This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Vomit Comet

2wheels4eyes

2wheels4eyes Explorer

Hi all,

2 years since diagnosis and life is pretty fantastic, except for two or three times a year when I have an accidental run-in with gluten. Last night was the night and after dinner (Ethiopian--yes, got teff-only injera, spoke to the owner/manager, the cooks, gave them my Triumph Dining card, my gluten radar was quiet, everything seemed a-ok...) a friend and I headed to a concert.

By song two of the opening act, I was violently vomiting--for about an hour and a half. I felt sorry for myself, I was terribly embarrassed (the women's washroom was small and crowded, etc.) So no fun at all, but what struck me was that when my friend went to get a staff member (more paper towels, more water, a new garbage bag, etc.) the staff member herself had celiac. And she said, "Uhh... I get sick, but I never get sick like that..."

And later, when it seemed I would never stop vomiting, she said she wanted to call an ambulance. I kept saying, no, no, as soon as I can make it through your lobby and out the door, I'm going home (and I did make it through the lobby, but then kept vomiting on the sidewalk, so couldn't even have my friend drive me home for a bit yet). At which point, the cramping was so bad, had I had any energy left to cry, I surely would have.

And this happens, oh, 2-3 times a year, and it's for sure gluten, not food poisoning, etc. I figured everyone went through this, but is that not the case?

How many of you are vomiting that violent, prolonged, projectile vomit as adults (I know it's more common in kids?)

Is it typically with gluten in certain forms, or in certain kinds of foods or certain combinations? (I accidentally ate two forkfuls of orzo salad this summer and felt very badly, but didn't throw up at all after, so what's going on?)

And what do you do when it happens?

I take an anti-cramping med after, but no point in taking it earlier if I can't keep it down... Is there any such thing as a sublingual (under-the-tongue) anti-nausea or anti-cramping med? Or is there anything else that works for you?

Thanks all for your help and insight!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

I am soooo sorry. I use to throw up horribly as a child. NOw I think it was from gluten. I do not any more thankfully.

When my kids were vomiting from whooping cough(no fun) I treated it with a homeopathic remedy. With whooping cough, cough medicines do not work. IT sucks. So my daughter was coughing so much she would vomit. She vomited EVERY time she coughed. I gave her ipecac which a naturopathic acupuncturist decided was the right one for her. There are several homeopathic remedies for vomiting so it could take a few tries to get it right. It was HUGELY succesful. She did not vomit again after that, even though she still coughed.

These were little pills that dissolved under her tongue.

April in KC Apprentice

Oh, I am sooo sorry. When I get CC, I get GI symptoms, but I do not throw up. I do have DH, and we're supposed to have milder GI symptoms.

My youngest son did throw up cereals violently when we tried to introduce. But since being gluten-free, he's also been puke free. I assume that he's probably had some minor CC indidents, too.

I don't know what you can do to stop the puking. Have you ever heard of the medication gastrocrom? It's not prescribed for Celiac, but one member on here takes it for another condition and says it seems to help a bit when she's been glutened. IDK, but it might be worth asking for a prescription and taking it prior to eating out (it's a preventive thing), and also at first sign of glutening. Just grasping at straws... I feel bad for you!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I used to vomit a lot before I knew I had celiac. People always thought I was some kind of horrible drunk, or had food poisoning. They tend to add wheat flour to teff because it keeps the cost down. I got sick from Ethiopian that said it was gluten free too. I haven't vomited since, but my celiac son does. Bioenzymes, and food easy on the stomach like bananas help recovery.. Some consolation. It is less embarrassing than pooping in your pants in public, which also happened to me before I knew I had celiac.

Stephanie

Generic Apprentice

I have thrown up violently as an adult from accidental gluten. To make things more fun I usually have both ends going at the same time. (TMI sorry). I end up sitting on the can w/ a trash can on my lap. I would continue to do this to the point that I was severley dehydrated, delerious and passing out. The only thing that would stop it, would be a trip to the E.R. and getting an I.V.

I no longer have violent reactions like that (KNOCK ON WOOD!) I hope I didn't just curse myself. How I got over the severe reactions was going to acupuncture. She calmed my immune system down. Up until last week it had been 3 years since I had a cold. I always tell her she is worth her weight in gold.

Now when I get glutened I get a slight stomach ache w/ the runs and then it is over.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I used to vomit a lot before I knew I had celiac. People always thought I was some kind of horrible drunk, or had food poisoning. They tend to add wheat flour to teff because it keeps the cost down. I got sick from Ethiopian that said it was gluten free too. I haven't vomited since, but my celiac son does. Bioenzymes, and food easy on the stomach like bananas help recovery.. Some consolation. It is less embarrassing than pooping in your pants in public, which also happened to me before I knew I had celiac.

Stephanie

You know, I have to agree with that. People tend to be a lot more sympathetic to vomiting, even if it's in the grocery checkout, than that stain on your pants...... And you ruin less clothes.

Mtndog Collaborator

Oh, I'm so sorry. I used to vomit like that before when glutened. When I do vomit, which is a LOT less now, I barf so hard I pee my pants.

The ONLY thing that works for me is compazine. I can take the pill when I get nauseous but if you get past the point of no return (a friend of mine gets like that with migraines) you need the shot or suppository form. I think that the shot can only be given in an ER but when you're vomiting THAT hard, you should probably be seen because of dehydration.

(Pooped pants too!) :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

photobabe42 Newbie

My doc gave me Zofram for nausea as well as Librax for stomach cramping. I never hurl but when I was starting to notice certain symptoms of Celiac's arising, I was getting really nauseaous and heaving after cereal in the morning. And I'd think, "Cereal?! What's easier on the stomach than cereal?" Ah, how little I knew :) Doesn't sound as bad as what you're going through, I hope you can find some answers. I seem to react the worst to alcohol and caffeine although now I'm suspecting dairy as well. Definitely both ends working in tandem to make my life miserable. As a home remedy, my heating pad does wonders for the cramping. I don't travel without it. And did I mention the heated seats in cars? Totally worth the money. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
Selkie Newbie

Hi,

I'm probably posting this too late- I just did a search on whether people react to accidental glutening by vomiting.

I've been gluten-free for 17 months now. Usual reaction to accidental glutening seems to be bloating and anxiety/ depression, stomach and back pain, lasts a week. It hasn't happened often- always in restaurants.

I ate out last night- Mexican restaurant. Ordered plain tamales, since their sauce contains flour. Tamales were supposedly only corn masa, ground meat. Also refried beans, rice- the rice had the typical reddish color but they said was only from spices, no sauce or wheat. The only thing I can figure is that the tortilla chips were contaminated. Generally I'm very good about this, but like an idiot.. I didnt'consider they fried their own chips. The restaurant couldnt'tell me today if other stuff was fried in the oil but I'm sure it was- they serve chile rellenos and chimichangas.. they are fried.

I woke up twice in the middle of the night, vomiting. This morning, I woke up feeling as if I were severely hung over- nausea, bloating, headache. Weight is also up a couple of pounds. (and no, I don't drink :-)

I was no longer throwing up, but felt incredibly bad- like staying in bed all day. I took a 75 mg Zantac- since my symptoms were typical gastritis symptoms, I thought it might help. It did. It's now 1:30pm and I still haven't eaten, still have headache and nausea, but not so severe. I'm actually beginning to feel hungry but I'm scared to eat at this point. Sticking to water.

I hope this helps. I've not had a reaction like this before, except to Aleve, and my doctor felt it was a gastric sensitivity to NSAIDs. It was acute gastritis, same as above but much worse. (I never had any of these gastric sensitivities before Celiac).

I was surprised to see how many people vomit after gluten exposure. I was kind of shocked by my reaction. Each time I get exposed it does seem to be a bit worse. I don't typically eat in restaurants much, it just isn't worth the worry :-((

Selkie Newbie

ps!!!!

I forgot to add this- in my experience, Ethiopian restaurants almost never use pure teff flour in their Injera. It is expensive, of course- so usually home cooks and restaurants add other flours to cut down the cost.

One cook I know uses rice flour, barley and teff. I've also heard of wheat being used. Too bad they don't only use the rice flour in combo...

DarkIvy Explorer
Hi,

I'm probably posting this too late- I just did a search on whether people react to accidental glutening by vomiting.

I've been gluten-free for 17 months now. Usual reaction to accidental glutening seems to be bloating and anxiety/ depression, stomach and back pain, lasts a week. It hasn't happened often- always in restaurants.

I ate out last night- Mexican restaurant. Ordered plain tamales, since their sauce contains flour. Tamales were supposedly only corn masa, ground meat. Also refried beans, rice- the rice had the typical reddish color but they said was only from spices, no sauce or wheat. The only thing I can figure is that the tortilla chips were contaminated. Generally I'm very good about this, but like an idiot.. I didnt'consider they fried their own chips. The restaurant couldnt'tell me today if other stuff was fried in the oil but I'm sure it was- they serve chile rellenos and chimichangas.. they are fried.

I woke up twice in the middle of the night, vomiting. This morning, I woke up feeling as if I were severely hung over- nausea, bloating, headache. Weight is also up a couple of pounds. (and no, I don't drink :-)

I was no longer throwing up, but felt incredibly bad- like staying in bed all day. I took a 75 mg Zantac- since my symptoms were typical gastritis symptoms, I thought it might help. It did. It's now 1:30pm and I still haven't eaten, still have headache and nausea, but not so severe. I'm actually beginning to feel hungry but I'm scared to eat at this point. Sticking to water.

I hope this helps. I've not had a reaction like this before, except to Aleve, and my doctor felt it was a gastric sensitivity to NSAIDs. It was acute gastritis, same as above but much worse. (I never had any of these gastric sensitivities before Celiac).

I was surprised to see how many people vomit after gluten exposure. I was kind of shocked by my reaction. Each time I get exposed it does seem to be a bit worse. I don't typically eat in restaurants much, it just isn't worth the worry :-((

I've learned the hard way about the chips in Mexican restaurants... more than once. I admit. Now if there's ONE thing I'm particular about in Mexican restaurants, I ask about the chips, haha. I've considered brining my own and asking for a separate dish of salsa, but frankly, most places I can't have the chips, I can't have anything else, either. I know most people love the homemade chip taste, but I am so thrilled whenever the chips come from a bag, lol.

ps!!!!

I forgot to add this- in my experience, Ethiopian restaurants almost never use pure teff flour in their Injera. It is expensive, of course- so usually home cooks and restaurants add other flours to cut down the cost.

One cook I know uses rice flour, barley and teff. I've also heard of wheat being used. Too bad they don't only use the rice flour in combo...

The Ethiopian restaurant where I live is the same way. The Injera is NOT gluten-free, but oh my god I wish it was.

When I go out for Ethiopian now, I have them put the injera on a separate platter and ask for a fork and a plate or bowl. When the platter comes out, I take my share of the food and put it in the bowl, then everyone else can dig in with the bread. I usually take really big helpings, with the understanding that everyone else can have what I've touched, but I can't eat what they've touched. So if I take too much, someone can eat my leftovers.

Ashley Enthusiast

I'm so sorry. I'm 18 and vomit violently as well when I come into gluten. Hopefully, nothing like that will happen to you again. I had an episode after going gluten-free for six months. I was feeling so deprived and it was my sweet sixteen. I didn't know at the time I would react so violently, so I slipped half a slice of thin-crust pizza. Two hours later and I was throwing up the rest of the night.

Nothing seems to help me, I just have to let it run its course. I wish I had went to the ER though, I'm pretty sure I was near dehydration.

2wheels4eyes Explorer

Thanks, all, for the tips and sympathy. I'm lucky to now be studying at U of Chicago, which has one the nation's only celiac centers. The wait list is several months long, but I'll report whatever I find out about mitigating the most, ahem, violent, of gluten symptoms when I do get to talk to them.

