Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fresh Apple Cake

7 posts in this topic

I can't remember where I got the recipe for this; it may have been on this site; but it is one of the best things I have tried.

Finely dice 4 cups apple and mix in a big bowl with 2 cups sugar. Mix 2 cups Featherlight, 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, 1 1/2 tsp. soda, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. salt, and stir in. In a separate bowl, mix 2 lightly beaten eggs with 2/3 cup canola oil and 2 tsp. vanilla. (I used 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. vanilla-butter-nut flavoring.) Stir this into apple mixture. Stir in 2/3 cup coconut and 1 cup nuts. Spread into greased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Let cool while you mix up a powdered sugar glaze. Spread the glaze over the warm cake. Serve warm or cool.

Ads by Google:

What is Featherlight?

What is Featherlight?

It's the mix that is in so many recipes (from B Hagman?) It's in this proportion: 1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon potato flour (not potato starch). Mix it up in bulk and keep it in a jar. This apple cake recipe, a really good chocolate cake recipe, a really good banana nut bread recipe, and lots of other recipes all use it.

It's the mix that is in so many recipes (from B Hagman?) It's in this proportion: 1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon potato flour (not potato starch). Mix it up in bulk and keep it in a jar. This apple cake recipe, a really good chocolate cake recipe, a really good banana nut bread recipe, and lots of other recipes all use it.

mmm, I need to try that cake, thanks for posting!

I sub featherlite in baking for a sorghum mix b/c its healthier and I am not crazy about rice flour, it works great:

Carol's flour blend

1 1/2 cups sorghum

1 1/2 cups potato starch or cornstarch

1 cup tapioca flour

I still use featherlite in tortillas, pie crust and "Oreos"

Sounds like this recipe:

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_desserts/#applecake

4 c. chopped apples (4 medium)

2 c. sugar

Could you use a gluten free all-purpose baking mix in place of the featherlight?