This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Smoking

msmini14

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks Mushroom........(what is your name :lol: ) I'll call you mushy ............and Patti

Going to bed.

just thought this was great and worth a repeat You can't afford to smoke and live gluten free at the same time!! Ha ha. :o

ain't that the truth.

nite............and it's been 124 days and 4 months today.

Thanks Em for making me count. It helped.

nite again

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ranger Enthusiast

Haven't been on for a week. Bad week. But, I wanted to thank all who responded . Brought tears to my eyes! My sister died at age 63 from complications of emphesema. I am 63, and that's really working on my mind. I am GOING to quit May 1. I have the patches and am not worried about weight gain so I can snack away! I am worried about will power. Hope I have enough. My MIL gets on some kind of breathing machine, and then, when her treatment is done, smokes a cig! And I think she's crazy! And then I go home, use my inhaler, and smoke a cig! Addiction is crazy, but I'm going to beat it. The weather is breaking and I'll be able to get into the garden ( I've never smoked in the garden). That will help. Both my DD quit. That will help. You guys talking about your experiences wii also help. Susan

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Haven't been on for a week. Bad week. But, I wanted to thank all who responded . Brought tears to my eyes! My sister died at age 63 from complications of emphesema. I am 63, and that's really working on my mind. I am GOING to quit May 1. I have the patches and am not worried about weight gain so I can snack away! I am worried about will power. Hope I have enough. My MIL gets on some kind of breathing machine, and then, when her treatment is done, smokes a cig! And I think she's crazy! And then I go home, use my inhaler, and smoke a cig! Addiction is crazy, but I'm going to beat it. The weather is breaking and I'll be able to get into the garden ( I've never smoked in the garden). That will help. Both my DD quit. That will help. You guys talking about your experiences wii also help. Susan

Hi Susan

I'm so greatful for this thread too

I'm going to come here when i feel I'm unable to beat the 'craving' alone.

this support has been so helpful

I've been really leaning you guys and you've been there for me 100%

love you all

Judy

msmini14 Enthusiast

Morning all,

Ok so I went to the doctor for peace of mind and yes it is anxiety. I need to remember to breathe long deep breaths lol. I am not one to go to the doctor but this feeling had me worried for awhile, just hope it goes away soon.

I had a smoker at my house yesterday and I stepped outside for a minute after my run and the smell hit me in the face. I have no desire to smoke, I dont really even miss the smoking part. I do miss what a fresh pack of Marlboros smell like lol.

We can do this!

Susan, we are happy to hear that you set a quit date for yourself. The patch shouls help you out a lot, just try to keep busy and change your routine. I used to grab my coffee go outside and smoke. Now I have my coffee upstairs in the morning, watch tv and stretch instead of smoke. Seems to help a lot.

Judy, it sounds like you love to garden but you might have to cut your time out there until you get used to being a non-smoker. I miss sitting outside with my dogs in the evening but I still have trouble doing that. I dont know what to do with myself when I go out there now, sometimes I bring a toothpick with me which seems to help.

I feel like I am blabbing on now but I dont really have anyone else to talk to about this. So glad you are all here!

Thanks all! =)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Morning all,

Ok so I went to the doctor for peace of mind and yes it is anxiety. I need to remember to breathe long deep breaths lol. I am not one to go to the doctor but this feeling had me worried for awhile, just hope it goes away soon.

I had a smoker at my house yesterday and I stepped outside for a minute after my run and the smell hit me in the face. I have no desire to smoke, I dont really even miss the smoking part. I do miss what a fresh pack of Marlboros smell like lol.

We can do this!

Susan, we are happy to hear that you set a quit date for yourself. The patch shouls help you out a lot, just try to keep busy and change your routine. I used to grab my coffee go outside and smoke. Now I have my coffee upstairs in the morning, watch tv and stretch instead of smoke. Seems to help a lot.

Judy, it sounds like you love to garden but you might have to cut your time out there until you get used to being a non-smoker. I miss sitting outside with my dogs in the evening but I still have trouble doing that. I dont know what to do with myself when I go out there now, sometimes I bring a toothpick with me which seems to help.

