This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dedicated Scd Recipe Thread

AliB

AliB Enthusiast

This thread is an extension to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet thread in the 'Other Food Intolerances and Leaky Gut Syndrome' section.

The diet is designed to help those who have not gained relief or recovered their health after removing Gluten from their diet and who have often found that they have developed further food intolerances.

Almond Crackers

2 cups almond meal

1/3 cup olive oil

1/4 cup grated parmesan (opt)

2 garlic cloves, crushed (opt)

1 tsp herbs

Salt to taste

A little water

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add enough water to just make a dough, maybe 4 or 5 tablespoons.

Press out into a flat baking tray to about 1/4" thick and bake on 160 degrees celcius for about 20 - 25 minutes.

Cut into squares whilst hot and leave to cool before removing from the tray.

If desired you could replace a little of the olive oil with some melted butter.

I have seen recipes with tahini added and Valda, I thought you might be able to, with a little juggling, use coconut flour instead of the almonds if you cope with that better.

Initially I reacted to the parmesan until Pele pointed out that as it was ready grated it may have had flour added to it to keep it from sticking together. I replaced it with some fresh parmesan and grated it myself and have been ok with it since although I tend to use less than the recipe states.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purple Community Regular

AliB, I have not studied the Scd yet but I saw 2 breads that sound possible so if they work I want to add them to this thread b/c they look great and easy. I hope this helps. If not this post can be removed.

Cranberry Nut bread (uses coconut flour)and Simple Bread (uses blanched almond flour-don't use Bob's Red Mill)found here:

Open Original Shared Link

ShayFL Enthusiast

This is my favorite:

BANANA BREAD

Ingredients

3 cups almond flour

1/2 cup honey

3 eggs

2 mashed bananas

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup raisins (or chopped walnuts)

Instructions

1. Mix ingredients.

2. Bake for an hour at 350 degrees F (180 C) until knife comes out clean (start testing at 25 minutes if using 9x13 pan). I line the pan with buttered wax paper.

pele Rookie

My favorite snack:

Peanut butter balls

1 cup all natural peanut butter (no additives except salt)

1/3 cup honey

1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

Mix together. Shape into 1 inch balls with damp hands. Freeze. Eat.

Sometimes I make them with ground almonds, walnuts or pecans and flavor with maple flavoring.

When I was traveling, I mixed the peanut butter, honey and coconut and left it in the PB jar. Ate it with a spoon!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

awesome, i've been researching the diet, was wondering what some good recipes were :)

AliB Enthusiast

Paul Stocker's Yonana Muffins

Dry ingredients:

AliB Enthusiast

Just picked up this link to some snacky SCD ideas by Carol Frilegh.

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/41/Snacks-for-...Diet-Ideas.html

I will post them too just in case the link doesn't work

Good Eats, Safe Treats

* Stuffed Dates wrapped in sugar-free bacon and baked until bacon is crisp.

* Cauliflower popcorn, pieces of cauliflower, tossed in oil and spices and baked until brown and crisp.

* Fruit Leather- fruit pureed and spread on a cookie sheet until it firms up.

* Crackers made of baked Goat Cheddar cheese.

* Roll-ups using smoked salmon or roast beef and stuffed with any number of different fillings - I like French Goat Brie.

* Nuts tossed in spices and roasted.

* Granola made of nuts, dried fruits and dried unsweetened coconut.

* Thin slices of Butternut squash or beets deep fried.

* Fried Carrot Curls.

* Sliced mushrooms tossed in oil and baked until crisp.

* Smoked oysters.

* Truffles made of dried fruits and nuts processed with the blank cone of my Omega juicer and rolled in coconut.

* Specific Carbohydrate Diet Chicken Nuggets with Peanut Sauce.

* Crackers made with nut flour.

* Stuffed Mushrooms.

* Sun Dried Tomatoes.

* Chilled Shrimp dipped in Ramesco (Roasted red pepper dip).

* Shrimps dipped in egg or homemade mayonnaise and unsweetened coconut and fried.

* JK Gourmet's paper thin Biscotti with pistachios and dried fruit morsels.

* Tiny Specific Carbohydrate Diet egg rolls.

* Dill pickles.

* Deviled Eggs.

* Mini meatballs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GermanMia Newbie

Breakfast pancake:

2 eggs

1 heaped tbsp. dry curd cottage cheese or dripped yoghurt

1 tbsp. runny honey

1 tbsp. cocnut flour

In a blender mix all ingredients until you have a foamy, light yellow cream. Lightly grease a non stick skillet, heat to medium high and pour the pancake mix into the skillet. Cook until surface of the pancake is still bubbly, but no longer runny, flip the pancake and cook for two or three more minutes. Serve hot with fried apples and raisins or home made blueberry-cranberry-honey jam.

