This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canker Sores And Finger Blisters

AngieInMidwest

AngieInMidwest Newbie

Hello,

Does anyone else get severe canker sores (covers inside of cheeks, tongue, roof of mouth, etc.), blisters on their lips and blisters on their fingers? I get an outbreak like this once every 3 or 4 months, and I'm down for 3-4 weeks each time. I have been led to believe tht I have an allergy to caffeine, so i avoid it like the plague. But, after reading more about Celiacs, and looking at other symotoms in my life, I think I may need to go gluten free. Anyone else have a silimar experience? Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LIS-Guy Rookie

Canker sores are one of the documented symptoms of Celiac. I get them all the time. I am currently being investigated for Celiac (biopsy on wednesday) and I am also undergoing testing for primary immune deficiency disease, because of my chronic infections (ears, sinuses, throat, etc).

jerseyangel Proficient

I always had canker sores on and off--and for about the last 6 months before I was diagnosed I had odd "blisters" on my fingers and the inside of my forearm. They were not painful, but very itchy-- a lot like a chicken pox type blister.

Both have disappeared since going gluten-free.

fedora Enthusiast

I had blisters on my fingers and palms of hands. They ate half of my hand. They got so bad I could only use my index finger and thumb. I had to use steriod cream at that point to heal them. It was awful. I stopped eating wheat and they went away. I rarely get them now and if I do it is very minor.

AngieInMidwest Newbie

Thank you everyone for your feedback. This is very interesting. I visited my family doctor today, and had a series of blood tests done, including the one for Celiac. I will get my results next week, and will hopefully learn the cause of my sores! Thanks again!

AngieInMidwest Newbie
Canker sores are one of the documented symptoms of Celiac. I get them all the time. I am currently being investigated for Celiac (biopsy on wednesday) and I am also undergoing testing for primary immune deficiency disease, because of my chronic infections (ears, sinuses, throat, etc).

Good Luck tomorrow LIS_Guy. :)

I get my blood results back next Tuesday.

After the pain and hell of these breakouts, I am hoping I have finally found my answer.

AngieInMidwest Newbie
I had blisters on my fingers and palms of hands. They ate half of my hand. They got so bad I could only use my index finger and thumb. I had to use steriod cream at that point to heal them. It was awful. I stopped eating wheat and they went away. I rarely get them now and if I do it is very minor.

Fedora,

Were the blisters on your hands filled with a clear liquid, and start out looking like little bubble? I am anxiously awaiting my blood tests. Still have a week to wait. I have 19 finger blisters at the moment, and just want to itch my hand off!!! Thank you for sharing your info. Angie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Canker sores and especially finger blisters are among the symptoms that went away when I stopped eating gluten and come back when I get glutened.

TedL Newbie

I also had a real problem with canker sores which has mostly gone away since going gluten free. I pretty much tried every product on the market to help with them. Here are some recommendations if you're still suffering:

Canker Cover -- this is a patch that goes in your mouth and slowly dissolves in about 8 hours. I recommend using this only at night as it makes it a little difficult to speak and eat.

Canker Rid (from Durham's Bee Farm) -- This is a bit messy and hard to apply, but it definitely works. Just a warning that it's painful when first applied, but the pain goes away quickly.

Orabase Soothe N Seal -- This is basically glue that dries over the sore and protects it. This is fairly easy to apply and it works, but it doesn't seem to last for too long.

I don't recommend any of the pain-numbing gels as they only work for a few minutes and irritate the sore when they're being applied.

Regards,

Ted

AngieInMidwest Newbie
I also had a real problem with canker sores which has mostly gone away since going gluten free. I pretty much tried every product on the market to help with them. Here are some recommendations if you're still suffering:

Canker Cover -- this is a patch that goes in your mouth and slowly dissolves in about 8 hours. I recommend using this only at night as it makes it a little difficult to speak and eat.

Canker Rid (from Durham's Bee Farm) -- This is a bit messy and hard to apply, but it definitely works. Just a warning that it's painful when first applied, but the pain goes away quickly.

