This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thirsty All Of The Time

SeMeCl

SeMeCl Apprentice

I have always been a person where I honestly didn't drink enough water (TMI to come) as was indicated by darkish urine, we're not talking alarmingly black, just darker than it should be. I feel that I drink quite a bit of water, but I do not drink so much that I quench my thirst or hydrate myself all the way because then I spend every two seconds in the bathroom (not literally, but enough, like having to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.) I can't sleep without a bottle of water by my bed because I'm often thirsty or get a dry mouth when I try to go to sleep. I recently started running so I am hydrating myself even more to ensure good health. (TMI again :unsure:) My urine is light yellow or clear, but I'm going to the bathroom very often and during the night, and I still find myself thirsty. I only drink water for the most part, sometimes tea, but soda, coffee, or anything sugary, including juice runs through my system so fast and makes me have to go to the bathroom twice as much as if I drank double the amount of water.

Does anybody understand this or have suggestions? This is a post gluten-free issue (I don't remember if it happened before gluten-free).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Unusual thirst should be discussed with your doctor. It could be benign, but it could also be indicative of diabetes (which is common with Celiacs). There could also be an issue with your adrenal glands (aldosterone/renin).

I suggest seeing a doctor.

SeMeCl Apprentice

This is a really bad time to be experiencing this (I'm not in the country= no doctor). I really hope it's nothing. Yesterday I drank 3-4 normal water bottles of water (16oz.). That's 48-64oz, plus a glass of milk. I was thirsty and stayed pretty well on top of things I think. I exercised in the morning (30min run) and stayed well hydrated after (my urine even thought so), I also took a small but hilly walk later (30 min). I ate fruit, puffed quinoa, and milk for breakfast, rice pasta w/ pasta sauce (shimp/vegetables) and a salad (lettuce, black beans, and leek, not a lot of leek in it either (not US leek)) for lunch and dinner. I also ate bananas, a couple rice cakes with peanut butter and a couple Larabars. Please don't yell at me for the lunch and dinner being the same. The dinner portion was smaller, but I'm living with a family here, they are really good about the gluten thing, but it is cultural in Chile to eat all of the food prepared, this means eating the same for lunch and dinner most days.

My reason for posting:

Despite all of the hydration, I woke up this morning and when I used the restroom my urine was a dark yellow and smelled foul. This has happened before, sometimes it lasts a few days and other times it is that once and it doesn't happen again for weeks.

Any ideas? Should I be alarmed? What can I do before I get to the US (Dec. 14)?

ShayFL Enthusiast

When you get back have then test your blood sugar, Vassopresin (diabetes insipidus), aldosterone/renin, and your kidney function.

I am not an M.D. If it were me, I would try to find a doctor where you are to get checked out.

Lisa Mentor

A person absorbs most of your water intake through your small intestines. If your intestines are damage due to Celiac Disease, it hinders absorption. Excess thirst is very typical for those with intestinal damage or blunted villi.

As healing takes place, thirst subsides. But, for now, drink like a fish if you feel you need to. ;)

As mentioned, it can be a sign of other issues.

Gemini Experienced
This is a really bad time to be experiencing this (I'm not in the country= no doctor). I really hope it's nothing. Yesterday I drank 3-4 normal water bottles of water (16oz.). That's 48-64oz, plus a glass of milk. I was thirsty and stayed pretty well on top of things I think. I exercised in the morning (30min run) and stayed well hydrated after (my urine even thought so), I also took a small but hilly walk later (30 min). I ate fruit, puffed quinoa, and milk for breakfast, rice pasta w/ pasta sauce (shimp/vegetables) and a salad (lettuce, black beans, and leek, not a lot of leek in it either (not US leek)) for lunch and dinner. I also ate bananas, a couple rice cakes with peanut butter and a couple Larabars. Please don't yell at me for the lunch and dinner being the same. The dinner portion was smaller, but I'm living with a family here, they are really good about the gluten thing, but it is cultural in Chile to eat all of the food prepared, this means eating the same for lunch and dinner most days.

My reason for posting:

Despite all of the hydration, I woke up this morning and when I used the restroom my urine was a dark yellow and smelled foul. This has happened before, sometimes it lasts a few days and other times it is that once and it doesn't happen again for weeks.

Any ideas? Should I be alarmed? What can I do before I get to the US (Dec. 14)?

You mentioned you are in Chile.....are you at altitude? If you are, that might explain your thirst. If at altitude, you will end up drinking a ton more water than if you are at sea level, especially if you exercise at altitude. Dehydration will give you dark urine and it's very easy to become dehydrated when at higher elevations. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, if you can, until you return to the US but you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

SeMeCl Apprentice

No, I'm actually at a lower altitude here than at home. I live in Denver and here...I can see the ocean....Plus I drink a lot of water. I don't generally drink alcohol (I have had 3 drinks in the past 4 months all weeks apart). I usually don't drink caffeine either, occasionally a vanilla honey chamomile tea from Celestial Seasonings....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator

My second week on the gluten-free diet, I started incredible thirst/urination as well. I panicked and e-mailed my type 1 diabetic sister in law. She sent back several possibilities, told me to see my doctor, and then said "If you are curious about what your blood sugars are running, you can buy an inexpensive blood sugar monitor at Walgreens or CVS for about $20...." I don't know if that is the case in Chile, but I thought I would pass that along. She still wanted me to see my doctor in case it was diabeties.

Archived