I feel like I am blabbing on now but I dont really have anyone else to talk to about this. So glad you are all here!

Thanks all! =)

PLEASE don't feel like blabbing isn't ok.

It's what i do when i come on here as it helps me get through the rough times

So dr said anxiety.

Well i'm glad to know that's it for your sake

i just keep thinking it's too long for me but be like this but with our moves and adjustements to all these 'changes' i guess we might just be too hard on ourselves.

i look forward to hearing from others.

it really helps me.

i guess the garden will have to wait as the porch is calling now.

just feel so quivery/dizzy and shaky it..........HATE IT

WILL TRY TO GET BUSY.

hang on everyone.

Judy

mushroom Proficient

Just don't light any matches!!! :lol::rolleyes: I was just as addicted to the sulphur in the matches as to the nicotine! :lol: :lol:

msmini14 Enthusiast
Just don't light any matches!!! :lol::rolleyes: I was just as addicted to the sulphur in the matches as to the nicotine! :lol: :lol:

lol that is funny you say that, I love the way matches smell! I had a pack of matches the other day and I lit one in the truck. Right as I did that BF comes around the corner and busted me lol. He thought it was funny, he knows I love that smell.

I can at least say bf soon to be dh has been very supportive through this, I couldnt ask for more from him. He has been so helpful except, he wont let me do the dishes after dinner and when I first stopped smoking I really really needed to wash them lol. I would tell him, no its ok I really need to wash these. haha. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Good heavens, me too! That's what I meant about that first puff..... :rolleyes:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Just don't light any matches!!! :lol::rolleyes: I was just as addicted to the sulphur in the matches as to the nicotine! :lol::lol:

i never thought about that

guess i was too anxious to get to the puff

going to take a long 'soak' in the tub and see if it helps.

we are going out for a short time tonight and didn't take the reg dose of zanax today and i can sure feel it...........will head straight for the wine.

i usually don't drink but tonight i plan to

i'll see if it takes the edge off.

will ck in when we get back.

B)

jerseyangel Proficient
..........will head straight for the wine.

Sounds like a plan!!!! Enjoy :D

msmini14 Enthusiast
i never thought about that

guess i was too anxious to get to the puff

going to take a long 'soak' in the tub and see if it helps.

we are going out for a short time tonight and didn't take the reg dose of zanax today and i can sure feel it...........will head straight for the wine.

i usually don't drink but tonight i plan to

i'll see if it takes the edge off.

will ck in when we get back.

B)

hehe Enjoy yourself! A drink every now and then is always good. B)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HOME

3 glasses of wine and no food but my tortilla chips and some cheese i brought from home.

didn't talk to the work folks of Jim's but met the next door neighbors who were cool and he cleans out houses for sales and she is a morgage broker.......

go figure.

these God Winks are unreal

the hostess is a dear and glad i went to see her

she is an inspiration to me.

going to bed soon i think

very calm. i have the key to my stress and shakiness ..............keep drunk.................... :lol:

trading one adiction for another.

Jestgar Rising Star
very calm. i have the key to my stress and shakiness ..............keep drunk.................... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

JUDITH - Gawd, we love you

:wub:

Yup, trade one for another

:huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

:lol: Told ya!!

mushroom Proficient
Thanks Mushroom........(what is your name :lol: ) I'll call you mushy ............

Oops, sorry, rudeness in not identifying self. Please don't call me mushy--sounds like squishy, oozy, slimy, wishy washy... not good.

Whole long story about my name. Don't normally use it on here 'cos it's usually radically mispronounced. Neroli, rhymes with verily (I say unto thee), but usually (except in NZ or Italy) comes out as Nero Lie, or NarOly. To those with bad ears or warped sense of humor comes out as Nearly, which becomes Almost, Not Quite, or Just About (this from much younger days working in a coffee house frequented by US Operation Deep Freeze guys). So while resident in U.S. called myself Lee until I underwent an identity crisis and reclaimed my name. Patti (I believe) coined "the shroom" which is heaps better than squishy (or nearly).

Loved being in Italy; I want to be where everyone knows (how to pronounce) my name!

At any rate, let me say hi. I feel I know you all because I lurk a lot on the Psillies thread, but haven't posted because me psilly went south for a long while. Been taking lessons. :lol:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Oops, sorry, rudeness in not identifying self. Please don't call me mushy--sounds like squishy, oozy, slimy, wishy washy... not good.

Whole long story about my name. Don't normally use it on here 'cos it's usually radically mispronounced. Neroli, rhymes with verily (I say unto thee), but usually (except in NZ or Italy) comes out as Nero Lie, or NarOly. To those with bad ears or warped sense of humor comes out as Nearly, which becomes Almost, Not Quite, or Just About (this from much younger days working in a coffee house frequented by US Operation Deep Freeze guys). So while resident in U.S. called myself Lee until I underwent an identity crisis and reclaimed my name. Patti (I believe) coined "the shroom" which is heaps better than squishy (or nearly).

Loved being in Italy; I want to be where everyone knows (how to pronounce) my name!

At any rate, let me say hi. I feel I know you all because I lurk a lot on the Psillies thread, but haven't posted because me psilly went south for a long while. Been taking lessons. :lol:

:o will just use mushroom with respect! ;)

jerseyangel Proficient
I feel I know you all because I lurk a lot on the Psillies thread, but haven't posted because me psilly went south for a long while. Been taking lessons. :lol:

Shroom, me friend, we have to help you get your silly back! (BTW, those lessons are paying off nicely ;) ) :D I think your real name is beautiful, but I can understand how much of a pain it is to have it mis-pronounced all the time :angry:

Ok.....getting back to being a cheerleader for all the smoke-quitters :rolleyes: You guys are the best ! :wub: Happy Saturday!! :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Oh Judy!!! :lol:

You do make me laugh!! ;) ..... but seriously, I KNOW you can kick this!!!!!!!!

It's been 2 years since I gave up, in the beginning I was 'a smoker who didn't happen to be smoking'

Now, without a doubt I am a 'non smoker'

It creeps up on you - the knowledge that you'll NEVER go back to it :D

....now, if I could just lose that 15pound I put on when I gave up... <_<

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Oh Judy!!! :lol:

You do make me laugh!! ;) ..... but seriously, I KNOW you can kick this!!!!!!!!

It's been 2 years since I gave up, in the beginning I was 'a smoker who didn't happen to be smoking'

Now, without a doubt I am a 'non smoker'

It creeps up on you - the knowledge that you'll NEVER go back to it :D

....now, if I could just lose that 15pound I put on when I gave up... <_<

well there is hope for me too then

after all my painting this am just realized i didn't think about having a cig when i was done.

maybe it does creep up on you

bought some terpentine and thought.........must watch fire and cigs.........and thought.........' WOW.....DON'T HAVE TO THINK OF THAT.

BY THE WAY......THE ICE CREAM, CHOC SAUCE AND CASHEWS ...........DIDN'T AGREE WITH ME ............................................AT ALL.............................. :ph34r:

OH WELL I'LL FIND SOMEHTING GOOD SOMETIME.

MAYBE LOOKING AT THE FRONT PORCH RAILINGS THAT DID GET THE BASE COAT. ;)

HI shroom

HI Patti.

HI all

msmini14 Enthusiast

Morning all! How is everyone doing?

Glad to hear you made it through Judy! lol, I know is tough being gluten-free then not even being able to smoke at a get together.

Can anyone give advice on how to relax while going through this change? What helped you when you quit?

mushroom Proficient
Can anyone give advice on how to relax while going through this change? What helped you when you quit?

Valium! :lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

I like the perspective that it's easier to replace a habit, rather than quit. Can you add in something? Do a yoga stretch when you're thinking of a ciggy? Learn to twist a coin through your fingers? Juggle?

msmini14 Enthusiast

lol mushroom you are funny :lol:

It isnt so much the crave, I dont want to smoke. I am just tense, I know it will get better over time.

I do stretch in the mornings now instead of smoke, which is great. I dont have to go out in the cold anymore lol.

I hope everyone is doing good today!

mushroom Proficient
I am just tense,

That's where the Valium comes in. Seriously, could not have slept at night (which is only time I took it) without it. My muscles were rigid and aching.

Archived