4 replies to this topic

#1 magicchance

magicchance

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:53 AM

I got my Genetic Testing Done and my DR. says well I'm not a Genetestis so I couldn't understand the results so she went on line to try to interpret them herself. My HLA-DQ2 was positive and my HLA-DQ8 was negative the paper says LOCUS DQB1 Alleles 02,0603. Can someone please tell me what this means. The DR. Said she could not tell one way or another and said well there's nothing wrong with you. I contacted the place that did the testing they said the DR. would have to call and they suggested I call the hospital for more help which I did but they couldn't tell me much either. Since the Dr. pretty much brushed me off I'm not getting anywhere with her. So Please if anyone could help me understand this I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

I'm a bit confused myself...

DQ2 is one of the main genes for celiac, although to know your risk you'd have to know the alpha portion of that gene. There's a big difference between DQ2.5 and DQ2.2. It is possible, with that gene alone, that you could have celiac disease. Have you done any other tests?

If "0603" is your other gene (DQ6), that's actually a good thing. According to Wikipedia, DQ6.3 gives you protection from a lot of autoimmune disorders and some protection against HIV.

Did the doctor give you the actual report? Or is that just the note he/she wrote down for you?
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 magicchance

magicchance

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

She gave me the report. I have had Blood test done which came back negative but I was already on the diet. I also have had both scopes done but GI DR. still won't give up the results of biopsy. I've been to so many Dr.'s they have asked for biopsy results from him he will not send them.. So I'm going to have to go in and demand them. I'm just so frustrated and tired of getting the run around and the typical there's nothing wrong with you and it's all in your head diagnosis. The testing was performed at H & I Laboratory in Salt Lake City UT.

#4 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

She gave me the report. I have had Blood test done which came back negative but I was already on the diet. I also have had both scopes done but GI DR. still won't give up the results of biopsy. I've been to so many Dr.'s they have asked for biopsy results from him he will not send them.. So I'm going to have to go in and demand them. I'm just so frustrated and tired of getting the run around and the typical there's nothing wrong with you and it's all in your head diagnosis. The testing was performed at H & I Laboratory in Salt Lake City UT.

Yeah, your GI needs to cough those up. Legally, he cannot keep them from you. Doctor to doctor is another thing, but you have a right to see your medical records. Go get 'em! :P
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#5 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

The doctor does not mean what DQ2 and DQ6 means?
Well, I have seen patients reporting that some gastros seem to think celiac is to be excluded unless both alleles are positive for the main two celiac genes....that is not true.
You just need one of them to have a greater risk for being celiac.
even without a celiac gene, there is still a risk of being celiac, since the DQ genes only can explain half the risk. The greatest risk is having a celiac relative.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: