1 reply to this topic

#1 alltourmaline

alltourmaline

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hi, I just scared myself when I picked up a bag of "Snickers Popables" and noticed the ingredient: "modified wheat starch." Oh no, I thought, I've been eating Snicker bars, assuming that they were gluten-free! So I called the company, which is actually Master Foods, at 1-866-POPABLE, to inquire. This is what the Customer Service Rep told me. Please feel free to call the above number to confirm for your own peace of mind.

The rep said;

All M&M's are gluten-free, except for the "Crispy M&Ms"

Snicker bars are gluten-free

Snickers almond bars are gluten-free

Aqua drops (hard candy) are gluten-free

Skittles are gluten-free

Starburst is gluten-free

Dove candy bars are gluten-free

Three Musketeers Bars are gluten-free

THESE ARE THE PRODUCTS THE REP SAID ARE NOT gluten-free!

MILKY WAY BARS ARE NOT gluten-free
(except the midnight dark chocolate one)

All "POPABLES" ARE NOT gluten-free!!!!! (all flavors)

The "Popables" have modified wheat starch listed as an ingredient. The CSR checked with the Product Nutrition Rep who elaborated that the "Popables", (unlike the regular candy bars), are processed on the same lines as products with wheat, thus there is a chance of cross-contamination.

I asked the rep to forward my request to modify the "Popables" label to note: the warning of "This product may contain wheat." or "Processed on equipment that also processes wheat."

Read those labels carefully. I thought that the candy bars (like Snickers) and their Popables versions were the same. According to the company they aren't, due to the cross-contamination/equipment issue. So, no "Popables" for us!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

Those have contained wheat since they came out with them a couple of years ago. Never assume something is gluten free. When the candies change shapes, for example at holiday times, sometimes the formulation changes. Always read labels.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: