This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Introducing Myself

all4gals

all4gals Newbie

Hi there! My name is Nicole and I have 4 little girls. My second daughter who is 5 has celiac disease. She has Down syndrome too, and was diagnosed w/celiac disease about 2 years ago. She's a doll and handles her allergies like a champ! She'll ask, "Mom eat?" and if I say it has gluten she'll say "BLAH!". Too cute! Occasionally she'll try to get what her sisters have but most of the time she really understands and monitors her food herself. When we have had accidents the gluten is obviously really toxic.

She was asymptomatic and routinely tested because it is more common in kids w/DS.

Anway I came here to post recently to find out if anyone had used Juice Plus products for the kids who have celiac disease. They say it's gluten-free but they use fiber from barley and oats. So I wanted to search more before I give them to her. The company says they test the product and it shows 0 gluten, that the husk they use does not have gluten. Hmmmm? Anyone?

Thanks! Nicole~ mom to Darrah, 6 years, Tarenne 5 years w/celiac disease and Down syndrome, Marley, 2 1/2 years and Emery, almost 1! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roo Explorer

Nicole,

I was reading your post and although I don't have an answer for you about the Juice Plus I do have a question.

I also am new to this board. I have a son who was just diagnosed with celiac. He was also asymtimatic just a little short for his age. Anyway, no stomach problems whatsoever. You mentioned that your daughter was also asymtimatic but now when you have accidental slip-ups you can tell how bad it is for her. What did you mean by that? Are you saying that while eating gluten before she was gluten-free she got no stomach aches and now when she does eat it by accident she gets stomach aches or other symptoms?

This is something I am really worried about and have heard conficting things about whether or not this happens.

Thanks,

Roo

Guest gfinnebraska

I use Juice Plus with no problems... I was also told that it is gluten-free. My daughter, who does NOT have celiac (adopted) has improved 100% taking the vitamins. Every winter she is very sick and has a lot of chest congestion problems, etc. This year, after 9 months on Juice Plus, she has not been sick at all. Yeah!! Time will tell whether it is the JP or whether she is just able to fight it off better or had a good year. We'll see!!

all4gals Newbie

Roo, before diagnosis Tarenne for all intents and purposes had no symptoms of the disease. Now looking back I realize she was refusing some foods, and had loose, frothy stools, etc. But much of the signs can also be associated w/her extra chromosome. For instance a distended abdomen is also part of her having low tone. And many people with DS have digestion issues as well that don't have anything to do w/celiac disease.

Now when she gets gluten she has horrible diarrhea and it has almost a chemical smell, she even has vomitted before after ingestion, she'll say "Mom stomach ache, shot". So funny she equates shots with being well just from wellness visits.

I have read that once the body is cleansed of gluten it's reaction to introduction of gluten is more severe. I hope that helps! Nicole

all4gals Newbie

Kimberly, Thank you SO much! You don't know how much I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to give it to her and watch for signs. I'll let you know if she seems to be intolerant. HUGS to you! You made my day. Nicole

Guest gfinnebraska

You are MORE than welcome... I always feel like I take more from this site than I give.... feels nice when I can help. :)

Archived