Re: the injera. This was a restaurant on the northside that's known among local celiacs to be good about making totally teff-based injera if requested a day ahead of time. Which I did; I had called ahead, given them a Triumph dining card, talked to them again about it when I got to the restaurant, etc. But, clearly, there was gluten in something. The injera looked okay (teff-only injera is typically darker, almost blue-purple in colour.)

I don't think it takes much gluten for me to get really sick. The last time it happened was a going away party where I ate a couple of spoonfuls of lime sherbet that turned out to be key lime pie ice cream. One chunk of graham cracker was enough to create hours of vomit misery. But then this summer at a BBQ, I accidentally ate a couple of bites of rice salad that turned out to be orzo and I felt really really sick but didn't vomit. Sooo.... I've got no idea. I wonder if it matters what "form" the food is in, i.e., is wheat flour worse than semolina? Or maybe it's whatever else I happen to have eaten that day with it? Or...?

The scientist in me would like to do a controlled experiment on this but I'm not volunteering me or anyone I know for the role of guinea pig!

GFinDC Veteran

I don't usually upchuck from gluten, but I have had episodes of violent heaving due to other things. Once was in Korea when a buddy I went out drinking and both got something the same night. I couldn't keep anything down for a day and a 1/2, even water. Got what they call the dry heaves. I finally tried some 7-Up, and for some reason that worked. I think I have heard that seltzer water is good for upset stomachs, and figured 7-Up seltzer water what's the big diff anyhow? Maybe 7-up is something to try next time.

• 3 years later...
bjpn Newbie

I have been diagnosed with Celiac for eleven years and have been gluten free most of that time. I never deliberately have anything with gluten, but once in a while get something accidentaly. Usually my reaction has been bloating, cramping and diarrhea. However, three times in the past three months I have had severe vomiting with profuse sweating after accidental gluten ingestion. I was frightened and not sure if this was a gluten reaction, so am glad to hear that other people have reacted this way. Actually, even though the vomiting is horrible, it gets the gluten out of the system quickly and I usually feel somewhat better after about three hours.

A couple of times I suffered a migraine the next day with some continued cramping.

MitziG Enthusiast

My dd and I both react with puking as well. So miserable at the time, but it does seem to make the stomach issues pass over quicker at least!

GFinDC Veteran

I have been diagnosed with Celiac for eleven years and have been gluten free most of that time. I never deliberately have anything with gluten, but once in a while get something accidentaly. Usually my reaction has been bloating, cramping and diarrhea. However, three times in the past three months I have had severe vomiting with profuse sweating after accidental gluten ingestion. I was frightened and not sure if this was a gluten reaction, so am glad to hear that other people have reacted this way. Actually, even though the vomiting is horrible, it gets the gluten out of the system quickly and I usually feel somewhat better after about three hours.

A couple of times I suffered a migraine the next day with some continued cramping.

Welcome to the forum BJPN. Getting it out fast does sound like a good thing! :)

• 4 months later...
emsimm Newbie

I have been gluten-free for almost three years now, following the discovery of severe, non-Celiac gluten intolerance. (For all I know, it could legitimately be Celiac's, I just haven't tested positive yet.) I, too, react very, very violently now to ingesting even small amounts of gluten, but this wasn't always the case.

My reaction to ingesting gluten used to be passing out, ataxia, mouth sores within 20 minutes of ingestion, 9-11 bowel movements a day, total lethargy and brain fog, etc. Now, within just 1 hour of ingesting gluten, I vomit continuously and uncontrollably for hours and hours. What makes this more difficult for me is that I used to be able to take an over the counter anti-nauseal, but I seem to have developed a severe corn intolerance that leads to a lot of equally bad symptoms. Because of the corn issues, I also have to steer clear of anything in pill form, so I'm turning to homeopathic remedies like teas, etc, in lieu of being able to take conventional meds.

I usually ride it out with popsicles and ice chips. Club soda with homemade ginger syrup or lemon slices helps, too. Then, when my stomach calms down and starts to 'reset' itself, I make a sipping broth with carrot, fennel, ginger, and vegan bouillon that's gluten-free. (I ordinarily eat a lot of ginger and fennel because they are both great for stomach upset.)

I am extremely strict with my diet: I've never ever had an 'open meal' or small bite of anything containing gluten, no eating anything processed on shared equipment, but occasionally, I have made bad decisions by being too trusting of servers (not asking enough questions or being insistent) or by ordering menu items that I was told were gluten-free, but were actually not (like a piece of fish dipped in searing flour) or ordering a mixed drink that was made with a well liquor instead of the gluten-free, top shelf item I had asked for. I never order anything that doesn't come in a bottle now if I am out with friends, especially in a busy, loud environment where people don't hear you or are so busy they make mistakes. My fiance and I refer to these as 'the rules'!

I've had four (4) incidents in the past 3 years like this (since going gluten-free), when I thought I was being safe and I wasn't, but it was only in the three most recent that I vomited, so my experience jives with that of other forum users who seem to say that over time their reactions to gluten worsen. It takes me longer to recover from ingesting actual gluten in food form than it does drinking liquor made with gluten. What scares me the most about the fact that my reaction has worsened is my heart health. Vomiting like that is not just uncomfortable, it's scary!

For the last month, I've been religiously taking a probiotic, as well as a B complex vitamin. I've also been making a concerted effort to eat lots of naturally gluten-free and corn free fermented foods, like Kombucha, miso made without soy, relishes, etc. I think that these things are really improving my overall energy and health, and hopefully they'll help my gut. They seem to have decreased my recovery time after my last vomiting bout. Usually it would take me a full week to feel 'normal', but I bounced back much more quickly this time. I wish I had started with the probiotic right away.

• 4 years later...
beachbum Newbie
On 6/23/2012 at 1:32 PM, bjpn said:

My experience is similar.  13 years since diagnosis.  Although nausea has been a symptom for me vomiting is not typical.  I was glad to see this post...when I have an atypical reaction it is easy to doubt myself.  After eating out, I awoke in the early morning very nauseous and finally ended up in several vomiting episodes.  Once my stomach was clear, I felt much better and I did not end up with the cramping and bloating.  I had no signs of food poisoning or stomach flu and it ended as abruptly as it began so I'm sure it was gluten.

Hellodee2 Explorer

I'm 11 yrs diagnosed and if I get glutened I puke like there's no tomorrow. Once it's all out I feel great but if I don't throw up, I suffer for days...to the point of having to go to the emergency room. I'm 52 yrs old and also going through menopause so none of this is fun for me. If I eat something and 2 hours later I feel nauseous; I have a bag or bucket with me and I let it fly. I think getting the gluten out as quick as possible is the best thing for you.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

My last huge exposure with a meal containing gluten was back last June....Yeah I was vomiting and dry heaving so hard I was puking blood and black gunk, turned completely white and lost motor control collapsing in my door way and laid there for about 6 hours til I could get to the couch. I had a friend watching over me, side note my heart rate monitor registered at around 36bpm durning a good part of this.  Next day was D followed by days of C.

Started vomiting 3 hours after eating it. went over and over with the waiter, it was a special occasion I ordered steamed veggies, coleslaw, and small amount of pulled chicken. Later came to learn 2 sources of contamination 1 the veggies where fresh steamed.....over pasta water. This was sort of my fault as the first time they brought me a bowl of it coated in garlic butter.....seems this is gluten free and they get sent the seasoned veggies frozen from a supplier. I asked they make them without the butter and they had to do them fresh and seemly forgot my initial issues. 2. They coat the chicken with flour thickened basting sauce while smoking it as a "Secret Method" for extra flavor and is not even disclosed much to staff. Withing about 20 min I could feel my the lymph nodes under my neck start swelling.....and I knew it then. I finished the meal and rushed home knowing all hell would break loose and it did.