Variation:

Instead of the honey add one mashed banana to the pancake batter.

GermanMia Newbie

It just came to my mind that it would make sense to post the links to SCD recipe sites in this place:

www.pecanbread.com

www.scdiet.org/2recipes/indexa.html

www.scdrecipe.com/

www.honeybigbee.com/

Open Original Shared Link

www.scdadventures.blogspot.com/

mftnchn Explorer

Chicken Carrot Ginger Soup

(variation: curry)

Sorry the amounts aren't exact here :)

1 whole chicken, 4 chicken thigh/legs or chicken breasts

Carrots--a dozen or so. I look for about a 2-3 to one ratio of carrots to chicken

fresh ginger, several large slices (to your taste)

Bring to a boil and simmer for about 4 hours.

Remove the skin, bones, etc of the chicken. Puree the rest in the blender. (I cool the whole thing for awhile, scoop out the carrots and put in the blender with some broth, usually two full blenders full of this; then pick through the chicken and blend the broth, chicken, ginger and the rest of the carrots. Put it all in one container and mix it together well)

At this point, I put it in small containers and freeze it.

When ready to eat, I heat the amount I want and add salt to taste. From there, you can get creative. I add cinnamon, a little honey, and usually some cooked fruit (apples, peaches). I also like heating it with a few raisins (so they soften). This is really good just like this. Sprinkle some nuts for a little crunch and flavor.

I also add curry to it sometimes, which is wonderful too. It is so thick that you could also mix this up with the curry and all, and put in the fridge and use like a dip. I also like the curry warm, then put stuff on top like raw apple, banana, coconut, raisins, tomatos, nuts. (I used to fix chicken curry on rice and we would put this stuff on the top. Learned it from a friend.)

I often heat my serving just past comfortable eating temperature, with the above added. Then in my bowl I add some yogurt, trying to not let the yogurt get too hot and kill the good bacteria.

My husband won't try this, LOL. He said it is just the idea of it (because he knows how I make it) and it seems too much like baby food. But it is really really yummy!!!

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Has anyone ground up raw cashews and used that in place of almond flour? I find I cannot tolerate almond or pecan. REALLY wanting SOMETHING bread-like. I have tried coconut flour as a replacement but the result is quite dry and I easly choke on it.

I can't eat egg but can adequately replace 1-2 eggs - but not those recipes that call for more than that.

mftnchn Explorer

I haven't tried baking with cashews yet, but have made a cheese replacement with it. I'll be interested if you experiment because I have a terrible time getting raw almonds here and the additives bother me.

Sherry

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Well, I guess I'll just have to grind up some cashews and give it a try. I'll post my recipe if it works.

GermanMia Newbie

Hi,

I use to make a bread with ground cashews which is very moist and delicious:

for one small loaf:

2 large eggs

1/3 tsp. salt

2 cups raw cashews

1/3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

2/3 cup SCD yoghurt

1/3 cup apple juice

1/2 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Line 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 '' loaf pan with parchment paper and place on baking sheet.

Beat egg whites with salt until stiff

Grind cashews in food processor until as smooth as possible. With motor running add vinegar, yoghurt, juice, egg yolks and baking soda. Blend well, then transfer to large bowl. Gently fold in half of the egg whites to lighten the batter, then fold in the rest until combined.

Pour the batter in loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.

From "Eat Well, Feel Well" by Kendall Conrad

I don't unse apple juice because of the high fructose, water is just as good.

As for the coconut flour I found that it's better if you reduce the amount of flour to about 2/3 of what the recipe calls for. Then first I mix the flour with the liquid, let sit for some minutes, then slowly add more water while mixing until the batter is a bit more creamy. At least I fold in the egg white - maybe replacer is okay, too. Maybe it would be nice with cashew cheese, too, to make it a bit moister.

rinne Apprentice
Cranberry Nut bread (uses coconut flour)and Simple Bread (uses blanched almond flour-don't use Bob's Red Mill)

Hi, could you say more about that, why not?

purple Community Regular
Hi, could you say more about that, why not?

I read under Elana's comment section to use Honeywell flour b/c Bob's is more coarse and they tried many recipes that failed with it. Also stated that Honeywell was totally better quality (my words). I have not tried the recipes nor the flours.

rinne Apprentice

Thanks. :) I was wondering whether they process it in their gluten free facility, perhaps I will phone them.

mftnchn Explorer

Has anyone had trouble with the nut flours burning really easily? What works for you?

DMarie Apprentice
Has anyone had trouble with the nut flours burning really easily? What works for you?

