This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Some Help And Advice For Child With Celiac

katdw

katdw Rookie

Hi, I am fairly new to all this. My daughter who is 10 has celiac. She has had all the blood work and a biopsy performed. We have seen the nutrionist and she gave me a bunch of info. But we are struggling though with foods that she likes. Before being diagnosed with this she was a picky eater and now to get her to eat gluten free is even more of a challenge. I need some good ideas, recipes, advice anything you guys can give me to help with my daughters diet. I dont want her to feel abnormal or left out so I want to provide her with things other kids like and eat. She loves mac and cheese, any kind of pasta(no sauce), tortillas, tacos etc. She is not a meat eater so this really concerns me as well. Sorry to go on and on, I just need some pointers on how to shop for her and some ideas. I also wanted to mention we just purchased a bread machine so any good breads would be appreciated to. We tryed the Glutiono and it was not that good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Hi - A lot of people recommend Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults by Connie Sarros. You could also try Amy's rice mac and cheese, Ian's gluten-free fish sticks and chicken nuggets, and Van's wheat free waffles.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I'm sorry this won't help much in the short term, but...

I'm really enjoying rice pasta (Tinkyada is a good, widely available brand). My husband thinks the pasta is strange, but he doesn't have gluten problem. Honestly, I can't tell the difference! It might be because I've already been off gluten for two months... or maybe because I'm getting a bit desperate for pasta ;) It's not easy adjusting to a new diet (especially when you're a picky eater), but I think it does get easier with time.

Tortillas and tacos can be made with corn, so that shouldn't be a major problem. You might be surprised what you find once you start looking around stores for new products. I've lived in the same town for four years, but until yesterday I didn't realize there was a place to get gluten-free doughnuts! :P Not that I'm planning to eat a lot of doughnuts, but it's nice knowing I can get them if I want. (They're made by Kinnikinnic... I found them in the frozen section of an ethnic/health food store).

Rondar2001 Apprentice

I found with my daughter that for the first few months she hated every bread she tried. Now that it has been awhile since she has had regular bread, she seems to enjoy the gluten free types more. She really likes the Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread.

She was a picky eater too so I try to get her involved with cooking all the meals and this seems to make her more intested in trying new things.

debmom Newbie

The pasta we found that is delicious is something like Tinkeyada. I know I have it spelled incorrectly, but I'm at work and can't remember the exact spelling. We have also found that the 123 gluten free mixes are amazing. Our non-celiac famly members prefer them to regular cakes and brownies, but the best brownie mix for the money is the Whole Foods 365 brand gluten free. Vans waffles are great. Again, our non-celiac family members eat them every day. Whole Foods baked goods in the frozen section are also amazing, but expensive. we also have found that quinoa is a great substitute for pasta.

Good luck!

Darn210 Enthusiast

What Rondar said has always been something that I have wondered about. In hindsight, I wondered if no matter what, my daughter was not going to like the bread until she had time to "lose" the taste/texture of the wheat bread :huh::huh: Not really sure . . . However, we use Pamela's wheat-free/gluten-free bread. Works great in the bread machine. And even though we've only got one Celiac in the house and have regular bread for the rest of the nonCeliacs, we've all had the Pamela's and the general consensus in the house is it's the best. We also use it for our pizza crust, dinner rolls, and cinnamon rolls. We also use the Pamela's pancake and baking mix for pancakes(make extra and freeze and pop out at anytime and microwave)

Bell & Evans gluten-free chicken nuggets/tenders (well-loved by my nonCeliac son)

Van's waffles (also well-loved by my nonCeliac son)

Cereals are Rice Chex, Fruity Pebbles and Health Valley Corn Crunchems (like corn chex)

Glutino Pretzels

Homemade Chex mix is a big hit (use Lea & Parrins Worcestershire Sauce)

Back to Nature rice thins is my daughter's favourite crackers (the chedder and tomato herb)

Tinkyada is our pasta of choice (we all eat it and had absolutely no problem with switching over) - also it comes in a wide variety of shapes. The "cheese packet" out of the Kraft (blue box) mac & cheese is OK to use just watch your handling (I actually rinse it off before I open it) You can also find containers of "mac&cheese popcorn cheese" or something like that which is also from Kraft - pretty much the same thing but not always easily found - if a store carries it, it is usually with the parmesean cheese.

