This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Prescriptions (birth- Control)

Grace Maureen

Grace Maureen Rookie

I am newly diagnosed with Celiac Sprue and having a tough time finding medications that are gluten-free.

In particular, I need a birth control pill to help manage endometriosis. When I call the drug companies I always get some form of..."the starch in the product is made from corn, however we cannot claim that it is entirely gluten-free because we do not test for it..."

What does that mean? Should I not use that pill then?

Does anyone know of any gluten-free birth control pills that are safe?

My doctor was absolutly no help. He just told me to call around.

Thank you for any guidance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I am newly diagnosed with Celiac Sprue and having a tough time finding medications that are gluten-free.

In particular, I need a birth control pill to help manage endometriosis. When I call the drug companies I always get some form of..."the starch in the product is made from corn, however we cannot claim that it is entirely gluten-free because we do not test for it..."

Welcome!

It means that they cannot verify that a product is gluten free unless they test it. If no gluten ingredients are in a product (meds specifically), I generally assume that it's a CYA statement. Meds are not producted on shared equiptment.

Here is a listing of gluten free meds. It's always good to call the company to have a second confirmation.

Open Original Shared Link

ang1e0251 Contributor

It's not a pill but an insert. I have had good luck with the Nuvaring. My periods are so bad, you name it I feel it, the dr's keep me on continuous with no period any more. WHat a relief! I can function again and feel human. Good luck with your search.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i've been taking Zovia for years now (used to be called Demulen but i think that name brand is discontinued) and haven't had a problem. it's a generic brand so it should be pretty inexpensive if you have a prescription plan. it's about $30 without insurance.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

Ortho Tri-Cyclen is gluten free, I took this for years but recently my doctor changed me over to Lo Estrin 24 Fe which is also gluten free. My dr had me change over to Lo Estrin to figure out if I was bleeding/spotting between periods b/c I have been on Ortho for too many years or if I need to be tested for endometriosis. I have only been on it for almost a month so not really sure yet how much it is helping.

Good Luck hope you can figure what you can take.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Ortho Tri-Cyclen is gluten free

That is definitely good to know, I was going to post a topic about them on here but I guess I don't need to. I haven't started them quite yet..the doc said wait until I get my period. We'll see just how much they help my iron deficiency...(you can find more info about that in my thread in this sub-section)

• 1 month later...
AFleming Newbie

Does any one know if Trinessa (generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen) is gluten free? I have searched on-line and am in th eprocess of trying to get information from the manufacturer. My insurance keeps changing me to the generic and I am leary to take these.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
Does any one know if Trinessa (generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen) is gluten free? I have searched on-line and am in th eprocess of trying to get information from the manufacturer. My insurance keeps changing me to the generic and I am leary to take these.

Sorry I don't know if it is gluten free or not. I know Ortho Tri Cyclen is or at least was when I was on it. If you do not want to take the generic and are okay with paying more for the name brand you can ask your doctor to either put the name brand on the prescription and/or check the do not substitute box. My mail in pharmacy gave me generic couple years ago for Ortho (do not remember what it was called) but I did not feel well when taking it (before gluten free days) I was getting side effects with it that did not go away - so they switched me back to the name brand. I always try to remember to ask my dr to check/initial the do not sub box.

GOOD LUCK

• 8 months later...
clemsnkitti Newbie

I have a gluten intolerance and endometriosis-- I take Seasonale (and other generics-- Jolessa, Quasense) without any problem at all.

Hope this helps! It's nice to have a period only every three months....

krawhitham Newbie

I wanted to add my birth control experience.

I had been on Apri-28 (which is on the gluten-free drugs list) for about 7 years. When I moved from the East Coast to the West Coast, they said I had to switch to the generic out there which is called Reclipsen. Reclipsen is not on the gluten-free list.

I never noticed any problems with gluten UNTIL starting Reclipsen, and so 2 months ago I both stopped taking birth control and went on a gluten-free diet... So just in case anyone was considering that particular drug, do some research on it first!

• 2 months later...
princessjessie Newbie

I have the same question.

I'm taking the generic of Yasmin. It's called Ocella or Occella, not sure of the spelling.

If anyone has any information on it that would be helpful. I can't find them on the gluten free drug lists that I have checked.

DownWithGluten Explorer

That gluten-free drugs link someone gave on here is good. I'm not sure if it is ALL inclusive, but I always bring it to the doctors whenever I go and make them pick something from on there. :P

I started taking LoOvral for cramps etc. it's gluten free. The nuvaring someone mentioned on here sounds intriguing.

Beloved Apprentice

Don't flat out trust that GlutenFreeDrugs website, it's got alot of outdated stuff.

You should always call the company yourself, rather than counting on others to do it for you.

I take Tri-Nessa, it's not guaranteed but they say the starch is from Corn, I've been taking for ages with no problems and I had a scope in March, so I'm fairly certain it's fine.

Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (brand name) says no gluten ingredients but will not guarantee gluten-free...pretty much the same thing.

Dasmith Rookie

I take Loestrin24Fe for birth control. It is gluten free and actually states it on the website...having great results..no side effects at all...hope this helps. :)

• 6 months later...
NV Girl Newbie

I have been recently diagnosed with celiac - but have no symptoms. Does anyone know for sure which bc pills are gluten free

Seasonale apparently could have cross contamination in the manufacturing

Loestrin apparenlty has a very small amount of gluten

Thank you

mushroom Proficient

I have been recently diagnosed with celiac - but have no symptoms. Does anyone know for sure which bc pills are gluten free

Seasonale apparently could have cross contamination in the manufacturing

Loestrin apparenlty has a very small amount of gluten

Thank you

Loestrin 24Fe claims to have no gluten. It does contain an unspecified starch, probably corn.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've been on Yasmin for about 5 years. The company confirmed that it was gluten free...as they did with Yaz. Yaz, however, caused me to put an obnoxious 10 pounds on that I'm still fighting to get off, so I went back to Yasmin. I never went generic with this because although it would've helped my bank account...the company refused to confirm that it was gluten free...so I stuck with what works and have never had an issue.

glutenfr3309 Rookie

I've been on Yasmin for about 5 years. The company confirmed that it was gluten free...as they did with Yaz. Yaz, however, caused me to put an obnoxious 10 pounds on that I'm still fighting to get off, so I went back to Yasmin. I never went generic with this because although it would've helped my bank account...the company refused to confirm that it was gluten free...so I stuck with what works and have never had an issue.

ooo good to know about yaz. i've been on that now for a couple of years and did not research it yet. glad i won't have to switch!

modiddly16 Enthusiast

ooo good to know about yaz. i've been on that now for a couple of years and did not research it yet. glad i won't have to switch!

My doctor told me that my reaction isn't a typical result of the pill. A lot of people lose weight on Yaz...however, a lot of people gain it as well. I don't know what the deal is with that but I'm still struggling to get the extra weight off.

kareng Grand Master

Azurette and Kariva were last I checked. What ever you decide, call the company and ask to make sure they didn't change the formula.

• 1 year later...
Sinenox Apprentice

Hi there,

Watson Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Reclipsen, is hard to pin down. I had to call them a few times, but I was routed to their laboratory, where I spoke to two technicians named Brendan and Andrew. They both confirmed that there are no gluten ingredients in Reclipsen, and that the starches used are based in corn.

To the OP: Reclipsen is a birth control pill that is sometimes used to treat endometriosis. You may want to check it out. I'm pretty sensitive and I haven't had any problems.

I wanted to add my birth control experience.

I had been on Apri-28 (which is on the gluten-free drugs list) for about 7 years. When I moved from the East Coast to the West Coast, they said I had to switch to the generic out there which is called Reclipsen. Reclipsen is not on the gluten-free list.

I never noticed any problems with gluten UNTIL starting Reclipsen, and so 2 months ago I both stopped taking birth control and went on a gluten-free diet... So just in case anyone was considering that particular drug, do some research on it first!

ElseB Contributor

I was on Yasmin for about 6 year, starting pre-diagnosis. I confirmed gluten free status, but last year I started getting constipation, which is my gluten symptom. I don't think it was gluten though, just the hormones from the pill upsetting my system (because I got no stomach ache, which always precedes the C when I get glutened). But then I got a blood clot which doctors said was most likely due to the pill since I had no other risk factors. So no more pill for me!

Archived