Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Heinz Soups

19 posts in this topic

So today in Wegmans I was in the gluten free aisle when my husband spotted soups....which I had never seen. Heinz had made 3 soups and they were made gluten free and labeled it.

There was Cream of Tomato

Potato and Leek

and Beans and Tomato soup.

It was a good find. We didn't try any but they are very different looking from the real "tomato soup." These are all metallic cans. Look old fashioned.....if that helps

I was excited!!!!

Ads by Google:

Are they the British imports? I've found them at World Market but they are pricey. You'll have to give us some feedback on how they taste.

We didn't buy them this time- but the price was $2.34 for a can.

I've seen them online. I think it was at the Vermont Country Store.

I love their tomato soup. It's not generally in the regular soup isle, since it is a British import. I usually find it amongst the International foods. It tastes just like Campbell's. It's perfect for those days you want tomato soup and grilled cheese (I use the rye bread from the Grainless Baker). Mmmmmmm!

I love their tomato soup. It's not generally in the regular soup isle, since it is a British import. I usually find it amongst the International foods. It tastes just like Campbell's. It's perfect for those days you want tomato soup and grilled cheese (I use the rye bread from the Grainless Baker). Mmmmmmm!

I found this in the Nature's Marketplace where all the organic and specialty diet food is.

They carry two of them here in the gluten free mall associated with this site. There might be product reviews there too.

If it is a British import, would it meet north american gluten free standards. Or have the Brits stopped using wheat starch? They used to claim that wheat starch was gluten free. <_< Does anyone know if that has changed?

Heinz is based here in Pittsburgh, but I think they do have a UK branch. Time to check out their website!

Looks like the cream of tomato soup is a UK product, but it does NOT contain wheat starch, they use corn flour (what we call corn starch in the US) instead!

Ooh, I'm going to look for it!

If it is a British import, would it meet north american gluten free standards. Or have the Brits stopped using wheat starch? They used to claim that wheat starch was gluten free. <_< Does anyone know if that has changed?

Shirley!!!! Is that really you?? :D

so just guessing here..........since you like my favorite too.........grilled cheese sandwiches and T soup I'm thining you can have dairy.

Does this soup have milk in it? I can't have dairy and use Imagine Tomato soup that is gluten-free, sf and df.--if i remember correctly

Thanks Judy

so just guessing here..........since you like my favorite too.........grilled cheese sandwiches and T soup I'm thining you can have dairy.

Does this soup have milk in it? I can't have dairy and use Imagine Tomato soup that is gluten-free, sf and df.--if i remember correctly

Thanks Judy

I just looked at the can and unfortunately it does have dairy in it. Sorry.

(So far, knock on wood, as far as food goes my only issue is gluten).

I just looked at the can and unfortunately it does have dairy in it. Sorry.

(So far, knock on wood, as far as food goes my only issue is gluten).

Thanks Jillian appreciate the time to let me know.

Judy

EDIT

Just found this in a celiac alert blog---FYI

Imagine Organic Soups

tomato-soup-146x300.jpgImagine makes the most amazing Creamy Tomato Soup! The soup is creamy and rich, and it's gluten free. It even says so right on the back of the box and on the website. All of Imagine soups are organic and gluten free, with the exception of the Creamy Chicken Soup and the Imagine Bistro Bisques. I enjoy the creamy tomato soup with a gluten-free grilled Brie sandwich. It's just like my old glutenous grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, but it tastes more gourmet, and of course, it's gluten free. I also really like the Creamy Sweet Corn Soup! Being from the Midwest, I know good corn, and this is it. It's great served with gluten-free crackers such as Blue Diamond Nut Thins. this is my personal comments. (I KNOW some folks have trouble with the cracker b/c of non decicated lines ...if i remember correctly.

Reduced Sodium Organic Creamy Tomato

This is the one i use and just love it.

Discover the rich, savor flavor of NEW Imagine Light in Sodium Creamy Garden Tomato Soup. Made from wholesome organic vegetables, you'll savor its smooth, rich texture and perfect balance of fresh herbs and delicate seasonings. With 50% less sodium than our original Imagine soups, the possibilities are endless.

Ingredients: filtered water, organic tomatoes, organic onions, organic brown rice syrup, organic celery, organic expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil and/or sunflower oil, salt with potassium chloride, organic spices, organic garlic powder.

Shirley!!!! Is that really you?? :D

Yup, really me :lol: I'm having computer problems though, so just on periodically just yet. I had a total hard drive melt down and couldn't retrieve any of my data, settings or programs, so slowly getting back. I keep having to look through old note books to find passwords etc. :huh:

I think we are going into town tomorrow so will have to have a look for that soup. With any luck we can get it here too. We used to get Imagine that said gluten free on the pack, but lately I haven't been able to find the gluten free label <_< Will have to look again. I miss my tomato soup.

Hi Shirley

good to see you again

this is what i Loved and can't find it either.

Reduced Sodium Organic Creamy Tomato

It was my treat soup i didn't have to make myself.

I think maybe they have new ones out

better not have milk or soy in them............... B)

how much gardening did you do last summer?

I sure didn't do much this year.

Judy in philly

I'm not sure about everyone's location and if this brand is available to them locally, but an excellent source of premade soups is Pacific Natural Foods. Here's a list of their gluten free soups:

Creamy Soups

Organic Creamy Tomato

Organic Creamy Butternut Squash

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato

Organic French Onion

Creamy Roasted Carrot

Broths

Natural Free Range Chicken

Organic Free Range Chicken

Organic Low Sodium Chicken

Organic Mushroom

Beef Broth

Organic Vegetable Broth

Their website also features many other Gluten Free items and items that are:

# Kosher Dairy

# Kosher Parve

# Gluten Free

# Wheat Free

# Casein Free

# Low Sodium

# Low Fat

# Vegan

# Yeast Free

# Fat Free

Check out their website for more info! http://www.pacificfoods.com/commitment-specialdiets.php

I was in town on Wed. and couldn't find any Heinz soups :angry: Guess we don't have them around.

I also checked out the Imagine soups and couldn't find the words gluten free on them. I remember buying them a few years ago with gluten free written on them, but it's not there anymore.

The ingredients look fine though, so I bought a tomato to try it. Haven't tried it yet, maybe tomorrow.