2 replies to this topic

#1 Taylahmai

Taylahmai

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

Hi all. I'm new to the boards and am hoping someone can provide me with some advice, because my doctor has been pretty useless!

I have had blood tests and an endoscopy to test for coeliac (in Australia its called coeliac, but in the US celiac.... strange). My Tissue Transglutaminase IG levels were normal but my Gliadin IGA levels were slightly elevated (5.4 g/L and normal is between 0.89 - 4.46 g/L). My endoscopy showed no damage to villi so I was told I didn't have coeliac disease and that was that.

But I've since learned (through doing my own research, no thanx to my doctor) that raised IGA levels means I am gluten intolerant - is that correct? So whats the difference between gluten intolerance and coeliac disease? I went to another doctor today about my rasied IGA levels, and he told me he had no idea why they could be raised if the endoscopy showed no sign of coeliac. He seemed to think my raised IGA levels could be due to something else?

I'm reaalllly confused. Is someone able to shed some light on this?

Thank you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:42 AM

;) well--you can be celiac and not have full blown damage in your intestines as of yet, or the scope may not have found the damages area, that's always a possibility too----the difference between the 2----a sensitivity means just that--you are sensitive to gluten and in my opinion should go gluten free--i also feel that gluten sensitive and intolerant go hand in hand--i think with a gluten sensitivity you must go gluten free--i dont think there is a middle ground--i feel that all of us would be better off with out gluten in our diets---i dont have a doctor diagnosis and i will never go back to gluten--i have been gluten free for almost 4 yrs now---my sister is a doctor diagnosed celiac and this last nov my dad was put on a gluten-free diet too--i didnt have insurance when me sister went gluten-free and she and i decided together that gluten is my problem too--my life has changed so much since that day--i will never go back-----------have you tried gluten-free to see if you feel better---omitting gluten from your diet will not hurt you, not in the least---give it a try and keep us imformed---------deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:28 AM

You may have celiac. If your IgA levels were elevated that usually has something to do with gluten. It is a pretty specific test. Your body may either not have damage or they could have looked in the wrong spots. I know many people that have had damage but the doctor either didn't go down far enough or get the tissue from a damaged place.
I would really suggest an Enterolab. They test for all sorts of intolerances and allergies. They test for celiac, the celiac gene, malabsorption and so forth. Many doctors don't look at this for diagnosis yet but in my opinion it is a good test. I don't know if you can get one in Australia but I assume you could. The site is http://www.enterolab.com/ to find out more info about it.
That might help you figure out what is going on.
You could always try the diet and see how you feel. Some people on here don't have a medical diagnosis but are 100% gluten free and are self diagnosed. Doctors really haven't been much help I know with me I switched doctors many times looking for an answer. Don't rule celiac out just yet.
Hope you get an answer soon :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: