This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free? Dairy Free? Vegan?

B R I A N A

B R I A N A Apprentice

Hey.

As above, I'm gluten free, dairy free, and a vegan.

My mom keeps complaining and threatening to make me eat meat again unless I find more foods to eat.

Any ideas?

What do you eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janiney Rookie

Like you, I am gluten free and vegan. Vegetarian by choice originally, but since becoming severely lactose intolerent and intolerent to eggs I'm now vegan!

Here are some of the things I eat all the time:

- Nuts. Full of protein, energy, vitamins and minerals. I love pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazils. I have peanut butter with ricecakes every morning.

- Vegetables. Make your own vegetable soups using veg stock, herbs and spices (gluten-free of course!). Find soup recipes online. I find root vegetables make the best soups and autumn/winter veg, which is in season right now. Leafy green veg like cabbage, kale and spinach will help you get iron, if you eat these with some food containing vitamin C (like orange juice or tomatoes) studies show it helps to boost absorbtion of iron.

- Lentils. Full of protein and fibre. You can buy these dried or in a can with water, which you just drain and cook them for a couple of minutes. Great in soups or casseroles.

- Chickpeas, pulses, kidney beans, beans of any kind! Again full of protein and fibre. Can be used in chilli, with tomatoes and pasta, curries, soups, casseroles etc etc.

- Houmous. Eat this with corn chips, or dip vegetables in it. I like it stuffed in baked potatoes. Full of protein and fibre.

- Bananas are great for energy, as are apples, oranges, pears, berries and any fresh fruit. Dried fruit is great as it lasts forever. I love raisins, dried apricots, sultanas or prunes. Put them in a bowl with some nuts as a good energy snack.

- For carbs I eat potatoes (boiled or baked), rice, puppadums, corn chips or gluten free pasta (made with corn).

Hope this helps!

(I'm from England by the way, but you should have no problem getting all this in the US)

There're also some great vegan recipes here: Open Original Shared Link

Janiney B)

RiceGuy Collaborator

To add to what has been said already, There are also delicious whole grains like amaranth, Kasha (roasted buckwheat), millet, and teff, just to name a few. Obviously, brown rice is also much better than white, and there are many varieties to choose from. Wild rice is another, which apparently isn't related to ordinary rice.

1/4 cup of either amaranth or teff has as much or more protein as an egg - 7 grams. In addition, they are good sources of fiber. Eggs have no fiber. There are numerous other nutrients which these grains have in much greater abundance than eggs or meat.

The other grains I listed are also very nutritious. Nuts, seeds, beans, and so forth are nutrient dense. On the other hand, animal proteins cause the body to lose calcium at up to three times the rate as proteins from vegetable sources. This is one reason why vegetarians typically don't have higher incidence of osteoporosis than those who eat dairy. In fact, the typical American eats more dairy than most people in other countries, and yet they are often calcium deficient.

Try equal portions of lentils and one or more gluten-free grains as the basis of a hearty stew. Lentils cook fast, and require no soaking. The red ones cook the fastest - about 20-30 minutes.

missy'smom Collaborator

Try this website. Open Original Shared Link I had the chickpea salad yesterday and it was delicious.

You can layer corn tortillas, vegan cheese(Vegan Gourmet), whole or refried black or pinto beans, corn or unseasoned southwestern veg, mix(in bags in the frozen foods section), spanish or salsa rice and enchilada sauce in a small round or square casserole(I use 3 tortillas for 3 layers) and bake covered at 350 until it looks good. These can be made, unbaked and frozen too, put it straight into the microwave or convection or reg. oven.

I use this recipe for the enchilada sauce. I don't know what brands are gluten-free. I freeze it in amounts enough for one casserole.

Open Original Shared Link

littlelymie19 Rookie

The fat free vegan blog link was VERY helpful to me personally, because I am a fat free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free vegan. I sympathize with you all! I'll just list my staples, since I eat the same thing every day (I am incredibly sensitive to...everything. lol):

-Bob Redmill's Brown Rice Farina (so yummy. And a staple. If I am able to tolerate it it, if I'm not in a flair, I cook it with West Soy Unsweetened Soy Milk. I'm also trying to introduce Unsweetened Hemp Milk)

-Pears and Apples

-I bought a juicer, which is one of the best things my family has ever done. My mom and I use it. I juice tomatoes in the morning, and I juice carrots, kale, cucumber and celery in the afternoon. It's amazing for the body, and it tastes GOOD!

Juiced carrots make anything taste yummy!

-Black beans with tomato sauce (bionaturae has one that is ONLY tomatoes)

-Lentils with pureed winter squash (Cascadian farms)

-Red Beans with lemon and basil

-Lunberg Rice cakes with Trader Joes no added sugar blueberry Jam

-SWEET POTATOES!!! They're my best friend.

-Tons of broccoli and asparagus. You can grill it on a george formann grill. It's sooo good :)

And that's my diet there! Hope it gave you some ideas!

purple Community Regular
Like you, I am gluten free and vegan. Vegetarian by choice originally, but since becoming severely lactose intolerent and intolerent to eggs I'm now vegan!

Here are some of the things I eat all the time:

- Nuts. Full of protein, energy, vitamins and minerals. I love pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazils. I have peanut butter with ricecakes every morning.

- Vegetables. Make your own vegetable soups using veg stock, herbs and spices (gluten-free of course!). Find soup recipes online. I find root vegetables make the best soups and autumn/winter veg, which is in season right now. Leafy green veg like cabbage, kale and spinach will help you get iron, if you eat these with some food containing vitamin C (like orange juice or tomatoes) studies show it helps to boost absorbtion of iron.

- Lentils. Full of protein and fibre. You can buy these dried or in a can with water, which you just drain and cook them for a couple of minutes. Great in soups or casseroles.

- Chickpeas, pulses, kidney beans, beans of any kind! Again full of protein and fibre. Can be used in chilli, with tomatoes and pasta, curries, soups, casseroles etc etc.

- Houmous. Eat this with corn chips, or dip vegetables in it. I like it stuffed in baked potatoes. Full of protein and fibre.

- Bananas are great for energy, as are apples, oranges, pears, berries and any fresh fruit. Dried fruit is great as it lasts forever. I love raisins, dried apricots, sultanas or prunes. Put them in a bowl with some nuts as a good energy snack.

- For carbs I eat potatoes (boiled or baked), rice, puppadums, corn chips or gluten free pasta (made with corn).

Hope this helps!

(I'm from England by the way, but you should have no problem getting all this in the US)

There're also some great vegan recipes here: Open Original Shared Link

Janiney B)

Ditto the web site, Karina's breakfast brownies and green chile enchiladas are great (I just used a can of green chile salsa and a can of tomatoes with green chilies) I boiled the sweet potatoes then skinned them and mashed them with a fork-very simple.

We love this bread:

and use it with this french toast:

These waffles are great and easy, only I use 1 1/2 cups of almond milk:

I use agave nectar for the honey and beans or nuts for the meat.

I make my dd guacamole, enchiladas with black beans and refried beans, pizza with hashbrowns, stir fry with cashews and rice, baked or fried potatoes, meatless chili, bean soup, minestrone soup, lasagna with mashed potatoes and any veggy, popcorn popped in coconut oil on the stove, meatless spaghetti, pumpkin muffins or cookies w/o eggs (I use egg replacer).

Rice and Bean casserole:

Mexican Spaghetti:

Open Original Shared Link (google the # in the box at the top- some reason I can't get it to work)

served with beans

Mexican Pie:

Oreos:

Open Original Shared Link (google the number)

and I am working on finding a good pumpkin pie and crust recipe for Thanksgiving but meanwhile I am going to make this Apple Crumble:

I made vanilla wafers and gingersnaps from the book "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster, they make good pie crusts too.

Here are some web sites I saved but haven't had much time to check them out yet.

And I like this one:

then type in the box- vegan and gluten free recipes

I hope this will help you with some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
Anna and Marie Newbie

Hi, like 'littlelymie19' , hope I got the name right!, my twin and I are extremely sensitive to all listed below in our signature and eat the same thing everyday. My list:

-apples, favorite; grapes; raisens; bananas

-green beans, peas, onion

- rice or corn noodles ( Mrs. Leepers)

- Perdue chicken breast

-Rice Chex

- occasionaly, to get some fat and energy for running/exercising, Baker's Unsweetended chocolate, sometimes semi- sweet; Breyers lactose free vanilla ice cream, lundbergs rice cake(cinnamon), lemon wafers( very rare).

Any way, Neither of us are vegan but ultra sensitive, yes indeed. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
mr. moore Explorer

i hope corn is ok, cause i eat a load of corn :huh:

Anna and Marie Newbie
Hi, like 'littlelymie19' , hope I got the name right!, my twin and I are extremely sensitive to all listed below in our signature and eat the same thing everyday. My list:

-apples, favorite; grapes; raisens; bananas

-green beans, peas, onion

- rice or corn noodles ( Mrs. Leepers)

- Perdue chicken breast

-Rice Chex

- occasionaly, to get some fat and energy for running/exercising, Baker's Unsweetended chocolate, sometimes semi- sweet; Breyers lactose free vanilla ice cream, lundbergs rice cake(cinnamon), lemon wafers( very rare).

Any way, Neither of us are vegan but ultra sensitive, yes indeed. :)

Never mind the bakers chocolate, it has soy in it. Now we eat Enjoy Life chocolate and it is sooo much better.

Archived