This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pms And Other Hormone Issues

skbird

skbird Contributor

I have been looking for any information about this but only found contrary results. I am curious if other women find they have hormone issues with celiac disease/because of celiac disease that include PMS, bad cramps, heavy menstrual periods and extreme crankiness around "that time". I have read much info about people *not* having periods (ahhhh, what a blessing!) and having infertility issues (I had a miscarriage once when I was only about one month pregnant 16 years ago but haven't tried to have children since) but most of the info I read doesn't address my symptoms/issues.

I was on the pill for 13 years and stopped taking it 4 years ago as my hormones were getting more and more imbalanced. I used progesterone cream for a couple of years and then added Chaste Tree Berry supplements and that weaned me off the cream. Both supplements have helped me somewhat but recently I've been suspecting the Chaste Tree Berry supplement I take might have gluten (modified cellulose gum) and I can't get the company to respond to me to help me find out so I have been trying another weaker brand and the last two cycles for me have been very uncomfortable.

It makes sense to me that being deficient in nutrients would throw off the hormonal balance but what surprises me is that I haven't seen these symptoms described as a possible result of celiac disease. So I'm wondering if they have anything to do with it at all.

Does anyone else have any kind of experiences like this?

Thanks

Stephanie

gluten-free for 4 months now... sending in my Entero Lab test today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

A deficiency in a number of vitamins and minerals can affect the menstrual cycle - in many ways. B vitamins, and calcium, in particular, I believe, can be a factor. (I take extra of both, because of this.) As for why it's not listed as a symptom... probably because it's been too difficult for doctors to connect, since these things occur independently of celiac quite frequently as well.

skbird Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I definitely take a B complex and cal/mag/zinc to help out with these things. I'm just baffled though. I thought I'd found a miracle when I first tried progesterone cream - it helped so much. But I'd like to find a solution that allows my body to start doing its job better, not rely on a supplement for the rest of my life.

Vitex Agnus (Chast Tree Berry) is supposed to stimulate your body to make more of the apropriate hormones. I have all the symptoms of having too little progesterone production on my own or way too much estrogen and I know that is linked to liver activity, which mine seems to be fine on the charts (lab tests always look great) but I have many symptoms of liver congestion.

I know having food intolerances and digestive problems are hard on the liver and/or can be made worse because of sluggish liver function so I try also to take supplements to help my liver (milk thistle, turmeric, raddish and beet juice, dandelion) and find that when I am more diligent I feel better, have more energy, etc. I have been thrown by the question as to whether or not my Vitex Agnus supplement as well as two liver combo supplements (Stone Free and Bupleurum Liver Cleanse by Planetary Formulas) all contain modified cellulose gum, all made by the same company, and I have not been able to find out if they are gluten free. I have called and emailed and left messages and no reply. I'm frustrated by this and can't seem to find equivalent supplements yet to take instead.

Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Stephanie

anerissara Enthusiast

I had these problems *before* going gluten-free, but they cleared up after I quit eating wheat. I think there must have been a connection, because I was having heavy periods and really bad pms before, these were symptoms that showed up about the same time other problems (rashes and bad gi symptoms, etc.) started causing trouble. I'd never had PMS before, but it was an issue for the 3 years before I went gluten-free. It's only been 2 months, but both months I noticed lighter bleeding and no pms! Yea! Hopefully this will keep up.

skbird Contributor

That's actually what I'd hoped would happen for me. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough time. Or maybe I'm getting enough gluten sneaking back into my diet somehow that I'm not aware of. I'm really looking forward to getting my results from Entero Lab. I just sent in my kit today.

I can't think of where I'd still be getting gluten, though.

Stephanie

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Jannette
    Newest Member
    Jannette
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.