#1 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hello,

Does anyone else get severe canker sores (covers inside of cheeks, tongue, roof of mouth, etc.), blisters on their lips and blisters on their fingers? I get an outbreak like this once every 3 or 4 months, and I'm down for 3-4 weeks each time. I have been led to believe tht I have an allergy to caffeine, so i avoid it like the plague. But, after reading more about Celiacs, and looking at other symotoms in my life, I think I may need to go gluten free. Anyone else have a silimar experience? Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LIS_Guy

LIS_Guy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

Canker sores are one of the documented symptoms of Celiac. I get them all the time. I am currently being investigated for Celiac (biopsy on wednesday) and I am also undergoing testing for primary immune deficiency disease, because of my chronic infections (ears, sinuses, throat, etc).

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:49 AM

I always had canker sores on and off--and for about the last 6 months before I was diagnosed I had odd "blisters" on my fingers and the inside of my forearm. They were not painful, but very itchy-- a lot like a chicken pox type blister.

Both have disappeared since going gluten-free.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

I had blisters on my fingers and palms of hands. They ate half of my hand. They got so bad I could only use my index finger and thumb. I had to use steriod cream at that point to heal them. It was awful. I stopped eating wheat and they went away. I rarely get them now and if I do it is very minor.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#5 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. This is very interesting. I visited my family doctor today, and had a series of blood tests done, including the one for Celiac. I will get my results next week, and will hopefully learn the cause of my sores! Thanks again!

#6 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Canker sores are one of the documented symptoms of Celiac. I get them all the time. I am currently being investigated for Celiac (biopsy on wednesday) and I am also undergoing testing for primary immune deficiency disease, because of my chronic infections (ears, sinuses, throat, etc).

Good Luck tomorrow LIS_Guy. :)
I get my blood results back next Tuesday.
After the pain and hell of these breakouts, I am hoping I have finally found my answer.

#7 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

I had blisters on my fingers and palms of hands. They ate half of my hand. They got so bad I could only use my index finger and thumb. I had to use steriod cream at that point to heal them. It was awful. I stopped eating wheat and they went away. I rarely get them now and if I do it is very minor.

Fedora,
Were the blisters on your hands filled with a clear liquid, and start out looking like little bubble? I am anxiously awaiting my blood tests. Still have a week to wait. I have 19 finger blisters at the moment, and just want to itch my hand off!!! Thank you for sharing your info. Angie

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:40 AM

Canker sores and especially finger blisters are among the symptoms that went away when I stopped eating gluten and come back when I get glutened.

#9 TedL

TedL

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

I also had a real problem with canker sores which has mostly gone away since going gluten free. I pretty much tried every product on the market to help with them. Here are some recommendations if you're still suffering:

Canker Cover -- this is a patch that goes in your mouth and slowly dissolves in about 8 hours. I recommend using this only at night as it makes it a little difficult to speak and eat.

Canker Rid (from Durham's Bee Farm) -- This is a bit messy and hard to apply, but it definitely works. Just a warning that it's painful when first applied, but the pain goes away quickly.

Orabase Soothe N Seal -- This is basically glue that dries over the sore and protects it. This is fairly easy to apply and it works, but it doesn't seem to last for too long.

I don't recommend any of the pain-numbing gels as they only work for a few minutes and irritate the sore when they're being applied.

Regards,
Ted

#10 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

I also had a real problem with canker sores which has mostly gone away since going gluten free. I pretty much tried every product on the market to help with them. Here are some recommendations if you're still suffering:

Canker Cover -- this is a patch that goes in your mouth and slowly dissolves in about 8 hours. I recommend using this only at night as it makes it a little difficult to speak and eat.

Canker Rid (from Durham's Bee Farm) -- This is a bit messy and hard to apply, but it definitely works. Just a warning that it's painful when first applied, but the pain goes away quickly.

Orabase Soothe N Seal -- This is basically glue that dries over the sore and protects it. This is fairly easy to apply and it works, but it doesn't seem to last for too long.

I don't recommend any of the pain-numbing gels as they only work for a few minutes and irritate the sore when they're being applied.

Regards,
Ted

Hi Ted,
Thank you for your recommendations. I tried that Canker Cover last week, and I think it would be great for individualized sores. My entire mouth, and lips are covered in ulcers, so i'd need a Canker Blanket! I did however put 6 of those patches in one spot, and it did help there. But, I cant imagine a whole mouth of those things! (They puff up, and get jelly-like).
I may try some of your other topical ideas.
Thanks again,
Angie

#11 SeMeCl

SeMeCl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

I grew up with canker sores always in my mouth. ALWAYS! My mom would bug the dentist about things to help. I was six, eight, ten, etc. and hardly had a brake from the things. Once I went gluten free, they were gone and stayed gone. I now get them if I get glutened sometimes and I also get ones that are random and far apart like normal people. It was definitely one of my symptoms.
Diagnosed gluten intolerant: 10/2002
Undiagnosed: all of my life
Mostly gluten-free (with some relapses) since: 10/2002
Possible IBS: 2007

Dedicated to ENTIRELY gluten-free: 10/2008

Currently in Chile: 08/2008-12/2008

#12 AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

I grew up with canker sores always in my mouth. ALWAYS! My mom would bug the dentist about things to help. I was six, eight, ten, etc. and hardly had a brake from the things. Once I went gluten free, they were gone and stayed gone. I now get them if I get glutened sometimes and I also get ones that are random and far apart like normal people. It was definitely one of my symptoms.

SeMeCl,
Wow, thank you for sharing your experiences. I am at my witts end with these darn things. And just today I was told by a nurse, "Oh those aren't one of the symptoms of Celaics." I wish she could see this forum!!
Thank you.

#13 LIS_Guy

LIS_Guy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

And just today I was told by a nurse, "Oh those aren't one of the symptoms of Celaics."

That's interesting, since canker sores are well-documented to be associated with Celiac Disease and is referenced by every reputable site I have looked at, including the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclini...DSECTION=causes

LIS

#14 IMWalt

IMWalt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

I had plenty of canker sores when I was young. Not so much anymore. No blisters, but I have had a big problem with the skin on the end of my fingers cracking, usually when it is cold. My GI does not think it's related, but since going gluten-free, I rarely get them, and when I do they are not as severe.

Walt
Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.

#15 leadmeastray88

leadmeastray88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

Yes!!
I know when I've been glutened because I get really painful canker sores. It's the tell-tale sign for me.
~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008
9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)
Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines
July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"
Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"
Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202
HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301
Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history
National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: