8 replies to this topic

#1 cressy75

cressy75

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

I stopped eating gluten about 3 weeks ago, i also stopped eating soya, msg, dairy and basically everything processed. Only thing i do have is green & blacks 85% dark organic chocolate, chocolate is my one addiction. I've noticed though that when i have some i start to have symptoms, irritability, foggy head. It does say on the label that it may contain soya or milk so i'm gussing it could be that. Does anyone know of any chocolate that is safe to eat cos i really can't imagine having to give up chocolate along with everything else.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nutrifoodie

nutrifoodie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

I love chocolate too, but being allergic to soy means I can't have it. I buy the 100% cacoa chocolate bars. It is a little bitter to begin with, but you get used to it. I now thoroughly enjoy it. Dip it in peanut butter (Maranatha brand is the best) to get started. Eventually you will like it, and won't miss the sugary icky chocolate of past days..

2006- IgG: various food intolerances
Wheat/Gluten free: February 2008
Soy free (IgA stool-positive): April 2008
GLUTEN free: 10/6/08
Dairy-lite: May 2008
Vegan: July 2008 - October 2008
Hypothyroid: August 2008

pro-vegetable
pro- RAW dairy
anti-sugar
pro-health and fitness

#3 Kathy in Alaska

Kathy in Alaska

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

There are Chocolate Chips by "Life is Good" and they are strictly Allergy Free.

I have not had Chocolate for 2 years due to Nut Allergy and this product is dedicated to being allergen free.
No Financial Interest, just a happy customer.

Kathy in Alaska

==========================

I stopped eating gluten about 3 weeks ago, i also stopped eating soya, msg, dairy and basically everything processed. Only thing i do have is green & blacks 85% dark organic chocolate, chocolate is my one addiction. I've noticed though that when i have some i start to have symptoms, irritability, foggy head. It does say on the label that it may contain soya or milk so i'm gussing it could be that. Does anyone know of any chocolate that is safe to eat cos i really can't imagine having to give up chocolate along with everything else.

#4 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

I can't eat dark chocolate, gluten-free or not, in any significant quantity.
Did you use to eat such dark chocolate? There's a lot of salicylates and amines in chocolate and those 85% bars are pretty intense. if you try another brand (gluten-free, like Dagoba) try the same portion size and see how you feel. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

#5 RDR

RDR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

Green and Black does indeed contain Soya Lecithin unfortunately. One good place to get chocolate is http://www.soyfreesales.com/index.htm
The other site I was going to suggest is temporarily closed while relocating but will be re-opening soon hopefully... http://www.wheyoutch...e.com/index.htm

They both are great!!!
Intolerances:
Gluten/Wheat
Corn
Bean Flours

Allergies:
Rice
Soy/Soya/Lecithin
Honey
Chocolate
Fish/Shellfish

Gluten-free since 2006

#6 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

My husband brought me 2 Green and Black white chocolate bars yesterday and for some reason I looked at the ingredients and saw the nasty word wheat. Went on their website and all their gluten free info is gone and instead is listed may contain wheat. I love white chocolate and am allergic to dark and this was the only game in town so I called them. They said they process wheat on the same lines as their chocolate and can no longer say they are gluten free. Any of it. So, if you're still eating it, be aware you may be getting wheat along with it. What a lousy day! First Mission tortillas and now this. Two of my favorites. But, maybe that explains why I am always getting "mystery glutening". So, I got a new box of jelly bellys and decided to check their website which has always said they are gluten free. Well, guess what? All that info is GONE. So, I wrote to them and am awaiting a reply. Until then, I am not touching them. :(
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#7 OptimisticMom42

OptimisticMom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

I've been using Enjoy Life Chocolate Bars and Chips. I like them. You can find them in the Gluten Free Mall. I buy them at Meijers.
Dx Celiacs March '09

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

soy free chocolates:

Michel Cuizel (French)
Chocolate Bonnat (French)
Slitti (Italian)
Bernard Castelain (French)
Domori (Italian)
Theo (US)

Available in some stores (Whole Foods, Pier 1), and online (I use www.chocosphere.com)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 Valorian

Valorian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:43 PM