Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How To Thicken Gravy?

12 posts in this topic

I always make my own gravy using turkey drippings - so what do I do this year? I usually use flour :-( I haven't played with any flours yet so I am not sure which ones would work.

THANKS

Amy

Ads by Google:

You could use cornstarch or potato starch.

You could use cornstarch or potato starch.

I was going to mention that I have been using potato starch (a tip I picked up from Patti a few years ago) but I see she already posted :D

I have also used rice flour with success, but I like the smoother non-grainy texture of the potato starch.

I am sure many others will jump in with their suggestions :)

I use sweet rice flour.

in order of my preference:

sweet rice flour

cornstarch

potato flour

I will try the potato starch maybe since it's going over potatoes :-) Is this found in a regular store or speciality? Thanksgiving is like RIGHT around the corner and I'm kinda freaking out about doing this gluten free!!

THANKS!

Amy

I can find potato starch in large regular grocery stores (Giant, Wegmans). Whole Foods has it, and you should be able to find it at most health food stores.

I tried to find it at Kroger's (they have a nice health food section) with no luck. Is it with the flours or cornstarch?? LOL! I feel like a blind man shopping!

Thanks again,

Amy

I buy my potato starch at the asian market. It's very cheap. We have an international market here also that caters to Eastern Europeans and it sells potato starch.

I tried to find it at Kroger's (they have a nice health food section) with no luck. Is it with the flours or cornstarch?? LOL! I feel like a blind man shopping!

Thanks again,

Amy

:D Yeah, it really does feel like that in the beginning, but you will get used to it. I promise.

At my grocery stores, it's with the various flours in the natural/health food sections.

I have seen Potato Flour @ Kroeger's :)

What are the proportions you use w/ either potato starch or cornstarch? For example... I used to make a roux w/ butter and flour and add drippings and broth to make awesome gravy. I know cornstarch is supposed to be mixed w/ cold liquids... so what measurements do you use w/ either potato or cornstarch?

TIA!