17 replies to this topic

#1 BelievinMiracles

BelievinMiracles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

Anyone know of yummy gluten free hard cider??? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:39 AM

Woodchuck ciders are gluten-free. I like the Granny Smith one the best.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 DarkIvy

DarkIvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

I vote Woodchuck, too.

I had no idea it was gluten free for the longest time, too. My boyfriend buys it a lot, and I just assumed it would have gluten in it, so I never went anywhere near it. One day he decided to read the label and he said "Hey, Liz, this stuff is gluten-free!"

It says so right on the bottle, haha.

Well now at least I can pretend to be drinking beer with all my friends, lol. I like both the original and the Granny Smith, but the Granny Smith is a lot more tart, so if you're not a big fan of tart, I'd stick to the original. The bf hates the Granny Smith stuff, so I ended up having to drink the rest of his six pack. Cryin' shame ;)
Liz

GLUTEN FREE 06/13/07

#4 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

There's also Woodpecker and Hornsby's. Pear and rasberry flavos too. Hard apple cider just seems too white zinfidel for me. It's on the sweet side.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

There's also Woodpecker and Hornsby's. Pear and rasberry flavos too. Hard apple cider just seems too white zinfidel for me. It's on the sweet side.

best regards, lm

Do check on the Hornsby's I couldn't find their website, if they have one, but I did find an awful lot of sites stating that it is not safe for us. If I can find anything from the actual company I will post back.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 maddycat

maddycat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

Try Strongbow- it is made in Great Britain, I think. It is a dry cider, so not nearly as sweet as Woodchuck.
Marcia-
Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:
I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

#7 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

I just bought a hard cider it says gluten free on the label. I will have to see what it is. Also most orchard hard ciders are going to be alright as they are just apple ciders. At the end of this month we are going to take a trip to a local orchard with their own cider and hard cider. YUM

Here is the letter from the makers of Hornsby

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your interest in Hornsbys.

In response to your inquiry, this product does contain a trace amount of barley, therefore they contain trace amounts of gluten.

We hope this information is helpful and appreciate you giving us this opportunity to answer your question. It is our further hope you can continue to enjoy our fine products for many more years to come.

Sincerely,

Hornsbys

Consumer Information Center
Case ID#: 291171
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#8 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

Fox Barrel is gluten free. It tastes alright, very mild.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#9 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

I like Doc's Hard Pear Cider. The same brand also has apple and framboise (raspberry/apple).

http://www.wvwinery.com/cider_02.html

#10 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Trader Joe's has two different hard ciders - I've tried them both and like them very much. Also, they're labeled gluten-free. :)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#11 Zathras

Zathras

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

I just phoned Fish Brewing Company in Olympia Washington....They make two fantastic ciders under the Spire's Label: An apple hard cider and a pear hard cider. Both are wonderful - smooth and flavorful, but not too sweet. I have yet to try their Dark & Dry.... The rep said that their ciders had been tested by the University of Neb and are all gluten free. YEAH! http://www.fishbrewing.com/ciders.html

Cheers! :D

#12 motoko

motoko

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:53 AM

I'm a big fan of Doc's, Original Sin and Strongbow - Woodchuck is a little on the sweet side for me.

A warning: I just recently tried J.K. Scrumpy's, which, despite being labeled gluten-free seems to have caused a massive reaction - two-hour food coma and much brain fog. This was on a day when everything else I consumed was made by me in my own kitchen, except for a bottle of Bard's beer, which I've been drinking happily for some time. I don't have any other known food allergies, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Also, Hornsby's is definitely not ok - I'm not the most super sensitive, but one bottle definitely set me off when I drank it without checking first thinking "it's cider, it'll be fine".

#13 alishell

alishell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Anyone know of yummy gluten free hard cider??? :)

My favorite is defintely Blackthorn Cider-it is a dry cider and great for those who dislike a dry cider. I am also a beer fan and since I am not a fan of the gluten free beers on the market it seems to satisfy my craving.
Also a note on Hornsbys cider NOT A GOOD IDEA I drank a couple one night and woke up at 3am with huge stomach cramps and reflux(does anyone else get these symptoms?). I have also heard the Spires Cider is great.

#14 alishell

alishell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

My favorite is defintely Blackthorn Cider-it is a dry cider and great for those who dislike a sweet cider. I am also a beer fan and since I am not a fan of the gluten free beers on the market it seems to satisfy my craving.
Also a note on Hornsbys cider NOT A GOOD IDEA I drank a couple one night and woke up at 3am with huge stomach cramps and reflux(does anyone else get these symptoms?). I have also heard the Spires Cider is great.

#15 JK'S Scrumpy

JK'S Scrumpy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

I'm a big fan of Doc's, Original Sin and Strongbow - Woodchuck is a little on the sweet side for me.

A warning: I just recently tried J.K. Scrumpy's, which, despite being labeled gluten-free seems to have caused a massive reaction - two-hour food coma and much brain fog. This was on a day when everything else I consumed was made by me in my own kitchen, except for a bottle of Bard's beer, which I've been drinking happily for some time. I don't have any other known food allergies, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Also, Hornsby's is definitely not ok - I'm not the most super sensitive, but one bottle definitely set me off when I drank it without checking first thinking "it's cider, it'll be fine".

Hello All,

Despite the post about our JK'S Scrumpy cider I would like to assure you that it is naturally Gluten Free. The cider is made At Almar Orchard in Flushing MI. It is made only from apples grown organically on that Orchard. Two ingredients Apple Juice and Yeast.

Bruce Wright
www.organicscrumpy.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: