This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! I Screwed Up My Life.

jsbs11

jsbs11 Newbie

Sorry for the dramatic title but I really feel like I screwed up. The irritability, laziness, depression, anxiety and ofcourse pain that this disease causes (stealth like) is indescribable. Marriage, business, friends...I've almost lost everything.

I thought my problem was candida and that did help, but I cheated on the candida diet with one type of food group---certain grains, cereal, and yeast free bread. Little did I know that I was injecting the gluten poison in my body as I tried so hard to live up to the other restriction of a candida free diet.

Well atleast I know now. I have a couple of questions right now and I am sure more to come. Is Psyllium whole husk allowed?

Is brown rice okay or should I switch back to white rice?

I really enjoy millet, can I keep eating it ?(I cook it in a skillet before boiling)

I checked my suppliments (multi, enzyme, fish oil) and they are gluten free. Is there any supplements you recommend to heal the sm intestines?

Thank all of you so much.

Joe

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Wow! That was a dramatic title, but it got my attention so hey, it worked! The strain celiac disease can put on you and your family can be so overwhelming, even before you are diagnosed. I don't know your situation, but I do know that many of us have had to overcome huge relationship struggles because of the celiac disease. Believe me, you are not alone. Feel free to vent when you need to and ask as many questions as you want.

To answer a couple of the ones you posted:

Brown and white rice are both safe for celiacs as long as you are buying pure rice. None of those rice mixes like Zatarains or Side Dish packets are allowed.

Some online research I have done has said that taking glutamine-L as a supplement can help restore intestinal damage. Despite sounding like the word gluten, I checked a bottle at the health store and it is gluten free. Please talk to your gastro doc. before starting this because, as many have said, I'm not a doctor but I play one online! :D

Good luck getting answers to the rest of your questions!

Amy

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I also have candida of the small intestine and I am on Nystatin for it.

Brown rice and white rice are fine for celiacs. Millet and Psyllium are ok as well.

Probiotics are very important and would highly recommend them if you are not on them. Probiotic bacteria favorably alter the intestinal microflora balance, inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria, promote good digestion, boost immune function, and increase resistance to infection.

I take enzymes,probiotics,multi vitamin(liquid), b complex, sublingual b12, cod liver oil, etc.

The most important thing is to build your body up and give it the proper nutrients and it will heal itself. I can't tell you that something will work because every body is different and something that may have worked for me might not work for everyone. By taking these supplements that really helped me get back to where I need to be.

Open Original Shared Link

This link is to this sites safe list for celiacs that may help you out a bit

Open Original Shared Link

This link is to this sites forbidden list for celiacs which is also a good guideline that would be useful

Good luck with everything and hang in there. :D

It gets easier

ianm Apprentice

We've all been there. The medical establishment in my experience is basically clueless about this disease but the members of this group are not. This disease really messed up my life too. I could go on and on about how it wasted the first 36 years of my life but that would be pointless. I have been gluten-free for a year and it has been a great year. It takes time but it is worth it. Yes you do have to make some sacrifices but consider the alternative.

Ianm

Archived