This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constipation

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

i wish i could eat fiber one to help with daily constipation.

is there anything else i can eat/or do everyday?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Three safe ideas to get things moving:

- Prunes :P

- Vitamin C supplements (you can't really overdose on it, because your body will just excrete whatever you can't use... this has given me diarrhea before!)

- Magnesium supplements... I've read that you can start with 200mg and work up to 600-800mg. If you start getting diarrhea just cut back

• 4 weeks later...
msmini14 Enthusiast

I hope someone sees this, I didnt want to start a new topic. I some what have constipation but my stool is soft. I know I am not going enough, but not sure if I should take a laxative. I sometimes get stomach pains and I only go once in the morning and it is a very small amount. Has been like this for over a month.

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

I am not prego, searched the site for constipation.

• 4 weeks later...
MinRalph Rookie

I have actually struggled from constipation for years. I have been gluten-free (with the occasional contamination of course) for about 5 years now but my GI tract is so damaged that I actually have to do enemas weekly... Probably for the rest of my life.

I have tried everything in the past and nothing works except for magnesium citrate (which is herrendous) and fleet enemas.

I just found out I'm pregnant and am concerned about this issue since I know it's not good to use enemas while pregnant. If anyone knows anything about this that would greatly help. Thanks.

leadmeastray88 Contributor

Whenever I'm constipated, this is what I do and it is the ONLY thing that works for me. Best part is it's NARURAL and SAFE for anyone!

I boil water, fill a tall mug with it and drink it straight. NO lemon, NO tea or it won't work! Just boiling hot water, as hot as you can stand. It's unbelievable how it works. I did this multiple times when I had stomach surgery and hadn't gone in 4 days and couldn't push, and then I went within the hour. My aunt who is an RN told me about this and I know from experience it works like a charm! :)

MinRalph Rookie
Whenever I'm constipated, this is what I do and it is the ONLY thing that works for me. Best part is it's NARURAL and SAFE for anyone!

I boil water, fill a tall mug with it and drink it straight. NO lemon, NO tea or it won't work! Just boiling hot water, as hot as you can stand. It's unbelievable how it works. I did this multiple times when I had stomach surgery and hadn't gone in 4 days and couldn't push, and then I went within the hour. My aunt who is an RN told me about this and I know from experience it works like a charm! :)

Thanks for posting this! I'll definately try it!

• 3 weeks later...
bmpress Newbie

Try eating a large salad every day with dinner which must have lots of romaine lettuce.

Works for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HiDee Rookie

Leadmeastray is right, drinking hot water is a fantastic help for constipation, hot apple juice also works well. But I think the main issue is to just drink lots of water (not hot) regularly. Drink AT LEAST 8, 8oz. glasses a day of water (milk and juice don't count, they're extra) or more, especially if you are pregnant because you need to consume extra water with a baby inside. I've found water to be THE biggest factor in whether or not I am regular. It's hard to get in the habit of drinking so much (and it is a hassle to go to the bathroom every few minutes it seems like when you're pregnant) but it really helps. I try to carry a large glass of water around the house with me or water bottle on the go and drink and re-fill it often.

ALSO, regular orange smooth texture Metamucil is gluten free, I also take this frequently for extra fiber.

Good luck.

Beth41777 Rookie

I suffer from constipation, have most of my life, and since going gluten free I have discovered that the constipation is one of the main symptoms of my celiac. (That and being bloated and very gassy.) Not pleasant to say the least! When I get glutened by accident (I try so hard to be careful) I suffer for weeks - months afterward with constipation, gas, etc... Drinking water helps, exercise helps, and I am sure I would feel better if I ate more fruit and veggies too. It is not good to start using laxatives, as your body can become depended on them. On the other hand I can't say I don't use one now and then, but it's not very often. Be careful when drinking water. Drinking 64 ounces a day or so is great but don't guzzle it all at one time or go overboard. You can acctually drink too much water and become overhydrated (causing our fluid and electrolyte balance to be off) and that can be dangerous.

Archived