Orabase Soothe N Seal -- This is basically glue that dries over the sore and protects it. This is fairly easy to apply and it works, but it doesn't seem to last for too long.

I don't recommend any of the pain-numbing gels as they only work for a few minutes and irritate the sore when they're being applied.

Regards,

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your recommendations. I tried that Canker Cover last week, and I think it would be great for individualized sores. My entire mouth, and lips are covered in ulcers, so i'd need a Canker Blanket! I did however put 6 of those patches in one spot, and it did help there. But, I cant imagine a whole mouth of those things! (They puff up, and get jelly-like).

I may try some of your other topical ideas.

Thanks again,

Angie

SeMeCl Apprentice

I grew up with canker sores always in my mouth. ALWAYS! My mom would bug the dentist about things to help. I was six, eight, ten, etc. and hardly had a brake from the things. Once I went gluten free, they were gone and stayed gone. I now get them if I get glutened sometimes and I also get ones that are random and far apart like normal people. It was definitely one of my symptoms.

AngieInMidwest Newbie
I grew up with canker sores always in my mouth. ALWAYS! My mom would bug the dentist about things to help. I was six, eight, ten, etc. and hardly had a brake from the things. Once I went gluten free, they were gone and stayed gone. I now get them if I get glutened sometimes and I also get ones that are random and far apart like normal people. It was definitely one of my symptoms.

SeMeCl,

Wow, thank you for sharing your experiences. I am at my witts end with these darn things. And just today I was told by a nurse, "Oh those aren't one of the symptoms of Celaics." I wish she could see this forum!!

Thank you.

LIS-Guy Rookie
And just today I was told by a nurse, "Oh those aren't one of the symptoms of Celaics."

That's interesting, since canker sores are well-documented to be associated with Celiac Disease and is referenced by every reputable site I have looked at, including the Mayo Clinic:

Open Original Shared Link

LIS

IMWalt Contributor

I had plenty of canker sores when I was young. Not so much anymore. No blisters, but I have had a big problem with the skin on the end of my fingers cracking, usually when it is cold. My GI does not think it's related, but since going gluten-free, I rarely get them, and when I do they are not as severe.

Walt

leadmeastray88 Contributor

Yes!!

I know when I've been glutened because I get really painful canker sores. It's the tell-tale sign for me.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Hello,

Does anyone else get severe canker sores (covers inside of cheeks, tongue, roof of mouth, etc.), blisters on their lips and blisters on their fingers? I get an outbreak like this once every 3 or 4 months, and I'm down for 3-4 weeks each time. I have been led to believe tht I have an allergy to caffeine, so i avoid it like the plague. But, after reading more about Celiacs, and looking at other symotoms in my life, I think I may need to go gluten free. Anyone else have a silimar experience? Thank you.

I almost forgot about the finger blisters my hubby used to get (he's been dx with celiac disease 4 yrs now).....not DH, but huge angry red eruptions on his fingers that wouldn't heal, that would get infected/ulcerated ...cause the infection to track up his arm :rolleyes:always required hefty antibiotics and dressings.

There are many, many weird symptoms of celiac disease (or a body under attack)......most of them docs DON'T think are related....but we know different ;)

AngieInMidwest Newbie
I almost forgot about the finger blisters my hubby used to get (he's been dx with celiac disease 4 yrs now).....not DH, but huge angry red eruptions on his fingers that wouldn't heal, that would get infected/ulcerated ...cause the infection to track up his arm :rolleyes:always required hefty antibiotics and dressings.

There are many, many weird symptoms of celiac disease (or a body under attack)......most of them docs DON'T think are related....but we know different ;)

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to leave a quick update, since I started this thread. Yesterday a dermatologist diagnosed me with Erythema Multiforme as the cause of my mouth sores and finger blisters. Finally, and answer after 8 years. And, just today my doctor called to tell me some of my blood work was in, and I am Vitamin D and B12 deficient. I will will get my Celiac results on Tuesday. I'm a "healthy" eating vegetarian, so i am shocked that I am low in any vitamins. I wonder if I have had Celiac's for a long time, and the "aftermath" is just now showing it's ugly head. Come on test results.... Angie

Archived