet has a glycemic index of around 70-80 (depending on the lab) which is in the HIGH range. Millet flour cooked is even higher at around 107 (more than PURE GLUCOSE!!!).

When I used to eat it my blood sugar would skyrocket. I couldnt understand why because it was a "whole grain" and so nutritious according to the labels. Then I started reading and researching the glycemic index. There it was.....not good or me at all. :(
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#7 Vamonos

Vamonos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

I can't eat millet at all. It makes me sick..

Add me to the list. I cannot eat millet in any form without getting sick. I know it is gluten free, but have tried it baked in breads and in recipes of my own with gluten-free Bob's Red Mill flour and got sick everytime. What's up with that?
Diagnosed January 2007 by + endoscopy/biopsy

#8 Ms. Skinny Chic

Ms. Skinny Chic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

No, I agree. I'm not saying it's not (I was kind of wondering if people would start to think that. :P )
But, it is good to be aware that there may be a related sensitivity, it's always wise not to try eating too many new grains at once and confuse a millet (or other grain) reaction with a gluten one.

I'm not saying the two things are related. Millet just makes me sick.

Millet makes me physically ill. I have tried the millet bread and cereal --each product made me physically ill.
I experienced abdominal cramping and other unpleasantness..lol
If, it makes you sick.. I recommend you avoid it like the plague. I do.
Recently, I read somewhere else on the net of other people with celiac disease having issues with the grain millet.
It turns out others have severe reactions to millet too..
<_< :D
Check out this link on the grain millet
http://www.immunocap...n____28312.aspx

#9 Ms. Skinny Chic

Ms. Skinny Chic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

Add me to the list. I cannot eat millet in any form without getting sick. I know it is gluten free, but have tried it baked in breads and in recipes of my own with gluten-free Bob's Red Mill flour and got sick everytime. What's up with that?

Don't eat it.. Millet Allergies are more severe than wheat allergies.
I am afraid to try buckwheat now too.. My mind tells me to avoid experimenting with any new grains.
Rice Flour and Chestnut flour are my friends...lol

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Jeepers. Here I was wondering what to do with it. I bought a package to make tabouli with, but daughter refused to eat the stuff. I never got around to making it. She hates tomatoes though so probably wouldn't like it anyway.

Then daughter won a bag of it in the stuff from Manna Mills. She got a tote bag of Bob's Red Mill products, including a $20 gift certificate. I am thinking we will use that to buy rice and spices because we don't really use a lot of mixes and flour.

#11 Vamonos

Vamonos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

Millet makes me physically ill. I have tried the millet bread and cereal --each product made me physically ill.
I experienced abdominal cramping and other unpleasantness..lol
If, it makes you sick.. I recommend you avoid it like the plague. I do.
Recently, I read somewhere else on the net of other people with celiac disease having issues with the grain millet.
It turns out others have severe reactions to millet too..
<_< :D
Check out this link on the grain millet
http://www.immunocap...n____28312.aspx

Interesting article. Thanks for the link.
Diagnosed January 2007 by + endoscopy/biopsy

#12 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Throw me in with the sick from Millet group!!

When I was first gluten-free in Jan. A real nice lady at Earthfare was helping me navigate through the available eats here and had me buy the Sam's Bakery Millet bread and wraps. Did not work for me, and I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact I had other allergies too! Going gluten-free was very fustrating after that experience-very depressing.

If you are lucky enough to digest Millet with no problem, I highly recommend trying Sam's-they are delicious!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#13 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

Umm...Sam's is NOT gluten-free. They are made here in Tampa where I live. At my first Celiac support meeting the leader warned us about Sam's bakery. And sure enough the next time I went to the health food store, I read the label and it says that it is manufactured in a facility with wheat and they do not take any precautions and therefore do not claim it to be gluten-free. Many have gotten sick off of Sam's. So in your case, it might not be the millet. But I am sure you arent willing to try millet by itself.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#14 Ms. Skinny Chic

Ms. Skinny Chic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Throw me in with the sick from Millet group!!

When I was first gluten-free in Jan. A real nice lady at Earthfare was helping me navigate through the available eats here and had me buy the Sam's Bakery Millet bread and wraps. Did not work for me, and I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact I had other allergies too! Going gluten-free was very fustrating after that experience-very depressing.

If you are lucky enough to digest Millet with no problem, I highly recommend trying Sam's-they are delicious!

Millet makes me sick. I purchased this loaf of millet bread for $ 5.00 and the stuff made my stomach cramp.
That bread was a wasted investment. I think my gluten free millet bread was produced in a factory with wheat breads. It could have been cross contaminated by other breads.
It is depressing...
Going gluten free is almost like walking through landmines. The land minds are food.

#15 Alphawave

Alphawave

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

Boiled millet has a glycemic index of around 70-80 (depending on the lab) which is in the HIGH range. Millet flour cooked is even higher at around 107 (more than PURE GLUCOSE!!!).

When I used to eat it my blood sugar would skyrocket. I couldnt understand why because it was a "whole grain" and so nutritious according to the labels. Then I started reading and researching the glycemic index. There it was.....not good or me at all. :(

Yep. It messed with me too, but I am a type 1 diabetic. It is like eating pure mashed potatoes, for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: