4 replies to this topic

#1 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:58 AM

I have been looking for any information about this but only found contrary results. I am curious if other women find they have hormone issues with celiac disease/because of celiac disease that include PMS, bad cramps, heavy menstrual periods and extreme crankiness around "that time". I have read much info about people *not* having periods (ahhhh, what a blessing!) and having infertility issues (I had a miscarriage once when I was only about one month pregnant 16 years ago but haven't tried to have children since) but most of the info I read doesn't address my symptoms/issues.

I was on the pill for 13 years and stopped taking it 4 years ago as my hormones were getting more and more imbalanced. I used progesterone cream for a couple of years and then added Chaste Tree Berry supplements and that weaned me off the cream. Both supplements have helped me somewhat but recently I've been suspecting the Chaste Tree Berry supplement I take might have gluten (modified cellulose gum) and I can't get the company to respond to me to help me find out so I have been trying another weaker brand and the last two cycles for me have been very uncomfortable.

It makes sense to me that being deficient in nutrients would throw off the hormonal balance but what surprises me is that I haven't seen these symptoms described as a possible result of celiac disease. So I'm wondering if they have anything to do with it at all.

Does anyone else have any kind of experiences like this?

Thanks

Stephanie
gluten-free for 4 months now... sending in my Entero Lab test today.
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:11 AM

A deficiency in a number of vitamins and minerals can affect the menstrual cycle - in many ways. B vitamins, and calcium, in particular, I believe, can be a factor. (I take extra of both, because of this.) As for why it's not listed as a symptom... probably because it's been too difficult for doctors to connect, since these things occur independently of celiac quite frequently as well.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the response.

I definitely take a B complex and cal/mag/zinc to help out with these things. I'm just baffled though. I thought I'd found a miracle when I first tried progesterone cream - it helped so much. But I'd like to find a solution that allows my body to start doing its job better, not rely on a supplement for the rest of my life.

Vitex Agnus (Chast Tree Berry) is supposed to stimulate your body to make more of the apropriate hormones. I have all the symptoms of having too little progesterone production on my own or way too much estrogen and I know that is linked to liver activity, which mine seems to be fine on the charts (lab tests always look great) but I have many symptoms of liver congestion.

I know having food intolerances and digestive problems are hard on the liver and/or can be made worse because of sluggish liver function so I try also to take supplements to help my liver (milk thistle, turmeric, raddish and beet juice, dandelion) and find that when I am more diligent I feel better, have more energy, etc. I have been thrown by the question as to whether or not my Vitex Agnus supplement as well as two liver combo supplements (Stone Free and Bupleurum Liver Cleanse by Planetary Formulas) all contain modified cellulose gum, all made by the same company, and I have not been able to find out if they are gluten free. I have called and emailed and left messages and no reply. I'm frustrated by this and can't seem to find equivalent supplements yet to take instead.

Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#4 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:13 PM

I had these problems *before* going gluten-free, but they cleared up after I quit eating wheat. I think there must have been a connection, because I was having heavy periods and really bad pms before, these were symptoms that showed up about the same time other problems (rashes and bad gi symptoms, etc.) started causing trouble. I'd never had PMS before, but it was an issue for the 3 years before I went gluten-free. It's only been 2 months, but both months I noticed lighter bleeding and no pms! Yea! Hopefully this will keep up.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#5 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

That's actually what I'd hoped would happen for me. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough time. Or maybe I'm getting enough gluten sneaking back into my diet somehow that I'm not aware of. I'm really looking forward to getting my results from Entero Lab. I just sent in my kit today.

I can't think of where I'd still be getting gluten, though.

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: