Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Not Sure What To Do

2 posts in this topic

I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My doctor had mentioned that, because of my symptoms, it may also be celiac sprue before I went for the colonoscopy and was diagnosed with uc. Many years ago I had problems with kidney stones and was put on a restricted diet that consisted of no red meats, barley, spinach, potatoes to name a few. I also became lactose intolerant at that same time. I was never given a clear diagnosis. It was mentioned to me a while back by an MRI tech that I probably had celiac disease not only because of my reactions to certain foods but also because of my lower lumbar is not in aligned. Now that I was told I have UC, the doctor doesn't feel I should be tested. After reading a lot of the posts on this board I am starting to believe that it may be.

You can have both ulcerative colitis and celiac disease. Insist that you be tested. It doesn't hurt the doctor to test you. Make sure they give you a full Celiac Panel. This should consist of the following:

*Gliadin IgA Antibodies

*Gliadin IgG Antibodies

*Anti-endomysial IgA

*Anti-human Tissue Transglutaminase IgA

*Total Serum IgA

If possible they should send them to Prometheus Labs, and do the gene test as well.

God bless,

Mariann :)