This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

Avasmom12

Avasmom12 Rookie

Hi My name is Sascha,

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 weeks ago. With a blood test. I have an appt on Monday with the GI. I am sure that he is going to want to do a biopsy. But I have been gluten free for 3 weeks and feeling so much better. So is it really neccessary for a biopsy when I will continue to be gluten free? Also I read that you have to be eating gluten for it to be accurate. There is no WAY I can do that. Yesterday I accidently ate some deli meat cut from publix. About an 1 or so later I was having major Diarrhea...Sorry tmi. Then I read you should not eat at a deli for fear of Cross contamination. Now today I am STILL having bad gas pains in my right side and are relieved when I go #2. Is this normal? I am feeling better right now. These pains were the same feeling I had prior to getting Diagnosed but now much worse with one accidental exposure. :( Oh I also have an 18month old daughter. She shows no symptoms but I would like to get her tested too. Or at least maybe gene tested.

Thanks for any feedback.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

It is up to you if you want a biopsy. You may not get an "official" dx Celiac without the biopsy. Which many point out is just fine then you wont have a pre-existing condition to muck up any future insurance needs. Many believe POS blood and POS response to the diet is enough to dx Celiac. I am one of them. I refused biopsy and just continue to get well on the permanent gluten-free diet. Some doctors will dx with blood and diet alone as well. Many wont though.

A genetic test is a good idea though to see if YOU have the genes before you worry about testing your daughter.

You are gluten-free for life, there is no reason you cannot feed your child gluten-free too. It will be so much easier on you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Aussienae replied to Aussienae's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Constant low back, abdominal and pelvic pain!

2. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

3. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

4. - mishyj replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

5. - mishyj posted a topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

SoCalSuzy
    Newest Member
    SoCalSuzy
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Aussienae
      I agree christina, there is definitely many contributing factors! I have the pain today, my pelvis, hips and thighs ache! No idea why. But i have been sitting at work for 3 days so im thinking its my back. This disease is very mysterious (and frustrating) but not always to blame for every pain. 
    • trents
      "her stool study showed she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that." The wording of this part of the sentence does not make any sense at all. I don't mean to insult you, but is English your first language? This part of the sentence sounds like it was generated by translation software.
    • trents
      What kind of stool test was done? Can you be more specific? 
    • mishyj
      Perhaps I should also have said that in addition to showing a very high response to gluten, her stool study showed that she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that.
    • mishyj
      My daughter has celiac disease and has had for a long time. She fell loses strictly gluten-free diet and recently got rid of all cutting boards in any gluten in her house at all. She just had a stool test and it came back showing of gigantic response to gluten in her diet. What could be going on since she doesn't eat any gluten and is very careful about any kind of hidden glue? Help!