• 4 months later...
Beffie Newbie

Sitting by the toilet right now reading this to console myself :) I have this down to a fine art after 5 years - if I ingest enough gluten I have a 2 hr window before I chunder for up to 4 hours on and off. Cooked dinner for a friend and accidentally switched bowls and ate the wrong pasta dish- we laughed initially but I feel awful now. Somehow every time I've had some form of tomato based dish, which is truly horrible on the way up, so I stuff paper in my nose to try and prevent the smell 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
7 hours ago, Beffie said:

Sitting by the toilet right now reading this to console myself :) I have this down to a fine art after 5 years - if I ingest enough gluten I have a 2 hr window before I chunder for up to 4 hours on and off. Cooked dinner for a friend and accidentally switched bowls and ate the wrong pasta dish- we laughed initially but I feel awful now. Somehow every time I've had some form of tomato based dish, which is truly horrible on the way up, so I stuff paper in my nose to try and prevent the smell 

I still have the OCD habit of cleaning my toilet 3-4 times a week, you always want to have the porcelain god clean if you end up praying to it for 4+ hours. Not happened in a long time but I still just in case keep it clean.

• 9 months later...
Brittanymay Newbie

I have been gluten poisoned 6 times now. And every single time it’s the same. Almost two hours of accidentally consuming gluten. I get hot, sweaty, nauseous and bloated. I then have about 15 minutes before the violent throwing up begins which last for hours. It’s so bad I can barely stand. It completely drains me where I can barely walk after. Followed by a few days of cramps. You are not alone! My sister has the same reaction. I think it depends on how long you’ve had celiac. Looking back I know I had for at least 15 years before bro g diagnosed. Now it’s been out of my system for 6 years and once it gets in my reactions become more severe. 

Have you found any answers? I’m afraid that when I get poinsoned it’s causing serious damage to my intestines and might be harmful. 

Brittany 

• 4 years later...
Mathew Contributor
On 10/29/2008 at 3:27 AM, 2wheels4eyes said:

Hi all,

2 years since diagnosis and life is pretty fantastic, except for two or three times a year when I have an accidental run-in with gluten. Last night was the night and after dinner (Ethiopian--yes, got teff-only injera, spoke to the owner/manager, the cooks, gave them my Triumph Dining card, my gluten radar was quiet, everything seemed a-ok...) a friend and I headed to a concert.

By song two of the opening act, I was violently vomiting--for about an hour and a half. I felt sorry for myself, I was terribly embarrassed (the women's washroom was small and crowded, etc.) So no fun at all, but what struck me was that when my friend went to get a staff member (more paper towels, more water, a new garbage bag, etc.) the staff member herself had celiac. And she said, "Uhh... I get sick, but I never get sick like that..."

And later, when it seemed I would never stop vomiting, she said she wanted to call an ambulance. I kept saying, no, no, as soon as I can make it through your lobby and out the door, I'm going home (and I did make it through the lobby, but then kept vomiting on the sidewalk, so couldn't even have my friend drive me home for a bit yet). At which point, the cramping was so bad, had I had any energy left to cry, I surely would have.

And this happens, oh, 2-3 times a year, and it's for sure gluten, not food poisoning, etc. I figured everyone went through this, but is that not the case?

How many of you are vomiting that violent, prolonged, projectile vomit as adults (I know it's more common in kids?)

Is it typically with gluten in certain forms, or in certain kinds of foods or certain combinations? (I accidentally ate two forkfuls of orzo salad this summer and felt very badly, but didn't throw up at all after, so what's going on?)

And what do you do when it happens?

I take an anti-cramping med after, but no point in taking it earlier if I can't keep it down... Is there any such thing as a sublingual (under-the-tongue) anti-nausea or anti-cramping med? Or is there anything else that works for you?

Thanks all for your help and insight!

Me mate. Vomitting and ive never felt colder. Im frozen to the core. I sweat absolute buckets. This is from CC in a gluten free house. I sweat every night whether ive been glutened or not.