This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kamut Being Labeled As Gluten Free?

RIMom

RIMom Newbie

New cereal spotted at Whole Foods last week. Called Penguin Puffs. It lists Kamut as primary ingredient, does not list Contains:wheat. I went searching on the naturespath.com website for more info. They are claiming that Kamut is gluten free. I sent them an email seeking clarification, but am confused. Also worried that one of the many label readers I have recruited to provide childcare for my daughter might feed this or something like it to my daughter.

Advice? What do you know about whether Kamut, specifically Nature's Path/Envirokids Kamut is gluten-free? It seems so weird b/c they market themselves as specifically gluten-free on so many of their products, I would think they know what they are talking about......

Help???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Kamut is wheat.

Print out info from the internet, and bring it to Whole Foods. Tell them that if someone with celiac has a severe reaction, Whole Foods could be liable. Email the company, and tell them the same thing (include a cut and paste from a website listing kamut as gluten).

happygirl Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link doesn't list it as a gluten free cereal.

Open Original Shared Link the picture on this box doesn't indicate gluten free.

Where do you see that its listed as gluten free?

lovegrov Collaborator

Because the cereal lists kamut in the ingredients, the company is not required to say "contains: wheat." The kamut is clearly listed. And I don't see where thwe website claims it's gluten-free. Can you point that out?

richard

Juliebove Rising Star
Because the cereal lists kamut in the ingredients, the company is not required to say "contains: wheat." The kamut is clearly listed. And I don't see where thwe website claims it's gluten-free. Can you point that out?

richard

I don't see it either. There's also a cereal with a Lemur that doesn't say Gluten Free. Perhaps some store mislabed it as gluten-free?

spunky Contributor

We have eaten Panda Puffs before... I'm wondering if you were looking at a box of Panda Puffs (gluten free) but inadvertently picked up this, apparently brand new product, Penguin Puffs, and then read the ingredients on that one, which includes kamut... seems the two could easily get confused if things aren't in the right spot on the store shelf or if they are very near one another on the shelf.

By the way... what really gets to me is that lots of stores in our area have big gluten free signs here and there on shelvees... could be helpful, but also very harmful... once in a while I've grabbed a box of something from the area where the gluten free sign is, only to remind myself to scan the ingredients just to be sure, and see that the gluten free signs can be misleading as to which product they refer to... as in like ginger snaps or something, where the regular ones are right there next to the gluten free ones... it's just easy to get confused.

Watch out for those signs!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie
Kamut is wheat.

Print out info from the internet, and bring it to Whole Foods. Tell them that if someone with celiac has a severe reaction, Whole Foods could be liable. Email the company, and tell them the same thing (include a cut and paste from a website listing kamut as gluten).

Whole foods would NEVER be liable. When shopping for anything whether it be food, clothing or eating at a restaurant.. caveat emptor always applies. BUYER BEWARE!

I've been gluten free for almost 6 years. I live by two philosophies: If you aren't sure; don't eat it and Caveat Emptor and I've never been accidentally glutened.

As a celiac, you have to be aware of and knowledgeable about foods and food additives.

Companies label spelt as a "wheat alternative" all the time. Spelt isn't a wheat alternative. It is wheat. 5000 year old wheat! This annoys me to no end and I write them about it every time I see it, but that's about all I could do if I got sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

You have a point--they might not ultimately be held responsible. However, if they put a gluten product in an area clearly designated for gluten-free, the question of liability would be enough to put them in the position of having to pay an attorney to wiggle them out of liability!

Bravo! Restaurant used to have a gluten-free menu, but discontinued it because of the threat of liability.

And McDonald's was sued because their coffee was hot!

So caveat emptor might not always apply, even when it should!

AndreaB Contributor

Envirokidz has some gluten free cereal and some not gluten free cereal. The Cheetah Chomps, Lemur and Penguin cereals are NOT gluten free.

Whole Foods has all the Envirokidz cereals along one line, they don't separate out the gluten free cereals from the others. In fact, the Whole Foods stores I've been in have the gluten free stuff in the same section of whatever food product it is.....right along with their gluten containing counterparts.

CaraLouise Explorer

The Leapin Lemurs cereal is gluten free.

The Leapin Lemurs cereal is gluten free.

Where I live, they're gluten-free, too. Do they have two different formulations?

AndreaB Contributor

Sorry about that. I don't have the boxes in front of me and forgot. I think we've had Lemurs before if that's the chocolate peanut butter one.

Archived