6 replies to this topic

#1 LCotter

LCotter

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:49 AM

So I've been gluten-free for almost 3 weeks and decided to see if I could tolerate dairy again. I ate about 3oz. of the Fage Plain Greek Yogurt last night and felt fine. This morning I had cramps then some D, yuck! But I also made homemade gluten-free chicken chili last night. Was it the beans or yogurt that could have caused this? What should I avoid being a newbie to the gluten-free? HELP!!
LCotter
gluten-free newbie
"in training" :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

Beans and dairy are both difficult foods to digest :huh:

You might want to stay off them for a few months... once your intestines have healed you'll be able to tell if you have a permanent intolerance. Hopefully you can eat them again :P
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#3 LCotter

LCotter

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

Beans and dairy are both difficult foods to digest :huh:

You might want to stay off them for a few months... once your intestines have healed you'll be able to tell if you have a permanent intolerance. Hopefully you can eat them again :P

What are the best foods to eat for the first couple months? Its such trial and error I know! Thanks for the advice!
LCotter

#4 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

Really simple foods are the best. Rice (the easiest grain to digest), meat, lots of vegetables, fresh fruit, seeds, nut butters, eggs, etc... Your body will probably thank you if you go easy on the sugar, dairy, and processed foods for a while :)

If you haven't done much cooking before, now is the perfect time to learn!
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

#5 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Since you are so new to gluten-free you probably need to stay away from dairy for awhile. I eat Fage every single day but that is only after 2 YEARS with no dairy and working it slowly back in.
A food log with symptoms is essential. It will be your friend. I cannot digest rice no matter how "easy to digest' people say it is. (My mom being a big proponent of this idea! God love her!) I even had trouble with chicken at first- not sure why. I ate fish (lots o' salmon), beef, bananas, cooked veggies (squashes, zuccini, summer squash, swiss chard, spinach...), larabars (on occasion and only a couple of bites), grapes and cooked berries for a couple of years! Yikes! But, I am very sensitive; you may have more luck. Add one food at a time so you can assess its influence. I still am soy, high-fructose corn syrup, mostly corn and, of course, gluten- free. oh yeah, I don't eat eggs much but am tryi g to work them back in- whites alone first.

I now successfully eat a healthy diet of hard cheeses, fage, beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, nuts, butter, occasional coffee with milk, raw sugar, fruits (not a ton), rice cakes, Tinkyada pasta (rice bothers me, Tinkyada does not- maybe it's been processed enough so I can disgest it?), tomatoes and tomato sauce, Larabars, sweet potatoes and McCormick spices. I cook everything myself (or Michael does) and I eat out almost NEVER but have had two recent ventures out that were successful.

Hang in there; it will become second nature at some point but there is a monumental learning curve.

lisa

#6 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Oops, I forgot to say I eat lots of veggies, too, mostly cooked- they seem to sit better!

#7 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

I think you have gotten great advice with the food journal. I pretty much know within an hour or so what is going to bother me, but it took me a lot of paying attention to get there. I kept food journals, too, for a while, until I could get a general reaction time, and narrowed down pretty much everything that bothered me.

I used to eat Fage everyday. Love that stuff! The last time I had it, it upset my tum, so I haven't tried it in a while.

I've been gluten-free a year. My doc and I don't think I'm lactose intolerant, but we're not totally sure. Keep a food journal for sure. It's probably best to cut dairy for now, but you may be one of those who can handle it.

When I first went gluten free, pretty much everything bothered me. When your intestines are all screwed up, nothing is happily digested. Hang in there, it gets easier!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: