5 replies to this topic

#1 catch 22

catch 22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

What exactly makes celiac disease "impossible" to cure?

its a toxin created when we absorb gluten so why can't we create a synthetic hormone that stops that toxin from forming? i just hate how people say its uncurable when i don't think scientists have done enough research to rule out a cure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

Im waiting for gene therapy. :)
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#3 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Here's the way I see it... maybe someone has another perspective...

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. When people who are genetically susceptible to autoimmune disorders develop a leaky gut (through food intolerance(s) and/or exposure to environmental contaminants like mercury, lead, etc...) their body starts producing antibodies. Once in the bloodstream, these antibodies attack all kinds of organs... the thyroid (Hashimoto's, Graves), adrenal glands (Addison's), intestines (celiac, chron's), pancreas (type I diabetes), brain and spine (MS, certain kinds of epilepsy), blood cells (APS), liver (AIH), etc... These are just some of the possibilities.

Even if it were possible to block the production of celiac antibodies (IgA and IgG anti-gliaden, tTG and EMA), what would stop your body from attacking your other organs? You can't completely suppress the immune system because you need it to protect you from bacteria and viruses. Ideally, the body should be able to separate "self" from "non-self" 100% of the time and only attack truly harmful invaders.

Believe me... I would LOVE to have a solution for autoimmune disorders. I just don't think it's going to come in the form of synthetic drugs. <_<
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Here's the way I see it... maybe someone has another perspective...

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. When people who are genetically susceptible to autoimmune disorders develop a leaky gut (through food intolerance(s) and/or exposure to environmental contaminants like mercury, lead, etc...) their body starts producing antibodies. Once in the bloodstream, these antibodies attack all kinds of organs... the thyroid (Hashimoto's, Graves), adrenal glands (Addison's), intestines (celiac, chron's), pancreas (type I diabetes), brain and spine (MS, certain kinds of epilepsy), blood cells (APS), liver (AIH), etc... These are just some of the possibilities.

Even if it were possible to block the production of celiac antibodies (IgA and IgG anti-gliaden, tTG and EMA), what would stop your body from attacking your other organs? You can't completely suppress the immune system because you need it to protect you from bacteria and viruses. Ideally, the body should be able to separate "self" from "non-self" 100% of the time and only attack truly harmful invaders.

Believe me... I would LOVE to have a solution for autoimmune disorders. I just don't think it's going to come in the form of synthetic drugs. <_<

What she said.

Your body learns to do something wrong and you can't unteach it. You could maybe outlast it, if you could absolutely and completely avoid all gluten for 10-20 years. By then all the cells that recognize gluten as a foreign invader may have died off, and you could eat it again.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 Generic

Generic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

There are many autoimmune disorders, none of then have a true cure. I feel we are lucky, in that in a way we do have a cure. Avoid all gluten and you won't have an autoimmune response.

A Dr. can give you steroids to suppress your autoimmune response. I have taken them before for a severe gluten reaction. As soon as I quit taking the pills I still had the stomach blow out. However it wasn't as bad. I would however never consider taking them on a regular basis.

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

It is believed that every cell in the body renews itself in 7 years. Some renew daily, some monthly and so on. But every cell you have right now will be different in 7 years time. So it is possible that if you are 100% gluten-free for 7 full years that you might "tolerate" gluten again after that. BUT, you got an autoimmune response to gluten at some point before gluten-free, so you will likely get it again. Any stressor could be a trigger: an infection, a pregnancy, a job change, a move, a marriage, a divorce, death of a pet, death of a family member, death of a friend, natural disaster, car accident, an injury, a parasite that is picked up somewhere, and so on.

Maybe you could live a perfect stress free life in a bubble somewhere enjoying your pizza and beer. ;)
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: