#1 dinali63

dinali63

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi!

I was diagnosed with celiac over one year ago and have been feeling pretty well. However, in the past week, I've gotten severe gastrointestinal symptoms that today have me staying in the house. The only difference in my diet is that I tried a new black tea. Can black tea (not flavored) contain gluten? I saw a nutritionist in NY that told me I would be ok with any plain tea or coffee? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

Just as I thought...It is the tannins in the tea that are a GI irritant. Google:

tannins + tea + gastrointestinal

You will find lots of support for this.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#3 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

It really shouldn't. Check the ingredients. I once had the same problem with a certain brand of black tea but couldn't ever figure out why.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Some tea companies use gluten in the manufacturing of certain flavored or herbal teas. In that case, there is a chance of cross contamination.

I stick with Stash teas--they don't use gluten in any of their teas.

Out of curiosity, which brand of tea gave you problems?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 dinali63

dinali63

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Thank you for the replies! The tea is an English brand PG tips. I had it in England a couple of years ago before my diagnosis and really liked it. I found it in the grocery store here, and thought it would be safe. It makes sense that it could be something in the manufacturing process. I tried to call the company but didn't get through.
I sent an email, but didn't hear back yet. I'm very strict with my diet and have been feeling great. This is the only new item that's been introduced in the last couple of days and yesterday I had two cups. Today I'm miserable so I'm taking it out of my diet and I'll see if I start feeling better. I know that I'm very very sensitive to gluten and have had severe reactions if I get even the slightest bit of gluten. I felt this way last holiday season when I had a flavored coffee (one I thought was gluten free, but maybe wasn't brewed correctly in the shop). I'm going to try the tea suggested and stick to ones where the company states it's gluten free.
It's amazing to me that I forgot how bad I could feel with the slightest bit of gluten in my system. Unfortunately I should have called and made sure before I tried something. It sometimes is so hard to keep checking when it seems like everyone around me can eat or drink what they want..............
Thanks again for the help!

#6 ztu

ztu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

Did you hear back from them, dinali63? Now that I look at the PG Tips bags again I am totally suspecting gluten from the glue used to seal them! I just sent an email and will post if I hear back.

I've been having some problems of late as well, and I recently have been drinking some of this tea, and a tea called Egyptian Licorice by brand Yogi Teas (delicious, by the way, assuming it is gluten-free, as other posts seem to indicate, at least according to the company...)

Thank you for the replies! The tea is an English brand PG tips. I had it in England a couple of years ago before my diagnosis and really liked it. I found it in the grocery store here, and thought it would be safe. It makes sense that it could be something in the manufacturing process. I tried to call the company but didn't get through.
I sent an email, but didn't hear back yet. I'm very strict with my diet and have been feeling great. This is the only new item that's been introduced in the last couple of days and yesterday I had two cups. Today I'm miserable so I'm taking it out of my diet and I'll see if I start feeling better. I know that I'm very very sensitive to gluten and have had severe reactions if I get even the slightest bit of gluten. I felt this way last holiday season when I had a flavored coffee (one I thought was gluten free, but maybe wasn't brewed correctly in the shop). I'm going to try the tea suggested and stick to ones where the company states it's gluten free.
It's amazing to me that I forgot how bad I could feel with the slightest bit of gluten in my system. Unfortunately I should have called and made sure before I tried something. It sometimes is so hard to keep checking when it seems like everyone around me can eat or drink what they want..............
Thanks again for the help!

#7 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

All the Republic of Tea teas are gluten-free.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#8 mindwiped

mindwiped

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:57 AM

Watch out for the celestial seasonings holiday teas!! A couple have barley in them, but at least CS will label their gluten-free teas as gluten-free right on the box.
"When I'm worried and I can't sleep/I count my blessings instead of sheep/And I fall asleep counting my blessings"- Bing Crosby, White Christmas

#9 ztu

ztu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:26 AM

Info from Yogi Teas:

Thank you for the email. Since we make cereal here also the chance for air-born cross contamination is 1 to 2 parts per billion. There are 4 teas in which barley malt is added. They are the Fasting Tea, Calming Tea, Kava Stress Relief Tea and the Stomach Ease Tea.

We use heat to seal the tea bags. No glue.

Best wishes,
V Crowley

Customer Service Representative
Golden Temple, Peace Cereal, Yogi Tea
Websites: www.peacecereal.com, www.yogitea.com
www.whaguruchew.com

I have yet to hear from PG Tips. I'm pretty sure I reacted to their tea...

Did you hear back from them, dinali63? Now that I look at the PG Tips bags again I am totally suspecting gluten from the glue used to seal them! I just sent an email and will post if I hear back.

I've been having some problems of late as well, and I recently have been drinking some of this tea, and a tea called Egyptian Licorice by brand Yogi Teas (delicious, by the way, assuming it is gluten-free, as other posts seem to indicate, at least according to the company...)

#10 GFqueen17

GFqueen17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

I would love to know why it is necessary for barley malt to be added to tea...? seems really silly if you ask me.

#11 ztu

ztu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

According to the manufacturer, PG Tips is gluten free:

Hello from PG tips!

Thank you for your recent email.

I can inform you that we do not use any glue in the process of sealing our
tea bags. Our tea bags are free from wheat, barley, rye and oats.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future if you require any
further information or assistance.

Kind regards,

B Hirani
Careline Advisor

Unilever UK Limited
Registered in England & Wales; Company No 334527
Registered Office: Walton Court, Station Avenue, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey
KT12 1UP

#12 strawberrygm

strawberrygm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

We use Lipton Tea at our house. Regular Tea. Anyone have issues with that? We are still new and learning each day.
dd age 12 -- diagnosed celiac via 2 positive bloodtests april 08 & biopsy june 08
ds age 5 -- bloodwork negative aug 2008
ds age 3 -- not tested yet
ds infant -- not tested yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: