arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is Smithfield Ham gluten-free? I'm Confused...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:39 AM

I had a reaction to Smithfield ham that I ate over 3-4 days. My friend, by coincidence, also ate ham during that time and reacted. I don't know what brand she ate. The dextrose was the only thing I wondered about but it s/b OK in the US, right?

"Cured with: water, corn syrup, dextrose, salt, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite."

Anyone have any ideas? I e-mailed Smithfield but no reply yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

I had a reaction to Smithfield ham that I ate over 3-4 days. My friend, by coincidence, also ate ham during that time and reacted. I don't know what brand she ate. The dextrose was the only thing I wondered about but it s/b OK in the US, right?

"Cured with: water, corn syrup, dextrose, salt, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite."

Anyone have any ideas? I e-mailed Smithfield but no reply yet.

I have gotten a very extensive listing of their gluten free products. I can't remember if I got it on line or through e-mail. You can also call them. I was quite impressed. Even the spiral sliced honey baked ham with glaze is NOW gluten free.

I see no gluten in the ingredients that you listed. And, you are correct about the dextrose, otherise, it would be listed at "dextrose (wheat)"

What were the circumstances that you and your friend ate the ham....home, restaurant, social gathering? CC could be a possibility.

Smithfield is a good company.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

We both, unbeknownst to each other, had ham in our homes. My mom bought the ham shared & I had it for breakfast several mornings. I experienced what I call a "slow burn reaction". It takes 3-4 continuous use days for me to fianlly have a reaction, seems like it adds up over the days. My friend also ate in her home from ham she personally bought & ate over several days. We both were together on "reaction day" & compared notes. She's been at this for about 15 years. I'm a one year rookie. I couldn't think what mine was but when she mentioned she thought hers was the ham she had eaten, I said, " I had ham, too!" I didn't have any more after that day & the problems cleared up. So that is all I could think it could be. I didn't eat out and everything else was my normal.

In the spring I had another "slow burn" that I traced to the syrups in my coffee bar. It was the caramel coloring. I know, I shouldn't be sensitive to that but that is what it was. The company was to send me the breakdown but never did. I tolerate any of the syrups that do not contain caramel coloring.

Should I be avoiding Dextrose?

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

Dextrose is fine, unless it states it comes from wheat.

Wheat dextrose, or dextrose (wheat).

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

Just because something does not have gluten in it, doesn't mean that some of us don't react to some things. No rule book here B) Everyone is different.
Lisa

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

We both, unbeknownst to each other, had ham in our homes. My mom bought the ham shared & I had it for breakfast several mornings. I experienced what I call a "slow burn reaction". It takes 3-4 continuous use days for me to fianlly have a reaction, seems like it adds up over the days. My friend also ate in her home from ham she personally bought & ate over several days. We both were together on "reaction day" & compared notes. She's been at this for about 15 years. I'm a one year rookie. I couldn't think what mine was but when she mentioned she thought hers was the ham she had eaten, I said, " I had ham, too!" I didn't have any more after that day & the problems cleared up. So that is all I could think it could be. I didn't eat out and everything else was my normal.

In the spring I had another "slow burn" that I traced to the syrups in my coffee bar. It was the caramel coloring. I know, I shouldn't be sensitive to that but that is what it was. The company was to send me the breakdown but never did. I tolerate any of the syrups that do not contain caramel coloring.

Should I be avoiding Dextrose?

I have a question: Are you basting your ham with a rubber blub baster which
was used in past with a gluten/bread stuffed bird? Or any pan with gluten
residue you cannot scrub off?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#7 JoD

JoD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

I have heard that it is just fine. I'm in the restaurant industry as well as a chef.

#8 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

I'm really stumped and at a loss whether or not I can eat ham now.

I did not baste it mearly fried it with my eggs in my regular pan with my regular utensils. These are the ones I use daily.

I don't know about my friend. She mentioned she used the ham to canned bean soup but as I said, she is an old hand at this so I know she is careful about her preperation. She has a mixed household.

Any other ideas? I sure would like to understand it.

#9 DMarie

DMarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

My daughter felt bad after eating some ham (it was lunch meat ham that looks to be okay). She really thinks it is the ham. My only thought is - are there nitrates/nitrites in it? Maybe the preservative is causing a problem? I'll have to check the ham we had. But since then I purchased some Hormel Naturals ham and turkey lunch meat - which seems to be working fine - and doesn't have any of the "extras" that many others have. I am good with purchasing that since in my opinion, less is more when it comes to food.
Dawn

Gluten Intolerant. Celiac bloodwork - negative (levels were tested after being very low gluten for over a year).
No other testing done (not worth the pain). Mostly Gluten Free since 2003. Stopped all gluten 2006.

2 daughters also gluten intolerant (14 and 18). Youngest is very sensitive. Bloodwork done before trying a gluten free diet - negative. Oldest decided to do a gluten challenge before any testing.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

There is a list of gluten free products from Smithfield Foods. It can either be found on line or by phone. It's fairly extensive. I have a copy, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.
Lisa

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

If there's a grain used in the ham it has to be listed. This includes barley. Dextrose is a safe ingredient. DEXTRIN can be made from wheat, but the wheat would have to be listed.

richard

#12 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

Now that I have been reading about nitrites and nitrates, I wonder if I was reacting to those. Good call, DMarie. I will watch out for those. I seldom eat lunchmeats or ham. But now I know that I might not tolerate nitrites & nitrates.

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Now that I have been reading about nitrites and nitrates, I wonder if I was reacting to those. Good call, DMarie. I will watch out for those. I seldom eat lunchmeats or ham. But now I know that I might not tolerate nitrites & nitrates.

Sometimes we just never know. Maybe you can wait some time and try it again. Or, maybe not. :P
Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: