This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

German Lebkuchen Recipe?

jjc

jjc Contributor

I'm trying really hard to find a good tasting gluten free Lebkuchen recipe for the holidays this year. Anyone have a good one that they've tried?

Can't believe this will be the first holiday I can't have any regular baked goods!!! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I'm trying really hard to find a good tasting gluten free Lebkuchen recipe for the holidays this year. Anyone have a good one that they've tried?

Can't believe this will be the first holiday I can't have any regular baked goods!!! :(

Hi jjc,

You're getting two German Christmas Recipes not one.

I've cut and pasted these from the UK Forum (So this post is LONG)

Gluten Free Stollen

This just has to be made! I'm not a great fan of Christmas cake, but I remember having Stollen years ago in Germany and loving it. This recipe is from last year's Christmas Crossed Grain; originally it was for Glutafin Bread mix (the wheatie one) but I've substituted Schar Mix B, and also added a layer of marzipan in the middle as this is what I remember from the German ones. The result is almost indistinguishable from a non-gluten-free one (excuse me, I'm just going for my 3rd piece...).

Stollen Bread:

500g gluten-free bread mix

1 sachet Easy Blend yeast

300ml hand hot milk (or soya milk if dairy free)

1 egg

75g butter or marg

Mix these well together to make a smooth thick batter. Cover bowl with lightly oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour.

Meanwhile, mix together:

250g mixed dried fruit

50g mixed peel

50g ground almonds

Rind of 2 oranges

50g soft brown sugar

1 tsp. mixed spice

2 tsp. natural vanilla essence

4 tbsp. brandy

Line the base and sides of a deep 8" round or square tin up to 2" above the rim.

Mix the dough and the fruit mixture and beat for one minute. Put half into the tin and smooth with the back of a wetted spoon. Roll out one small pack of marzipan until it exactly fits the tin - place on top of the dough and press down lightly. Cover with the rest of the dough and smooth until level. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise for one hour.

Remove the film and bake at Gas 5/ 190C for 40 - 45 mins. Cool on a rack; brush with melted butter and dredge with icing sugar. YUM YUM.

Gluten Free Lebkucken

The ones I make are not at all complicated (despite the fact I substitute for egg as well ). When my son had to go gluten-free he was heartbroken as he loved the shop bought liebkuchen (which are sponge based rather than the traditional German cookie based ones).There are lots of different recipes many of them too time consuming - but you'll get a very nice version of the sponge based ones if you add to whatever sponge-type mixture you use (per 9 oz flour):

3 oz sultanas (or a mixture of sultanas and candied peel if you like candied peel)

1/4 teaspoon mixed spice(or more if you like them spicier)

2 tablespoons of ground almonds

l l/2 tablespoons cocoa powder

I then cook one batch in mini-doughnut tins and the rest in bun cases. Favourite topping is Green and Blacks chocolate, but for a plateful of different looks you can ice them with white or coloured icing, white icing with zig zags of another colour, or white icing dipped in "hundreds and thousands". The non gluten-free members of the household prefer this version to the shop bought one - you can change the recipe to get the level of spice/chocolate you prefer.

Hope that is of some help,

You could ask Ursa Major I'm sure she would have recipes.

Best Regards,

David

jjc Contributor

Thanks David!! That's fantastic because my family loves stollen as well -

kochac Rookie

I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but Roben Ryberg has a lebkuchen recipe in her newest book, You Won't Believe it's Gluten-Free!, with 4 variations: corn-, oat-, rice- or potato-based. Looks simple enough. You could look for it in your bookstore/library, or I could post one here if that's okay with the mods.

Archived