Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Feeling Malnourished

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I went to a new dr yesterday. She's an MD but practices Naturopathy and Homeopathy. We had a 2 hour consult and I told her how I have been feeling. She said that I am suffering from malnutrition which is why I have the rapid heart rate, fatigue and muscle pain. She feels that it can be a magnesium deficiency. She put me on some vitamins but I have to tell you that my gut is soooooooo irritated today from them. She also suggested that I eat some nuts as protein and although walnuts and pecans were NOT one of the allergy foods on my YORK food allergy test....I reacted to them yesterday and today! I immediately felt sick from them. I also made bread today.....successfully for the first time!! Yeah! but after eating some of it I started to get bloated and feel ill as well. So, I pulled out my YORK allergy testing again and found that potatoes are one of the allergy foods. Last week I had a sweet potatoe and was sick all day from it. One of the ingredients of the bread mix was potatoe starch....hhmmmmmmm.

The dr told me that I am reacting to a lot of foods but with time as my gut heals I will be able to eat more foods. Has anyone out there had this experience. She also said that I am probably her worst celiac case with all my other intolerances and health problems.

This weekend I felt sooooooooo hungry and ate continuously but never felt nourished! I haven't been able to sleep because the rapid heart rate is keeping me up and the muscle pain is just so debilitating. I feel exhausted and although I am pushing and trying to be well I keep hitting roadblocks with my diet and the foods that I attempt to eat. I think it is just too soon to add new foods.

I started vitamins last night but after taking them again this morning my gut just started to feel irritated again. I know that I need supplements but my gut is so raw now that I am not sure it is a good idea to continue. I am seeing my GI tomorrow and telling him what has been going on. I only saw him once and he seemed OK...he's the one who referred me to another celiac pt for help with diet. Thurdsay I am seeing my old dr in NY and will probably have her put me back on vitamin infusions just until I get stronger. Any thoughts? anyone else getting vitamin infusions? has anyone had problems with feeling malnourished and getting palpatations and fatigue? Would love to know how you handled it.

Thanks for all your help,

Ads by Google:

I started getting sick several months ago and have been gluten-free now for 4 weeks.

I couldn't take vitamins without it tearing my stomach up. But I now that I need the extra nutrients because of my weight loss. So I tried a smaller one - I found Schiff Vegetarian Multiple that is gluten-free to be ok. I would need to take two of them daily, but I only take one right now. I also do some liquid B vitamins. I couldn't take calcuim either - which I know I need. So I tried Coral Cacium, and it is easier on my stomach. So much bothers my stomach right now that I get really confused on what to eat. I can't eat soy, eggs, potatoes, meat, sugar, dairy and gluten. That leaves a lot of veggies - cooked and raw. Starchy foods like potatoes really bother me. I have to be careful not to eat too much rice and corn. I still have stomach trouble at times. Try soaking the nuts in water for several hours before you eat them. Sometimes that helps. There are times that I'm like you - feel soooo hungry. But other times I feel so full, bloated and constipated that I can't eat anything. I've lost a lot of weight and everyone comments on how thin I am. But what do I eat? I'm getting better each day, but it's a struggle. Anyone else have some suggestions?

Are you taking any sort of probiotics or good bacteria to help your gut heal?

I never had the real difficulty eating (except for a short while) but I definitely had the agonzing muscle pain. I'm not sure your stomach would handle Advil but that's what I took.

richard