This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Chip Problems?

julirama723

julirama723 Contributor

Hey all...

I apologize if this is a question that's been asked a hundred times. :)

I have not successfully found corn chips that don't make me feel like crap. Each time I eat them, I get the same gluten symptoms I get from wheat, albeit somewhat milder. Bloating, gas, discomfort, mild constipation. I've tried Carmen's chips (they're made in Oregon), 2 different bags, same results. I've tried Santita's yellow corn chips, same results. These two products do not have gluten ingredients, but the Santita's (and possibly Carmen's?) are made in the same facility as wheat products. The ingredients are fine (masa, oil, water, lime, etc.) but I did find today that they could possibly be fried in the same oil as wheat products (or wheat dust/flour could be on the lines, etc.)

I'm sort of picky about what I'll eat (I don't like "fake" ingredients, I tend to stick with locally made products, it was crazy that I even bought something made by Frito-Lay) so I'm hoping to find chips that are organic, or at least somewhat healthy. A lot of the other brands at my local stores look like they'd kill you instantly or at least preserve you for 100 years, with all the added junk in them.

Are there ANY brands of corn chips that are not made in the same facility as wheat products?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Mission is made on dedicated lines but I don't think the factory is gluten-free.Open Original Shared Link

Yenni Enthusiast

Unfortunately I have had the same problems. Either they are made on the same line as gluten or dairy or in the same facility. I haven't been able to find any safe ones yet.

RPM Apprentice

well, i don't know about the oregon company, but frito-lay has bad cc issues so that explains that

all of chi-chi's chips are gluten-free, and hormel said that with any products on their gluten-free list, there wouldn't be a cc issue

jerseyangel Proficient

I have the same problem with most chips, but I eat Mission with no problems at all.

lorka150 Collaborator

To avoid this, I make all of my own. Cut corn tortillas, season if you want, squeeze a bit of lime if you so desire, oil a little, bake til crispy.

Juliebove Rising Star

I buy these.

Open Original Shared Link

They say gluten-free but I see that they also make pretzels with wheat in them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
To avoid this, I make all of my own. Cut corn tortillas, season if you want, squeeze a bit of lime if you so desire, oil a little, bake til crispy.

That's is a good idea. I think I might try that. :)

oceangirl Collaborator

Which corn tortillas are absolutely gluten-free?

lisa

jerseyangel Proficient
Which corn tortillas are absolutely gluten-free?

lisa

Hi Lisa,

I also use the Mission Corn Tortillas with no reactions. Like the chips, they're made on dedicated equipment, although not in a dedicated facility.

I can only report my experience, but I'm super-duper sensitive to cross contamination and in my own opinion this company know's what it's doing with regard to cc.

We did chicken fajitas with them last weekend they were delicious! :D

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I can't think of any chips or tortillas that are made in a fully dedicated factory. The 365 brand carries a warning for dairy but nothing about wheat so it's possible they are made in a dedicated factory. I bought a cast iron tortilla press and make my own now.

Here's a link to make your own: Open Original Shared Link

julirama723 Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments!

That tortilla recipe looks really easy, and I've always wanted to make my own tortillas, I just never got around to it.

I think I will try to find Mission brand chips, since they do sell those around me (just not in my actual town.) :)

oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you, too, Patti, and others!

lisa

• 1 month later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie

Have you stopped to think that you may be allergic to corn?

MollyBeth Contributor
I can't think of any chips or tortillas that are made in a fully dedicated factory. The 365 brand carries a warning for dairy but nothing about wheat so it's possible they are made in a dedicated factory. I bought a cast iron tortilla press and make my own now.

Here's a link to make your own: Open Original Shared Link

Oh! This is great!! I'm getting one!

julirama723 Contributor

glutenfreebaker--funny you should mention that, because I think corn might be problematic for me as well.

I have tried a few other brands since that post--a few different styles of Tostito's, and some other store brand, as well as the Carmen's chips again. Only once did I not have an immediate reaction. I figured the chips were CC'd. They very well might have been.

However, I also tried some cornbread (stuff I made myself) for Thanksgiving, as well as corn tortillas that were marked GLUTEN-FREE. While those things tasted delicious, and I'm 99.9% there was no cross-contamination, I still had GI issues after eating them. So I'm quite sure corn will not be in my future, I think I'm intolerant...which is a shame because I have always preferred corn chips/tortillas to flour. Perhaps that's why? :)

cjsmommy Newbie

Mission is made on dedicated lines but I don't think the factory is gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for this information! I love chips & salsa, homemade cheese dip; so I am thrilled to find this out!

I will try making a taco gluten free meal tonight! tongue.gif

melissa

tarnalberry Community Regular

I find that too much corn, particularly in chip form, just doesn't sit well with me. Similar symptoms to glutening, but not quite the same. Doesn't matter the brand, does matter the quantity.

• 4 years later...
Echohead Newbie

I'm a little late to the game on this thread, but I'll throw out that Juanita's tortilla chips are super amazing, made out of actual food, and are GMO and gluten-free. Oh, and usually cheaper than a lot of other chips, also.

Be wary of any besides the red bag. They may be gluten-free, but I'm not sure off hand.

00048867312164_full.webp

GottaSki Mentor

I'm a little late to the game on this thread, but I'll throw out that Juanita's tortilla chips are super amazing, made out of actual food, and are GMO and gluten-free. Oh, and usually cheaper than a lot of other chips, also.

Be wary of any besides the red bag. They may be gluten-free, but I'm not sure off hand.

00048867312164_full.webp

Just to be clear...are you saying the red bag is gluten-free or you think it is?

Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

Anyone else reading this thread:

Please note that the product info is 5 years old. Ingredients change. We have current threads about chips.

Archived