This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheetos - Ugh, Anyone Else Have A Problem With These?

3groovygirls

3groovygirls Contributor

We were at my husbands company picnic where of course nothing was gluten free. They did have Cheetos so I gave them to my daughter. For the next 2 days she had diarrhea and was up at night. UGH. I called and Cheetos said they couldn't garuntee no cross contamination for EXTREMELY sensitive individuals! Um, that means they're not gluten FREE then right?? That bugs me! Don't advertise it as gluten free if it is processed on equipment that uses wheat!

I guess it's getting so "trendy" right now to not eat gluten manufacturers forget there are people that REALLY can't tolerate it at all.

Anyone else get accidentally glutened by Cheetos?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi.

Can't be sure (we never can, huh?), but Frito-lay Fritos, and potato chips had to go. I believe myself and daughter were getting sick from them. Then again maybe I just ate too many. Ha! :P Seriously, though, we replaced them with Kettle Brand chips and won't eat any Frito-lay products anymore. It's so frustrating that we never know these things with 100% certainty, huh? Hope you're feeling better!

Sonya

DarkIvy Explorer

Ugh. I'm glad I trusted my gut instinct about those things. My boyfriend loves them, and I got REALLY mad at him for eating them at my computer the other day. I know they're supposed to be gluten free, but they terrify me.

I hope your daughter feels better!!

Lisa Mentor
We were at my husbands company picnic where of course nothing was gluten free. They did have Cheetos so I gave them to my daughter. For the next 2 days she had diarrhea and was up at night. UGH. I called and Cheetos said they couldn't garuntee no cross contamination for EXTREMELY sensitive individuals! Um, that means they're not gluten FREE then right?? That bugs me! Don't advertise it as gluten free if it is processed on equipment that uses wheat!

I guess it's getting so "trendy" right now to not eat gluten manufacturers forget there are people that REALLY can't tolerate it at all.

Enriched Corn Meal (Corn Meal, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamin Monoitrate, Riboflavin, and Frolic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Contains one or more of the following: corn, soybean, or sunflower oil), Whey, Salt, Cheddar Cheese, (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes). Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin, Disodium Phosphate, Sour Cream (Cultured Cream, Nonfat Milk), Artificial Flavor, Monosodium Glutmate, Lactic Acid, Artificial Colors (Including Yellow 6), and Citric Acid. Contains Milk Ingredients

I understand your frustration and it's justified. Cheetos do not contain any gluten ingredients, but that does not mean that they can't pick up some cross contamination during the manufacturing process. Some people do get symptoms from Frito/Lays Products.

Lays Staxx are produced on a dedicated line, so there is no potential cross contamination.

I don't think that Cheeto's is advertised gluten free and if they did, it would say "no gluten ingredients". There is a difference. I have not seen Cheeto's lately, so I may be wrong.

Hope your daughter feels better soon.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Where did you see Cheetos advertised as gluten-free? I've never seen the company making that claim. I've always thought it was one of those products that the ingredients were gluten-free but no guarantees when it comes to CC. It's a product you have to make your own choice about. That said, I do eat them on occasion, but I'm also not very sensitive.

sugarsue Enthusiast

HUGS! I have been thinking this week that my dd is getting glutened by Lay's regular Potato Chips. I'm going to switch to another kind, maybe those staxx that someone mentioned.

susan

3groovygirls Contributor

I think we'll just stick with the Kettle products now or the Lays Stax you all recommended! Thanks!

You know, I thought it said "gluten free" on the bag, but maybe I was mistaken...maybe I read the ingredients and THOUGHT it was gluten free - EITHER way if you go to their website it lists Cheetos as a gluten free food!! So maybe that's not "advertising" it but it says it is! Then if you call it says it can't garuntee no cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I think we'll just stick with the Kettle products now or the Lays Stax you all recommended! Thanks!

You know, I thought it said "gluten free" on the bag, but maybe I was mistaken...maybe I read the ingredients and THOUGHT it was gluten free - EITHER way if you go to their website it lists Cheetos as a gluten free food!! So maybe that's not "advertising" it but it says it is! Then if you call it says it can't garuntee no cross contamination.

The Frito/Lays Website notes that Lays Staxx are gluten free, because they are produced on dedicated lines for only that product. Their other products listed as not having gluten ingredients, but are at risk for possible cross contamination with other products. There is a large difference in this simple play of words. Make sense? :blink:

This is not to say that you can eat Lays Products without issue. Some here do and some don't.

It's a hard world out there for us Celiacs. Hope this helps. ;)

JennyC Enthusiast

Also if your daughter ate Cheetos out of a bowl shared with the rest of the party, the Cheetos may have been cross contaminated at the party. We buy Walmart brand Cheetos. They say gluten free on the bag.

Juliebove Rising Star

We buy Tings because they are dairy free. Daughter loves them and they are gluten free.

larry mac Enthusiast

Cheetos, and as far as I know, other Frito Lay products, don't claim to be gluten-free. Either on the bags or on the website. It's never easy when your kids get sick. Is it possible she had a reaction to something else she ate that day? Or the day before or after? She probably didn't just eat Cheetos that whole day.

Unfortunately, some people must be extra careful and eat an extremely limited diet. Obviously more than just a gluten-free one. It's my opinion that some people who have issues with Frito Lay products also have other intolerance issues in addition to a gluten intolerance or Celiac Disease.

I eat Cheetos often, fried and baked plain varieties. Also plain Fritos, plain Lays potato chips, and Ruffles. I eat Tostitos every singly day on my nachos.

I've never had any reaction to any of the above.

best regards, lm

shayesmom Rookie
We buy Tings because they are dairy free. Daughter loves them and they are gluten free.

I second that one! My dd absolutely LOVES Tings and so does the rest of the family. Plus, they aren't as messy as Cheetos and I have to support companies who use 5 or less ingredients to make a product. lol! Easy to read labels earn extra points in my book!

strawberrygm Enthusiast

Speaking of Cheetos, have you tried the new Natural Cheetos? The white ones? My dd has been eating them and they dont seem to be bothering her. Maybe they are safer than the traditional yellow cheese ones??-

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Cheetos, and as far as I know, other Frito Lay products, don't claim to be gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Linkto the Frito Lay list of products that do not contain gluten. They do not claim to test them for gluten, nor do they use the term "gluten free." Lines are washed between batches, and each person would need to make their own decision on whether or not they are comforable with that.

I have read accounts of Frito Lay products sickening people. While I don't disbelieve that it occurs, it has never been our family's experience. We have eaten them on probably too many occasions with no negative results. Gluten concerns aside, they are a highly processed food containing delicious MSG and many other hard to pronounce ingredients ;) , many of which could cause individuals problems.

Mtndog Collaborator

For some reason Cheetos REALLY bother me :( I do OK with Fritos and other gluten-free lay's products. I think it's the "cheese" or all the artificial ingredients.

3groovygirls Contributor

I'm sorry, I know I'm new to all this and I know I'm more sensitive b/c Violet is a BABY and not a grown up so I feel bad when I gluten her, but does anyone else find it absurd that they can SAY on their website "Does NOT contain gluten" yet the teeny tiny astrix means that oh wait they can't garuntee it!? I mean if a food is listed as NOT containing gluten then it SHOULDNT contain it - it shouldn't be cross contaminated or whatnot OR it should be clearly labeled on the packaging. Anyway, it burns me up because the list of "does not contain gluten" and then the tiny astrix contradict itself!

I know, my repsonsibility, etc, etc, etc. But seriously, could they make it just a TINY BIT MORE difficult!

Lisa Mentor

It will get easier. I have seen some wonderful changes in the last few years.

jetiduncan Newbie

We eat lots of Frito Lay products around here and have had no problems with getting glutened. My son is severely sensitive. We eat Wavy Lays BBQ, Cheetos, Sour Cream and Onion and Smart Pop Cheddar popcorn as well as Tostitos.

Aponi Newbie

Have you considered a possible corn sensitivity? While cross contamination is a possibility, I know that I had to discover the hard way that I am also sensitive to products containing large quantities of corn. Regardless of the type of "gluten-free" corn chips I have tried, I react strongly to all of them like I've been glutened. I can handle small amounts such as a little cornstarch in a sauce, but I've reacted to every mainly "corn" product. From what I've read, this isn't uncommon in the beginning and may lessen with time. (I hope so, because I'm dying to make cornbread with chili and other such corn dishes.)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
For some reason Cheetos REALLY bother me :( I do OK with Fritos and other gluten-free lay's products. I think it's the "cheese" or all the artificial ingredients.

I am the same as Bev - Cheetos are really terrible for me, had them a couple of times and reacted both times - - I think it's the ridiculously artificial ingredients AND the MSG. I don't tolerate MSG well and many celiacs don't......

• 7 months later...
loida Newbie

Frito Lay DOES say which items are "gluten free" right on their website. Check out this page Open Original Shared Link for the Cheetos list. I agree this can be misleading, since there is chance of cross contamination on everything except the Stax chips.

My husband who has Celiac will not eat anything from FritoLay anymore, after having issues with the plain potato chips (potatoes, oil, salt, that's it).

By the way Michael Season's has cheese curls that are better than Cheetos, and they're gluten-free without any artificial ingredients.

• 1 month later...
jberg Newbie

As someone else had mentioned, it the MSG in the cheetos that bother people. My DS can't eat any product with MSG.

Does MSG contain gluten?

Cin.

JesikaBeth Contributor

I get very sick with Cheeto's too :angry:

Unfortunately because Cheeto's used to be my *favorite*

I too do well with other chips of their's but for some reasno Cheeto's do not sit well with me, even if they are supposed to be gluten free, there is something about them....

• 3 months later...
Estahrita Newbie

I do not think they are safe to eat and the web site is VERY deceptive- I wish companies cared enough about us to CLEARLY INDICATE whether or not their product is gluten free- because of this experience I am no longer purchasing ANY Lay's products.

Over the past few months I've developed an intolerance to gluten/wheat and adjusting is hard enough!

I've been keeping a food log for the past week and so far by being careful I have not had a reaction. But today I had some Cheetos and 2 hrs later I got glutened- bright red skin flush, malaise, bloated, freezing cold/hot flashes. DO NOT EAT CHEETOS!!! I do not think I am even that sensitive to cross contamination to be honest with you. I think they are just being deceptive.

It is possible that the reaction is to MSG, though unlikely because my reaction to gluten is so easy to identify by its symptoms.

Hopefully since I only had a few I won't have these symptoms for too long. GL to everyone, hope you all stay healthy and reaction-free!!!

Frances03 Enthusiast

I dont think they are being deceptive at all. Their website clearly says which items are made in a gluten free facility and which aren't. I have chosen not to eat any of their products except the lays stax because those have no cc issues. They don't seem to be hiding anything, and those who are super sensitive should probably avoid all the products that aren't made in a gluten free facility. I haven't had any issues with the stax.

Archived