For school lunches her "entree" is usually one of three . . . peanut butter on a corn thin (like a rice cake but thinner), peanut butter and nutella on a pancake - folded in half (she calls it her peanutbutternutellataco . . . all one word :lol: ) or loose ham and cheese (stick or slices) sometimes with the glutino (looks like a ritz) crackers. We also send mac&cheese or a hot dog in a thermos. For birthday parties where they notoriously have pizza, she takes the lunchables "nachos" in the snack size (where it doesn't include the drink and little gluten candy bar).

Does she have some prediagnosis favourite recipes that we can help you convert? A lot of time, the recipe stays the same and it's a matter of buying a different brand for one of the ingredients. For instance, I now use Progresso creamy mushroom soup instead of Campbell's cream of mushroom in my caseroles. I do have to puree it in a blender first though because it actually has recognizeable "mushrooms" :lol: and the worst part of that is because it's not the kids but my HUSBAND who doesn't like to see mushrooms :lol::lol:

katdw Rookie

wow you guys have some really good ideas. one mom asked me about a favorite recipe and I would have to say her favorites are: mac & cheese, cheese pizza, and tacos. Anyone have some good affordable recipes for these things that I could make in bulk? Also, can i make any doughs, cookies etc in the bread machine? With the holidays coming up I really need some ideas and recipes. So anybody willing to share some recipes with me I would greatly appreciate it. One last recipe I am also looking for is holiday dough ornaments(gluten free)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

My son is 10 and I cook gluten-free for him. Click on my profile to find a link to what we do for school lunches. If you have any questions you can PM me or leave a comment there. He doesn't care for the breads so he eats rice, potatoes instead. He likes the Glutino pretzels, Namaste Chocolate cake mix made into cupcakes(freeze extra unfrosted), popcorn, gelatin(we like to make it with fruit juice and unflavored gelatin), fruit juice popsicles in dollar store molds, freeze dried fruit and dried fruit, fruit leather, coco krispy bars made with Envirokids Koala Crisp and regular marshmallows, I make homemade chicken nuggets-pulse a loaf of the EnerG light rice bread in the food processor or blender and use for the breading(freeze the extra crumbs in a ziplock), use Rice Chex pulsed in the food processor or blender for the crumbs in meatballs, meatloaf etc., Ore Ida has a list of their products that are gluten-free on their website, Pamela's pancake and baking mix is good for pancakes and waffles. For tacos I use Whole Foods 365 or Garden of Eaten(SP?) hard taco shells. I'm sure there are other safe brands.

I also get my son involved in cooking and baking from time to time. As far as intoducing more variety, make sure it shows up on the family table and in her lunch in small quantity from time to time. I used to add a single cherry tomato to my son's lunch from time to time and they weren't eaten at first but after a while he gave it a try and now likes them. They are the only tomatoes he'll eat. Growing them ourselves made them more appealing too.

I will advise that you make sure that she gets enough protein and overall balance in her diet. It can be from dairy, egg or vegetarian sources. I didn't care for meat most of my life either and didn't get enough balance and have some problems as a result. You don't have to overly worry about it but be aware and don't let her live on carbs long term, which is easy to do as they are easily eaten and digested. Also, our digestive tract is sensitive for a while until it heals so she may become less picky and able to eat and digest more with time.

missy'smom Collaborator

I'll add a few more ideas. Kinnikinnick frozen pizza crusts are good(a little expensive). We served one to a neighbor kid and he didn't even know it was gluten-free and liked it. My son likes Annie's mac and cheese box mix. For pizzas we use Enrico's all-natural pizza sauce in a jar. It is available at some regular chain grocery stores.

mom2twoangels Apprentice

as for receipes if you look in the section : Gluten-Free Recipes - Baking & Cooking Tips

On this site there is one for Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies. I am only on my third week trying to cook for my kids and they both really liked this one. I think the pumpkin helps mask the fact that there are "odd" flours in there.

