This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To Insist In Testing

wsieving

wsieving Contributor

My pediatrician would not test my older two children for Celiac because my 15 month old daughter tested neg. Those of you who have read my posts know that we put her on the diet anyway and it has worked wonderfully. Our entire house is gluten-free, but the boys eat breakfast and lunch at school so are not gluten-free. Well.... we had a long weekend this weekend. They were out of school early thurs and did not go back until today. Poor DS (he is 5) went to school after being gluten free for the longest amount of time he ever has been and ate breakfast. I got a call from the nurse to come and pick him up because he vomited. When I got there, he had not run a fever at all, apparently vomited a HUGE pile of undigested food, then dry heaved afterward. By the time I got there he was feeling fine. I am really wondering if there is a connection here. I am seeing the pediatrician tomorrow and am going to request tests again on both of the boys. If he won't do it, I'll find someone who will.

I was thinking that I should have the tests scheduled for like a month out so that I can get them good and "glutened up" before they go. Is that necessary? I was just thinking being gluten-free at home, I may want to take the time to give them non gluten-free snacks everyday after school and such to make sure that they are getting enough gluten to test positive. What are your thoughts on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Based on their age and the fact that they eat gluten free at home, I wouldn't be very confident in getting a positive diagnosis. I guess it can't hurt to try for one, though. The worst that happens is it's negative. Would you be happy with genetic testing? They don't have to be eating gluten for that.

Archived