280 replies to this topic

#16 19scarlett

19scarlett

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Congratulations, keep it up! My boyfriend recently stopped smoking as well, and he promised me he would be a really good boy and not smoke at all anymore, as far as possible, which made me really happy because obviously smoking is really bad for you. So I hope you can make it through, I myself have never been a smoker but I know many people who are and few managed to stop. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 msmini14

msmini14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Well I would have to say that I failed the attempt I made in October of last year. BUT......... =)

As of 3/20/09 I have not had one smoke, not even a puff!! I went on the patch and today I stopped using it and feeling great. I just want this nicotine out of my system! I cant believe I have gone this far. Not ever again will I smoke. Agh just the smell of it now is gross.

I had to give an update! 13 years solid and smoking at least a pack a day and I booted it! WOOT! This Friday will be 1 month =)

HAHA was a b-day present to myself =) And it was the best one yet.

And I really appreciate all the support and advice everyone gave me, was so good reading that =) I love this site, I dont know what I would do without it! Everyone here is so awesome!

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#18 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Congratulations Jennifer! You will notice a big difference in your life in many ways. And you don't have to feel like a second-class citizen anymore.

YOU GO GIRL! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#19 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

I quit smoking almost two and a half years ago. That was literally when my health went downhill. Something about carbon monoxide masking symptoms. I had smoked for over 15 years. I did quit cold turkey, I was too cheap to pay that much for cigarrettes anymore. To be quite honest, for me quitting gluten was much more difficult than smoking. It is fairly easy to avoid smoke and the influences of it. Sitting in the breakroom at work while everyone else eats a deep dish hawaiian pizza, now that can be harsh. Good luck. My brother used Chantrix for a short time, but still hasn't lit another cigarette since. It is well worth it.

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Well I would have to say that I failed the attempt I made in October of last year. BUT......... =)

Good for you for not giving up on it. I am so glad you are succeeding because it is really terrible to be addicted to something that is so harmful. I can't tell you how many times I *tried* to quit smoking. It was only when I decided I *had* quit smoking that I succeeded.

May good health and happy lungs be yours.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

Yes I did it for me and nothing or anyone else. I got so sick of being outside all the time to puff on something that was killing me. I dont stink anymore, I can breathe AND I can run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes now =) I started jogging after I quit smoking to give myself something to do, was not easy at first.
Thanks all, today is 1 full month! =)
Anyone else out there fighting the cigs? You can do it! Just have to try and really really want it. I tell myself every morning, I am a non smoker. I only feel this way because I smoked not because I quit. hehe
Have a good weekend all!

#22 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

Good for you. I have battledn this demon for 15 years.

I have gotten to the point where I only smoke when I drink alcohol. Basically, I go Sunday though Thursday without smoking and then if I get to bar on Friday or Saturday, I end up getting a pack.

I hate it and its a nasty habit, but I love it when I drink...

#23 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Good for you. I have battledn this demon for 15 years.

I have gotten to the point where I only smoke when I drink alcohol. Basically, I go Sunday though Thursday without smoking and then if I get to bar on Friday or Saturday, I end up getting a pack.

I hate it and its a nasty habit, but I love it when I drink...

I cant blame you for that lol, when I drank I had to smoke. At least you stopped for the most part. I am the type of person who cant even have 1 smoke lol.

#24 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Congrats! It's good that you are running b/c some people turn to nibbling and gain weight. You are on the right "track" :D Saving money and your body can heal better now too.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#25 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Just wanted to lend my support!! I quit about 5 1/2 yrs ago, and haven't looked back. The hardest part for me was the first couple of weeks, but my husband had quit a couple of months before and was really starting to hate it. So he was very supportive. He kind of annoyed me at the time, but I knew it would be worth it.

Keep it up!!!!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#26 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:56 AM

Hi Everyone.
Patti......Jersery angel told me abou this site.
I really need your help to keep FIGHTING THIS BATTLE.

i stopped on Dec 23 .......about 4 months ago ...........and still crave them.
I know all the tricks of things to keep my mind and body active to keep from not smoking.
i just need some notes of encouragement.
Jennifer has moved from Temecula where we are moving and I'm so proud of her and that she is a non smoker
i am really but in my heart feel i could go back to it at any second.
Packing and fixing the house for the move isn't helping the nerves.
I haven't felt good ...except for the breathing....since i stopped smoking.

I espt miss the nick..kick after working in the garden or finishing a big task .
i guess i miss the reward and also the 'kick' of engegy i'd get from it

thanks for letting me vent and Jennifer I'm so proud of you
I wish you were still in Temecula but glad your happy at your new home.

I could so relate to this post.
it's what i smoked.

As an ex-smoker (15 years and counting) I encourage you to fight the battle. No one loved their "Viriginia Slim Light Menthol's" better than me. You will find many advantages to a smoke free life.

I quit smoking with the aid of patches and recommend it. It takes away the cravings and even helps years down the road. I even carried a patch around with me for months "just in case." I can laugh about it now!!!

Jennifer

Judy in Southern CA

#27 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

Judy,

It's a tough thing to take on. Best advise I can give you is to change your routine. When the phone rings and your usually want a cigarette, go somewhere where you never smoked. Go to your bedroom or a bathroom and talk.

When you're done with a task, start a new one immediatly. When you have a drink or a glass of wine in the evening and want to smoke, go for a walk instead or do something in the house. Keep your hands and your mind busy.

Many times picking up a cigarette is not for the cigarette itself, but it's out of routine. Change your routine.

After a while, when I would still have a craving, I would imagine that after two puffs, I would have this icky taste in my mouth and told myself it just wan't what I wanted to do anymore.

Anyway, best of luck to you and be strong my friend.

xxoo
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#28 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

Judy you are so sweet!

I know its hard, I crave them too and like others said it is all out of routine and that is what I have changed. It was hard because I am the type who lives by a schedule/routine in my mind, I have a certain way of doing everything, what time it is done, etc. Not smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Just remember that smoking wont fix anything, you have gone 4 months dont give up now. When you stopped eating gluten was it tough on you? It was for me and I am comparing cigs to gluten, I know I am going to miss it but smoking is so bad just like gluten.
I tell this to myself when I have a bad crave - I only feel this way because I smoked, not because I quit. Which is true, you wouldnt ever have this feeling if you never lit up.
There is a website called quitnet.com and it has a lot of good advice and also a support site. You can enter in the date and time of your quit, it will show you the hours saved on your life, how many cigs you didnt smoke and how much money you have saved. Kind of motivates you =)
I know you can do this, if you can move to a new place just like I have you can do this quit =)
hehehe you will like Temecula once you get to know the area.

#29 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

I can't believe finding this!I just got on quitnet and have a quit date if May 1. I HAVE to quit smoking - am 63 with COPD that is getting worse. Between that and celiac, the quality of my life is getting very bad. HELP! Can I get support here? Susan

#30 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

I am sending strength to all of you- it's a hard habit to quit. I've cut down a lot but I need to quit. I want to hear everyone's quit stories- triumphs and stumbles. I need inspiration and encouragement. I quit once for a year and a half but went back when I got stressed out!!!!!!!!!

Go girls (and boys!) GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: