This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Work Party..uggghhh!

givenupgluten

givenupgluten Explorer

So the annual holiday work party is coming up....And I'm positive that there will be very little there I can eat (judging by past years 'spreads'...) This will be my first year going and eating gluten free and vegetarian. In the past years, the dinner has been served buffet style with several meats to choose from, maybe one pasta dish and a not-so-appetizing salad of some sort (with a probably questionable salad dressing to go along with it.) There may have been some sort of side dish, although I'm not sure what will be provided this year. The appetizers are always almost all breaded in some form or fashion, or meat on a stick. Haha The party starts at 6ish and lasts until about 11...so it's a long time to go without food. I planned on eating something before leave work (about 5:30), but how do I avoid the questions re: 'why are you not eating' when we actually get to the place? I have considered asking if there will be a gluten free vegetarian option, but I'm afraid it will be more trouble than it's worth unfortunately. I dont work for a super accomodating crew, when it comes to things like this. What would YOU do? Would you just eat before you go, bring your own snacks, and that's that? Or is there a better way to handle this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
What would YOU do? Would you just eat before you go, bring your own snacks, and that's that? Or is there a better way to handle this?

I would either bring my own food or excuse myself for the seated dinner portion.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I personally always dreaded company parties. But always felt obligated to go. At my age now, if I had a company party now, I would just skip it. But it sounds like you really want to go. And that is good. :)

What time will they be eating? Can you arrive fashionably late? And then just enjoy the fun (eat before you go).

Or I would go with eat only your own food. Company parties are usually confusing enough as it is for caterers. I would worry to much for errors.

happygirl Collaborator

Bring your own food. When asked, "I have some food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances (take your pick) and so I brought my own food. This way, I can still enjoy the evening and not worry about eating something I shouldn't."

And promptly change subject. Works everytime, for any occasion. Gets easier the more you say it.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I bring my own food where ever I go, I was invited to my sister's IL's after T'gvg and I told them I would bring my own food. I know longer worry how it looks or if someone else thinks I'm weird.

givenupgluten Explorer

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I really appreciate it! Since it's all buffet, and it does tend to get chaotic..it's probably best for me to bring my own food. There are a few people who know about my food 'issues', and most likely I will be sat with them anyway..so that works out pretty well. The appetizers are served immediately when we walk through the door, while everyone's mingling, and then the rest is served buffet style. Then the desserts come out...

I do feel an obligation to go, otherwise I would probably try to bail out. I think it will be fine once i'm there, but I'm a little nervous..this being my first gluten free experience of this kind. Can anyone recommend what types of things they might bring along to something like this? What's fairly discreet that can be toted from work to an event? I was thinking nuts, gluten free crackers, fruits ...things like that maybe?

cyberprof Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I really appreciate it! Since it's all buffet, and it does tend to get chaotic..it's probably best for me to bring my own food. There are a few people who know about my food 'issues', and most likely I will be sat with them anyway..so that works out pretty well. The appetizers are served immediately when we walk through the door, while everyone's mingling, and then the rest is served buffet style. Then the desserts come out...

I do feel an obligation to go, otherwise I would probably try to bail out. I think it will be fine once i'm there, but I'm a little nervous..this being my first gluten free experience of this kind. Can anyone recommend what types of things they might bring along to something like this? What's fairly discreet that can be toted from work to an event? I was thinking nuts, gluten free crackers, fruits ...things like that maybe?

Do you eat cheese? I would bring a plate of cheese (cut up) and crackers and fruit (like grapes, orange sections) on a disposable plate covered with plastic wrap. Or in a Ziploc disposable container. Park it at your table during appetizer portion then eat. If you don't eat cheese, just bring baggies with nuts, fruits, veggies in your purse and put them on a clean plate at dinner time.

I have the same type of after-work holiday party in early December, but no sit-down portion, just "heavy" appetizers. It's at an upscale restaurant (McCormick's in Seattle) that has given me about 6 gluten-free safe meals. I may call the catering department ahead of time to find out if they can set me up a plate of shrimp, veggies and fruit. If not, I'll bring my own.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DarkIvy Explorer

Also, why not bring some of your own gluten-free dessert? I'm a dessert junkie... I make all kinds of gluten-free cakes and cookies, and those could easily be plopped into a tupperwear container and you wouldn't feel left out of the dessert portion of the meal. That's one of the toughest parts for me, so if I've got my own, I don't feel left out. If you're already planning on bringing your own meal anyway, bringing dessert as well won't phase anyone.

missy'smom Collaborator

I bought a plastic divided plate/container with a lid last year and brought my meal to a catered(wasn't able to work with the caterer) Xmas dinner. Made up a similar dinner to what was being served-turkey(roasted breast only-quicker), mashed pot. and gravy, dressing,cranberry relish, steamed gr. beans and an individual gluten-free chocolate fudge cake(made ahead in muffin tins and frozen). Everything was either simple and quick cook or made ahead. I got some looks, but nobody asked so I didn't explain.

givenupgluten Explorer

Thanks guys! These are some really good ideas..I feel a bit better about all of this now!

Hummingbird4 Explorer

Our company party is coming up soon, too. I'm thinking I'll just skip it this year. Besides, last year it was so loud we had to shout our conversations. :huh:

photobabe42 Newbie

My company, a newspaper, does a holiday potluck during the work day, instead of a sit-down affair. This is done since it's less expensive (I'd rather the company increase my bonus than serve a mundane dinner) and since I work for a newspaper, there's really no time that everyone can attend such a function. Since I have only recently gone gluten free, I haven't really expected too much from my co-workers. Mostly I'm explaining my diet changes one-on-one and everyone has been very understanding. My boss even brought a veggie tray to our usual pizza dinner on the lengthy shift that was Election night. I was touched by the gesture. Before I worked here, there was a lady who had Celiacs and was very open about it, PLUS there was also a reporter my age who had a ton of food allergies, so the department has been "schooled" so to speak. Everyone is forthcoming with ingredients during the potlucks and I will probably bring more than one dish so I can have a round meal. I'm lucky I think to work with people who exercise intelligent curiosity as part of the job.

As far as bringing your own food, Tupperware used to make some great divided dishes. People bring food for their kids in similar situations, I don't think anyone should be rude enough to judge you. You are there to have a good time! Pack up your food (preferably something vastly superior to the slop everyone else will be eating) and then enjoy your evening on your terms.

Krystle56 Newbie

This is funny, I was just thinking of this same thing today...what to do when you get invited to a holiday party where you know there is little you will be able to have. I was actually thinking about skipping lol.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Let me tell you what NOT to do!! Last year I went to my small company party (super fun partiers!!) and didn't even THINK to bring my own food or eat beforehand, knowing there would be nothing there I'd be able to eat. A few absolutely DELICIOUS raspberry martinis later, we were all goofing around and dancing and having fun and I fell... my feet just sort of went out from under me. No biggie... I hopped up and continued dancing!

Spent the next morning in the ER having my broken wrist casted w/ my husband snapping photos while the hospital personel cracked up. (I was NOT laughing!!) They're STILL laughing at me in the office!! Too bad I can't attend the party this year... I planned to arrive wearing a bike helmet and knee and elbow pads!!

Archived