I had to substitute potato / corn flour for the rice as we can't do rice, I also subbed soy butter for regular and they still came out good.

April in KC Apprentice

I have to agree with many of the replies here - this thread is a good one for anyone looking to get a start with kid-friendly gluten-free eating.

The kinnikinnick frozen pizza crusts are really very good - pre-gluten-free, I would have preferred a cracker thin crust, but after gluten-free I kind of miss soft breads, and the Kinnikinnick crust is very soft and bread-like.

They ARE expensive, but I have figured out a way to microwave them that works very well, and the convenience factor of having pizza done in 3 minutes makes it very worthwhile to have twice a week. I just invert a paper plate with some depth, top the fozen crust and nuke for 3 minutes on top of the plate. Then I flip the plate over & serve on it.

Amy's frozen rice mac & cheese is also expensive, but perhaps worth a splurge for situations when a frozen, microwavable meal could come in handy. For example, if she's going to someone else's house for dinner, it might be nice to take one along...or keep a few in relatives' freezers for low-stress visits.

Most gluten-free eating is not more expensive, so it can be worth it to just adjust the grocery budget for a few things that will make life yummy and more convenient.

I also agree about 1-2-3 Gluten Free mixes. I invested in some little 3-cup bundt pans, and instead of 1 huge 12-cup chocolate bundt cake, I make four small ones each time I bake. We freeze them whole and pull them out for birthdays...or give them to Celiac friends as a surprise (which they usually love).

I saw some chocolate and cheese souffles at Target the other day that were naturally gluten free.

The trick is regularity - think in terms of how you are going to regularly feed her...I have a weekly menu that repeats. I have found it makes it much easier to keep the kids happy this way, and I don't have to think so hard about what's going to be for dinner tonight.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I usually make my own pizza crust in the bread machine but on "fast food" nights, I use corn tortillas for the pizza base. This usually follows a pattern; first night, big pan of sauce with meat & mushrooms (your taste) served with his pasta and my pasta. Store extra in fridge and freeze some for next week. On the second night, I make my pizzas with the leftover sauce on corn tortillas. I find that if I toast them in the toaster first they stay firmer. You can buy frozen crusts but they won't be cheaper than tortillas, if that is a concern. And I always have tortillas on hand as a staple. I eat them instead of bread every day.

When I realized by elimination diet I could no longer tolerate gluten, my financial situation was grim. I had to east simply and cheaply. That was probably for the best. Now I just don't like a lot of the expensive products. I either make my own till I find a tasty solution or do without. I know that is harder on a child but I have found if I cook my own food, I can convert most of my favorite foods without a taste difference & some are even better,

I think the suggestions from other posters are excellant. Helping out in the kitchen is a great way to create interest in food!

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

My 8-year-old loves Amy's frozen mac and cheese. They come in handy when we need a quick meal. He also loves Glutino frozen cheese pizza. We do alot of string cheese with deli turkey for lunch. Investing in a small Thermos is also a great idea. That way you can send hot lunches to school. Kinnikinnik (sp) makes great donuts. My son loves the maple glazed and cinnamin (sp) sugar. Tinkyada pasta is our favorite too. I make "mommy helper" with Tinkyada elbow macaroni, Ragu double cheddar sauce, and ground beef. My son also likes BBQ chicken (chicken breasts + BBQ sauce in crockpot). You can shred it and put it in corn tortillas or eat it over rice. He also loves Ore-Ida tator tots and fast food fries. We eat those with cheeseburgers (without buns) a lot. I take my son to the store with me and ask him what he wants for dinners. We then pick and choose items together and make a game out of it. Who can spot the gluten free item the fastest?! That has seemed to perk up his interest in trying new foods.

bbuster Explorer

A staple at our house is Taquitos. I just buy a big bag of them (frozen) and just heat up and serve with salsa and cheese. Just make sure you buy the ones made with corn tortillas and not flour tortillas.

We also do quesadillas (corn tortillas), with or without a little diced meat added to the cheese.

Archived