Hi Sherry - I find that baking items with nut flours at a lower temp for a longer time is helpful. In making the almond muffins from the BTVC book, it seems the first time around I baked at 330 degrees. This last time I noticed the book called for 375 it seems. So I think I initially went with 350 but that was a little too high, not sure why. I had seen it recommended that you try 25 degrees less than what the recipe calls for.

I have only made muffins 2x though - so still learning!

AliB Enthusiast

Thought I would post that Apple and Butternut bake recipe that Fig Girl posted. Yum.

Butternut Squash Apple Cranberry Bake Recipe

Ingredients

AliB Enthusiast

Definitely you seem to have to cook nut flours at a much lower temperature than 'normal' recipes. Even then they sometimes 'catch' a bit.

As far as ground cashews are concerned, I haven't baked with them but I did make some interesting nibbles with them the other day. It is a 'raw' recipe but very nice anyway.

Lemon Chewies

These are packed with a wonderfully rich and tart lemon flavor. If you like lemon meringue pie, you'll really enjoy these.

Makes about 30

Ingredients:

2 cups cashews, soaked in water for about 4 hours (makes them softer & more digestible)

Zest from 3-4 lemons

Juice from 4 lemons

1/2 ripe banana

1/4 cup raw honey

1/3 cup agave nectar

2 cups dried shredded coconut (unsweetened and unpreserved)

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preparation:

Drain and rinse cashews. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon out (about a good walnut size each) onto mesh dehydrator sheets or a baking sheet. I use an icing piping gun to make the shapes of little "stars" but you can use a simple spoon.

Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 8-10 hours or until the texture you desire is reached.

I have a dehydrator but I put them on a baking sheet and popped them in the oven at about 50c (100F) for a couple hours then turned off the oven and left them in there in the residual heat for another 2 hours. They are very nice.

This, for anyone who can now cope with it is the same but made with plain Cocoa instead.

Chocolate Chewies

These are just like the lemon chewies, only this recipe is designed for the chocolate lover - me! These are a huge hit every time I make them - even non-raw sceptics like these..

Makes about 4 dozen

Ingredients:

2 cups cashews, soaked in water for about 4 hours

3/4 cup raisins

1/4-1/2 cup agave nectar

1/4 cup raw honey

2 cup dried shredded coconut (unsweetened and unpreserved)

1/4 tsp. vanilla

3 Tblsp. raw cocoa powder or carob powder

dash of cinnamon

dash of sea salt

Preparation:

Drain and rinse cashews. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon out (about a good walnut size - messy, but I rolled mine - you could also roll them in coconut) onto mesh dehydrator sheets or baking sheet/s.

Dehydrate as above.

I didn't think of that when I adapted the recipe - Agave Nectar is on the 'illegal' list so I would suggest just replacing it with more honey instead. Thanks for pointing that out Sherry.

mftnchn Explorer

Ali,

I notice agave nectar isn't on the SCD legal list, so perhaps a warning here for those new to the diet...

pele Rookie

Applesauce Cake

2/3 cup homemade plain applesauce

2/3 cup honey

1/2 cup coconut oil

2 eggs

mix all of these together. It might be necessary to warm the ingredients up slightly.

Add and stir in:

1/1/4 cup Trader Joe's Almond meal (like almond flour)

1/4 tsp baking soda

a few shakes of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Bake at 325 degrees in a 9 inch square pan for about 30-40 minutes or until a knife comes clean in the middle.

This cake is very moist and sweet. I don't do a lot of baking since going on the SCD, and this was a real treat! The pecans add amazing flavor. The recipe is adapted from one found in Elaine's book, BTVC.

pele Rookie
Well, I guess I'll just have to grind up some cashews and give it a try. I'll post my recipe if it works.

I've discovered that you don't need to bake with nut flour, that nuts ground to the consistency of nut butter work fine. I plan to try this sunflower seeds soon. How did the cashews work out? Can you eat walnuts?

mftnchn Explorer

Making tomato sauce from scratch:

Wash tomatos and take out the stem. Place in a large pot with the spot where the stem was removed toward the bottom of the pot. Continue stacking tomatos as many as you wish to fill the pot. Add just enough water to the bottom of the pot so that it can boil, the tomatos will start adding to the liquid.

Simmer until the skins are loose and can be pulled away from the tomato. Let the pot cool. As it cools more and more liquid will collect in the bottom of the pot. When the tomatos are totally cool, remove them one by one and carefully pull of the skins. Put them in a clean pot. Cook them again until they are cooked down to the consistency you want. (Usually it is already pretty thick when you finish the above process.)

I even use the liquid from the tomatos for soup stock.

Much tastier than the canned versions, too. This doesn't remove the seeds though. You could probably remove the seeds if you have a food mill. I leave them in though.

Sherry

Archived