8 replies to this topic

#1 blondebombshell

blondebombshell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

i wish i could eat fiber one to help with daily constipation.
is there anything else i can eat/or do everyday?
- gluten free since August 2007
- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007
- bloodwork confirms egg allergy
- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Three safe ideas to get things moving:

- Prunes :P

- Vitamin C supplements (you can't really overdose on it, because your body will just excrete whatever you can't use... this has given me diarrhea before!)

- Magnesium supplements... I've read that you can start with 200mg and work up to 600-800mg. If you start getting diarrhea just cut back
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

I hope someone sees this, I didnt want to start a new topic. I some what have constipation but my stool is soft. I know I am not going enough, but not sure if I should take a laxative. I sometimes get stomach pains and I only go once in the morning and it is a very small amount. Has been like this for over a month.
If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.
I am not prego, searched the site for constipation.

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#4 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

I have actually struggled from constipation for years. I have been gluten-free (with the occasional contamination of course) for about 5 years now but my GI tract is so damaged that I actually have to do enemas weekly... Probably for the rest of my life.

I have tried everything in the past and nothing works except for magnesium citrate (which is herrendous) and fleet enemas.

I just found out I'm pregnant and am concerned about this issue since I know it's not good to use enemas while pregnant. If anyone knows anything about this that would greatly help. Thanks.
~Melinda~

Celiac: Diagnosed 2003

#5 leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

Whenever I'm constipated, this is what I do and it is the ONLY thing that works for me. Best part is it's NARURAL and SAFE for anyone!
I boil water, fill a tall mug with it and drink it straight. NO lemon, NO tea or it won't work! Just boiling hot water, as hot as you can stand. It's unbelievable how it works. I did this multiple times when I had stomach surgery and hadn't gone in 4 days and couldn't push, and then I went within the hour. My aunt who is an RN told me about this and I know from experience it works like a charm! :)
~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008
9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)
Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines
July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"
Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"
Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301
Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history
National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

#6 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

Whenever I'm constipated, this is what I do and it is the ONLY thing that works for me. Best part is it's NARURAL and SAFE for anyone!
I boil water, fill a tall mug with it and drink it straight. NO lemon, NO tea or it won't work! Just boiling hot water, as hot as you can stand. It's unbelievable how it works. I did this multiple times when I had stomach surgery and hadn't gone in 4 days and couldn't push, and then I went within the hour. My aunt who is an RN told me about this and I know from experience it works like a charm! :)

Thanks for posting this! I'll definately try it!
~Melinda~

Celiac: Diagnosed 2003

#7 bmpress

bmpress

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Try eating a large salad every day with dinner which must have lots of romaine lettuce.
Works for me.
Barry

#8 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

Leadmeastray is right, drinking hot water is a fantastic help for constipation, hot apple juice also works well. But I think the main issue is to just drink lots of water (not hot) regularly. Drink AT LEAST 8, 8oz. glasses a day of water (milk and juice don't count, they're extra) or more, especially if you are pregnant because you need to consume extra water with a baby inside. I've found water to be THE biggest factor in whether or not I am regular. It's hard to get in the habit of drinking so much (and it is a hassle to go to the bathroom every few minutes it seems like when you're pregnant) but it really helps. I try to carry a large glass of water around the house with me or water bottle on the go and drink and re-fill it often.
ALSO, regular orange smooth texture Metamucil is gluten free, I also take this frequently for extra fiber.
Good luck.

#9 Beth41777

Beth41777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:32 AM

I suffer from constipation, have most of my life, and since going gluten free I have discovered that the constipation is one of the main symptoms of my celiac. (That and being bloated and very gassy.) Not pleasant to say the least! When I get glutened by accident (I try so hard to be careful) I suffer for weeks - months afterward with constipation, gas, etc... Drinking water helps, exercise helps, and I am sure I would feel better if I ate more fruit and veggies too. It is not good to start using laxatives, as your body can become depended on them. On the other hand I can't say I don't use one now and then, but it's not very often. Be careful when drinking water. Drinking 64 ounces a day or so is great but don't guzzle it all at one time or go overboard. You can acctually drink too much water and become overhydrated (causing our fluid and electrolyte balance to be off) and that can be dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: