This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Pa.

kimis

davesa Newbie
Welcome! I'm in Lancaster County.

Hi. I was just diagnosed on Dec. 22nd and I live in Lancaster County also. It seems like I've spent hours searching all kinds of stuff online to see what and where I can eat. Dave

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ciavyn Contributor

Harrisburg area, here. Right outside of Mechanicsburg, PA. Big fan of Wegman's and the Gluten Free Source in Dillsburg for my gluten free items.

davesa Newbie
Harrisburg area, here. Right outside of Mechanicsburg, PA. Big fan of Wegman's and the Gluten Free Source in Dillsburg for my gluten free items.

Thanks for the quick reply. Any advice on restaurants? Also how about something to replace bagels at a coffee shop?

ciavyn Contributor

Check out some of the local places: Cafe Fresco and Marie's Cafe both are willing to work with our needs. Also, Jo-Jo's in Mechanicsburg is claiming a gluten free pizza (I'm not sure how they could do this in contaminated ovens, but I haven't visited yet). For bagels and such, hit up the frozen section of the market. Gluten Free Source gets some things in fresh from a local baker. You might try there.

momtopa Rookie

Lawrence County here. Right on the border of Beaver and Lawrence. Originally from Butler County and work in Mercer County. Plan on attending and very much looking forward to the support meetings in Butler when they start back up. I'm finding all the information and unfortunately, misinformation to be mind boggling and would love to talk to people who actually stick with the gluten-free diet.

Squidge Newbie

Is anybody from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area? I have no idea where to get decent gluten-free food out except at Chili's and Ho Yi Chinese Restaurant, and I can get Ho Yi only because Sue will cook special for her customers with special needs if they ask her. I only know one person with Celiac's and she's from Virginia. She only goes to college in PA.

• 1 month later...
Chuck8268 Rookie

Any other Celiacs live in Pa? I live just outside of Philadelphia..

HI

south central Pa here

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Sad news.......Gluten Free Source in Dillsburg, PA is closing their doors in March after 4 years :( I'll really miss their store when I travel home to visit my family.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Sad news.......Gluten Free Source in Dillsburg, PA is closing their doors in March after 4 years :( I'll really miss their store when I travel home to visit my family.

luvs2eat Collaborator

My celiac daughter lives in South Philly. She just told me about a group of celiacs she found on meetup.com. They'd planned an appetizer party, but it had to be postponed because of all the snow you got! I'll see if I can get more info from her. She was completely psyched to meet up with fellow celiacs and spend an evening w/ yummy food she didn't have to scrutinize!

Edited to add... talked to my DD, who told me it is meetup.com and the group is Philadelphia Gluten Free Potlucks. Sounds like fun!!

mama3122006 Newbie

Any other Celiacs live in Pa? I live just outside of Philadelphia..

Yes, I'm from Northeastern PA!

• 1 month later...
RUSHEY Newbie

I am from North Western/Central PA, Bradford in McKean County. Not yet official with DX but when I am I will need lots of help!!

mamaw Community Regular

RUSHY,

Welcome.......Have you done any testing yet? In two weeks we are going to Salamanca for a few days & will be passing Bradford!!!! I'm a mentor if you want any help. I'm about three hours from Bradford!!!

blessings

mamaw

• 1 month later...
Pittrider07 Newbie

Here in Pittsburgh

• 8 months later...
SuziQT0322 Newbie

Hello fellow PA'ans...

I live in a small town named Gillett PA. About 15 minutes from Elmira NY and 10 minutes from Athens/Sayre PA. Where I live it is very hard to find gluten-free products at reasonable prices. I did however find two stores that are willing to work with me. The first is a small amish store who carry the Bob's Red Mill brand. The second is a mininite wholesale store. The people who run these stores are wonderful people and will order in anything for you they can. So rather than spend mega bucks on baking needs, I opt to order from them. I am a disabled veteran and only get my medical care through the VA. This is probably why it took so many diagnoses of the incorrect ailments and why it took 11 yrs of pain, testing, starvation and many other unmentionable things for them to say "the blood work was negative but with the change we have seen in a matter or 6 weeks, we still believe you are Celiac." The doctor told me that my entire auora, and personna had done a 180* change. He has a daughter who is Celiac and says that me going gluten-free has made him believe that not all tests are accurate. I would really like to find a support group in my area. Or atleast some other Celiacs. If nothing but to bounce info between us. It is hard being "alone". PM me or email me with gluten-free in the subject line. Email is lilsissuzi@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...
staci002 Rookie

Hey Everyone, I live in Bedford County and work in Blair County :)

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & welcome. I'm from south western Pa, butler county....

• 10 months later...
CeliacFashionista Apprentice

Hello & welcome. I'm from south western Pa, butler county....

Center City Philadelphia!

• 2 weeks later...
Lizzy H. Newbie

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the site, but I really don't get on as often as I would like; I'm going to Millersville University and trying to be gluten-free there is very tough. I live in Marietta -- Lancaster County.

I really do like some of the stuff I cook, but my family's income is almost nothing. My twin also has Celiac Disease and I've been diagnosed with it for about a year; maybe two years now.

I was wondering if anyone else in PA has had to completely stop eating items ( or using items ) with Caramel Coloring in...? It's been very hard for me to keep to the diet while going to school, because several times, the people making the food had gotten wheat into our food.

[ My twin follows me around, just in case I fall; which may be related to this, or a part of something else... A few of the doctors call me a "puzzle child" and/or "mystery kid" to some extent... It's kind of embarrassing, but I guess it's not at the same time... I can elaborate on the tests I've done recently... -_- ... weird tests, just for the record. ]

The foods I end up staying away from are: Wheat, Rye, Barely, Malt, Maltodextrin, and Caramel Coloring.

My mom told me that caramel coloring is just burnt sugar, which makes me seriously wonder why shampoo and/or medicine needs it. I'll tell you one thing for sure..... I never trust my medicine anymore - as if I ever did. *sigh*

I'm half-hoping my twin and I are able to sell enough yarn and jewelry items we make --> I'm still working on a decent site using code and cheating.

mamaw Community Regular

Welcome

Carmel coloring & maltrodexin in the US are safe!

Hidden gluten may be found in soy sauce, marinades, plus some restaurants use a seasoning "dust" to coat meat/beef before cooking...plus some of the grease products they use may contain gluten....

Another example is some places scramble eggs & use pancake flour to make the eggs fluffier..

Your college food service manager should be able to help you with the gluten-free diet & have food available for any speciality diet. I know that isn't always the case but you should speak to the person...

Many people find they have allergies to other foods ;that can cause havoc to the intestinal systemaswell as dairy for many...

Eating the basic meats.fish, veggies & fruits are not any more expensive than any food.. It is the junk food gluten-free that costs money...Buying in bulk & storing the gluten-free goodies is a way to save money, sales is a good time to stock up....local food banks are now stocking gluten-free foods. Check in your area....

another way to save is to make your own cookies & goodies....

Lizzy H. Newbie

Welcome

Carmel coloring & maltrodexin in the US are safe!

Hidden gluten may be found in soy sauce, marinades, plus some restaurants use a seasoning "dust" to coat meat/beef before cooking...plus some of the grease products they use may contain gluten....

Another example is some places scramble eggs & use pancake flour to make the eggs fluffier..

Your college food service manager should be able to help you with the gluten-free diet & have food available for any speciality diet. I know that isn't always the case but you should speak to the person...

Yes, I know that... but I think I am a more sensitive person to the caramel coloring and maltodextrin -- They should be safe... but I react to it. I check everything and my primary doctor has to live gluten free as well. Even she has mentioned that Coke-Cola isn't safe for me due to the caramel coloring in it.

And I have also spoken to one of the managers at the school. He has been wonderful in getting me food I could eat. One day of having a 12oz. of coke-cola and I was crawling for the next 4 days. That only happens when I accidentally consume gluten... I know I am not allergic to the caramel coloring we make at home, because it's just burnt sugar with the ham... (Candied Ham - it's a Dutch or German thing,.. maybe Lancaster thing to make for the family).

Trust me - I have done the research... and experimented on myself... I don't plan to repeat the experiments, due to the fact that I messed up my stomach very badly. >.<" It was a bad idea on my part. If I need to explain more, I would be more than happy to.

mamaw Community Regular

Yes, you can be reacting to carmel coloring or any product can cause some reaction .. Coke would kill my stomach ......sodas are one of the worse foods so that wouldn't surprise me...

I react to sulphites & get really ill... Another is MSG... Soy as well.. Some people can't do rice, corn which really makes their celiac eating a tad challenging...

With one autoimmune disease(celiac) for me more has popped up over the years, I now have several..So as you move along your body will be telling you what it likes & dislikes to feel good... We just need to listen...which at times is hard to do.....

goodluck on your journey....

Archived