15 replies to this topic

#1 KristenPK

KristenPK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Does anyone know if Cap'n Crunch-Crunch Berries is gluten free? It looks to be from the label, but I'm not sure about the "natural flavoring" ingredient.

Ingredients:
CORN FLOUR, SUGAR, OAT FLOUR, BROWN SUGAR, COCONUT OIL, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, STRAWBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE, MALIC ACID, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NIACINAMIDE*, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE, YELLOW 5, RED 40, YELLOW 6, BLUE 1, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, BHT (A PRESERVATIVE), RIBOFLAVIN*, FOLIC ACID*.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

It has oat flour - it is not gluten free. Not safe for a Celiac to eat.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

I would be MUCH more concerned about the oat flour than the flavoring. Even if you tolerate pure oats, the oat flour is almost certain to be contaminated with wheat. So, my vote is that it is NOT gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 KristenPK

KristenPK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

I would be MUCH more concerned about the oat flour than the flavoring. Even if you tolerate pure oats, the oat flour is almost certain to be contaminated with wheat. So, my vote is that it is NOT gluten-free.

Thanks for the quick help. We're brand new to this, and didn't know that oat flour was a no-no! Thanks--I'm learning every day.

#5 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, and oats (unless a specialty gluten free oat) are off limits.

Here is some help with label reading:
http://www.celiac.co...3B-Ingredients/

Here are lists of companies that will clearly disclose any gluten source. If you don't see wheat/rye/barley/malt/oats on their labels, then its not hidden.

http://www.glutenfre...ct_updates.html (lots of great links)

http://www.glutenfre...lists/index.htm

Wheat is required to be listed as an allergen by FDA law. Wheat cannot be hidden.

Let us know if you need more help!

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

If you are looking for mainstream cereals ('cause those specialty ones are so expensive :o ) try

Fruity Pebbles
Coco Pebbles
Rice Chex
Tiger&Pooh (kind of like a sweet Kix)
Dora the Explorer Stars (cinnamon-y)
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 Treen Bean

Treen Bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

Are Fruity and Coco Pebbles still gluten free? I thought I read somewhere that they weren't any more. I can't remember where I read it though.
Treen Bean

A gluten free goddess in training! - 2 years and counting

#8 Skeet

Skeet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Pretty sure rice chex has malt flavoring... as do most mainstream cereals. :angry:
My DH has DH. :) That's why I'm here!

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

No, Rice Chex is now gluten-free! It used to have barley malt, but they now use molasses instead.

It even says "now gluten-free!" on the box.

#10 Skeet

Skeet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

No, Rice Chex is now gluten-free! It used to have barley malt, but they now use molasses instead.

It even says "now gluten-free!" on the box.

YAY!! My DH will be SO happy! When we were early into the gluten elimination diet he ate the heck out of rice/corn chex until we figured out the malt thing. I guess corn chex still has the malt flavoring though?
My DH has DH. :) That's why I'm here!

#11 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:14 AM

Rice Chex is the only one thats gluten free.

http://www.chex.com/...a...yId=447&t=5

#12 brenna.v

brenna.v

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Rice Chex is the only one thats gluten free.

http://www.chex.com/...a...yId=447&t=5

They make five different kinds of gluten free cereals now! Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Chocolate Chex and Cinnamon Chex :)

http://www.chex.com/...glutenfree.aspx

#13 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

Here is a good list to refer to if you aren't sure which General Mills products are gluten free:

http://www.liveglute...ts/default.aspx

You can click on the brands on the side to see which products are gluten free, and you can also print a pocket list to take to the store with you. :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#14 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Does anyone know if Cap'n Crunch-Crunch Berries is gluten free? It looks to be from the label, but I'm not sure about the "natural flavoring" ingredient.

Ingredients:
CORN FLOUR, SUGAR, OAT FLOUR, BROWN SUGAR, COCONUT OIL, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, STRAWBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE, MALIC ACID, MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NIACINAMIDE*, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE, YELLOW 5, RED 40, YELLOW 6, BLUE 1, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, BHT (A PRESERVATIVE), RIBOFLAVIN*, FOLIC ACID*.

The ingredient "oat flour" always suggests the presence of gluten, according to Children's Hospital Boston. We just took a celiac nutrition class there this week and that was the advice we were given. They also said to be wary of seemingly gluten free cereals that are not labeled gluten free; as there is evidence of cross contamination in the factory. This is true for Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles... they do not contain gluten in their list of ingredients, however Post Cereals makes gluten-containing cereals in their factory and tests showed that Children eating Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles frequently were ingesting significant amounts of gluten. The only other mainstream cereal I've found (not including those labeled gluten free, like Envirokids} is Chex, which comes in Cinnamon, Chocolate and Strawberry. They are labeled gluten free and do not risk cross contamination. My daughter likes them.

#15 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

If you are looking for mainstream cereals ('cause those specialty ones are so expensive :o ) try

Fruity Pebbles
Coco Pebbles
Rice Chex
Tiger&Pooh (kind of like a sweet Kix)
Dora the Explorer Stars (cinnamon-y)

Hi Janet

My husband and I took a course on Celiac disease for our 6 yr old daughter this past week at Children's Hospital in Boston. They advised us to stay away from Fruity and cocoa Pebbles as the hospital did a study on two celiac siblings who were eating these cereals. One of them had a high gluten count in her blood work and they traced it to her eating the cereal every day. The other rarely ate the cereals and was fine. It turned out, they said, that while the ingredients do not contain gluten, Fruity and cocoa pebbles are manufactured in a Post cereal factory that produces gluten containing cereals and therefore there was significant cross contamination. Hope this helps. Emily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: