This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Toaster

mmmSmores

mmmSmores Apprentice

Should I buy a new toaster? Or clean the old one (which is fairly new, haven't gotten my moneys worth just yet)? Also, if anyone suggests cleaning the old one, how do you clean a toaster?

By the way, I was out to lunch on Black Friday. I ordered a shrimp and avacado salad w/citrus dressing (oil based). They brought it out with a biscuit on the side of the plate, removed the biscuit and lettuce that touched it, and I got sick that night. I couldn't believe it. After all that I have read about CC, I have to admit that I was skeptical that such a small amount could make you feel like you did a round of shots of wheat flour, but it did! I've learned my lesson, I will tell the wait staff of my condition because you never know when a biscuit or bun might accomodate the meal you order.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Should I buy a new toaster? Or clean the old one (which is fairly new, haven't gotten my moneys worth just yet)? Also, if anyone suggests cleaning the old one, how do you clean a toaster?

By the way, I was out to lunch on Black Friday. I ordered a shrimp and avacado salad w/citrus dressing (oil based). They brought it out with a biscuit on the side of the plate, removed the biscuit and lettuce that touched it, and I got sick that night. I couldn't believe it. After all that I have read about CC, I have to admit that I was skeptical that such a small amount could make you feel like you did a round of shots of wheat flour, but it did! I've learned my lesson, I will tell the wait staff of my condition because you never know when a biscuit or bun might accomodate the meal you order.

You need a new toaster. Even toaser ovens can't be cleaned well enough. I suggest finding a college kid for your old one.

mamaw Community Regular

I second that! No way to clean a toaster, toaster oven, bread machine or a hand mixer ( flour just hids in the vents ) You can buy toasta bags for the toaster. I carry them when we travel....

You can get a toaster on sale for ten dollars...

hth

mamaw

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I am still usig the same toaster oven, but I only use it for cooking chicken breast and sweet potatoes. I scrubbed all the parts really good and always wrap my food in tin-foil and put it on top of the tray, which is double wrapped in tinfoil.. I havent had a problem, but if you can afford a new one I would DEFINITLY go with the new one!

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I'd say definitely a new toaster. I still use my toaster oven. Everything inside is stainless steel so I cleaned it well (the rack and the bottom piece that is removable) and then put in the dishwasher. Maybe it depends on the type of toaster oven you have. I am the only one that uses the toaster oven and hubby is the only one that uses the toaster. He is non-celiac.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I bought a new toaster oven, and kept the regular toaster for my husband. I find the toaster oven is easier to use, especially b/c my gluten-free bread is usually smaller than regular bread, which would make it hard to get out of one of the old slot toasters. I use my toaster oven for everything! It was $30 at walmart, and included a small George Forman grill! Quite a steal, I say :) It's probably the cheapest one out there, but I have been using it for 2 1/2 years, and it still works great!

johnsoniu Apprentice

Trash it, and any pots and pans that are teflon need to go to( gluten can stick in the scrathed surface area). Same with old wooden cooking utensils. I know it sounds overwhelming, but better safe than sorry. When I was diagnosed, my wife voluntarily threw everything in the kitchen out and bought all new stuff, although I think that was just an excuse to buy new stuff ;)

I must add that she also made the house entirely gluten free. She's such a sweetheart!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I kept getting sick in the beginning when I started out and My hubby bought me a new toaster and he kept the old one. Worked wonders for me.

When go to all the trouble of being gluten-free and have cc with the toaster.

Even when i recently went on a week get away my host bought a new toaster on sale for me for $6.00

now that's a friend who 'gets it'

seriously, it's a small investvent for your good health.

Judy

MollyBeth Contributor

I bought a new toaster. You could donate your old one to some kind of resale store.

ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Slicer toaster, replace it or get one for yourself. If you live with a gluten eater, keep the toaster for them. Our gluten toaster is in the laundry room on the counter with the gluten bread, disposable paper plates, etc. and my hubby/visitors use that sink for gluten crumbs, etc. The gluten-free toaster oven is our kitchen. Gluten items are not to touch it under threat of death, lol!

If you are the only person using your toaster (no room mate or hubby), then by all means, if you can afford it, get a new toaster. Even a toaster oven can hide flour in the vents, so replace it.

If you can't afford a new toaster, get rid of it anyway, and ask for one for Christmas from friends or family. Craiglist or freecycle your old one!

Archived