5 replies to this topic

#1 Dulcie

Dulcie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

Is there such a thing as a gluten free frozen pie crust? What major supermarkets might have them. I live in Virginia.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hez

hez

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Last year I found some frozen pie crusts at Whole Foods. Loved the convience hated the taste :( This year I have made my own using a mix (cannot remember which company).

Hez

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

Last year I found some frozen pie crusts at Whole Foods. Loved the convience hated the taste :( This year I have made my own using a mix (cannot remember which company).

Hez

Ditto- Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse stuff is usually aweseome, avoid the hamburger buns and the pie crust, just bleh. The cheddar biscuits, however, are the BOMB.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

Gee, I think all gluten-free frozen pie crusts taste like cardboard tried every one I could find even some bakery shoppe ones! But the only one frozen that any us could eat was whiole foods. Again not wonderful & I'm sure full of lard. We usually don't even use a crust anymore. And we never ate all the crust on a pie before our gluten-free days.
But Betty Hageman has a recipe called Doona Jo's pie crust , I will say it is one of the best I've made & easy as well..
hth

mamaw

#5 lmvrbaby

lmvrbaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I bought gluten free frozen pie crusts at the local natural food store. I sprinkled sugar across the bottom before putting in the filling and didn't taste too bad. Didn't care for the frozen burger and hot dog rolls though. Last year I made pie crust from a mix and it took forever. If I have time I would use it again. Good luck to whatever you find and use.
Lisa

Mom of four boys
Nana to three granddaughters
Diagnosed with Celiac January 2006 after positive biopsy and follow up with positive blood tests
Diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome March 2006 after ruling out so many other things

Vitamin B12 deficiency October 2006
Oldest son diagnosed Celiac June 2006 also diagnosed type one diabetic November 2002

#6 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

I realize this is after-the-fact, but I made a pumpkin pie using Whole Foods Bakehouse frozen pie crust (it comes in a package of two) and it turned out AWESOME!! If it wasn't for the fact I was eating the pie, my family wouldn't have believed it was gluten-free!

Whole Foods also had a recipe for pie crust that was really good - flakey and actually had a taste to it - but I'm not sure if it's still on their website. When I have a chance, I'll post it on the Forum.

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: