This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Add In Adults, Insomnia

wsieving

wsieving Contributor

When we put DD on the gluten-free diet, we decided on a gluten-free house for various reasons. I have ADD and I was secretly hoping that this would get immensely better.... Ok, while I do not notice any difference during the day, things seem to have gotten worse at night. I have the most horrid insomnia. I haven't had insomnia this bad since I was a teenager. It is terrible. I just lay awake and lay awake. I just can't shut my brain off. I am so tired!! Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

Could be a detox period for you. Since it is just a little over a week, I think I'd give it longer and see what happens. I have experienced a lot of shifts after going gluten-free.

Magnesium might help.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I suspect detox too. Magnesium is a muscle relaxer true and it can help as it is mildly sedative. You could also try a small amount of Melatonin about 1/2 hour before you turn in. Chamomile tea is also helpful, but could make you get up to pee in the night.

wsieving Contributor

I think I may try some Chamomile tea. I am still nursing (vowed to continue until our daughter started putting on weight normally) and am afraid of taking anything that may be harmful to her if it passed through my milk. This just really stinks. I hate to be a complainer, but I expected to feel better! I guess as an adult it will take me longer to spring back to "normal" than it takes for children.

ShayFL Enthusiast

It is just a "healing" process. Think of a cut. It hurts at first (symptoms) then you clean it and take care of it (but it doesnt heal instantly)....it is sore at first (where you are now) and with time it gradually gets better till t is all gone. :)

crunchy-mama Apprentice

How great for you to continue nursing, kudos to you! I would vote it is detox or perhaps something else is bothering you more now that you are gluten-free free. Milk seems to cause insomnia for me. I would love to get testing done for myself as well. Dh said maybe we could get %$#& kits for Christmas.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

With your ADD symptoms as an indication of neurological impact this could be withdrawl also. Your brain got used to functioning on gluten, it creates chemicals that become addictive. When gluten is removed it can take a while for the brain to get balanced out again. If it is a withdrawl it should be short term and will lift soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

raen Apprentice

i was diagnosed with insomnia when i was 9, it was at its worst when i was 12-14, then again when i was first on the gluten diet

i still get it now, if i get glutened by accident, for the next week or so, i just stay up till morning it seems. it does seem like some sort of "cleansing" "brain wired" reaction, sense i have an adrenal imbalance. i always just assumed it was like my body going into overdrive to heal itself.

Melissa394 Newbie

Valarian Root works well for insomnia; I drink a tea nightly with both valarian root and chamomile. Yogi Tea is the brand; LOVE it.

Archived