29 replies to this topic

#16 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hi I was just diagnosed with celiac last week and it’s been very hard for me. My birthday is coming soon in May and I always have a birthday cake. Now that I have to stay in a gluten free diet I’m sad to thinking that I might not have a cake this year. Does anyone can recommend where to buy a birthday cake in NYC or a good recipe?thanks

My mum and I modified our old chocolate cake recipe to be gluten-free and it's delicious! I'll type it up for you tonight and post it. The first few weeks are the hardest because you still have to read every label and research all the ingredients. Give it a month or two and it will be a lot easier for you.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Here's my gluten-free Chocolate Cake recipe. It uses a mix of gluten free flours, which I've listed at the bottom.

Chocolate Cake

Place in bowl:
2 C gluten-free flour mix
2C sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
½ tsp egg replacer

Bring to boil and add to bowl:
1 stick butter
5 Tbsp cocoa
1C water

Add:
2 eggs slightly beaten
½ C sour milk or buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Bake at 350ºF, 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

FROSTING:
Heat and mix:
¼ stick butter
2 ½ Tbsp cocoa
3 Tbsp milk

Add:
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 ½ - 2 C powdered sugar, mix until smooth
½ C chopped nuts (optional)
Use more or less powdered sugar to get the right consistency to spread on cake
Spread frosting on warm cake

Gluten Free Flour Mix:
2 parts white rice flour
2/3 part potato starch flour
1/3 part tapioca flour
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#18 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

Wait a minute...dont mess with my Starbucks! :( Did he mention anything else that was risky (like the syrups?) or is it just the chocolate syrup? What about the caramel? I so wish Starbux would publish a list...

#19 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

Wait a minute...dont mess with my Starbucks! :( Did he mention anything else that was risky (like the syrups?) or is it just the chocolate syrup? What about the caramel? I so wish Starbux would publish a list...

Just got off the phone (1-800-235-2883) with Starbucks customer service they stated that mocha or chocolate is gluten-free, however the company they buy the chocolate from runs the risk of cc because of shared lines. This includes drinks such as white choc mocha, or the mocha fraps.... ;) So drink at ur own risk!
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#20 fanny

fanny

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:39 AM

My mum and I modified our old chocolate cake recipe to be gluten-free and it's delicious! I'll type it up for you tonight and post it. The first few weeks are the hardest because you still have to read every label and research all the ingredients. Give it a month or two and it will be a lot easier for you.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help that you nice people are giving me. Some time I feel lost and overwhelm with everything that's happening. I'm also schedule to have my gallbladder remove on May 5th this was the reason that the doctor discover my celiac, very scary time. I have a one year old son and his is so important to me so i have to care of myself for him.

Aww...you can still have cake! In NYC, you're in the perfect spot! If you can't find it in New York, where CAN you find it?

There's a place called Babycakes in Manhattan, which I hear is good, though I've never been. http://www.babycakesnyc.com/

Or you can make one with a mix, like Namaste or Pamela's! Most pillsbury frostings are gluten-free, just read the label. Welcome to the board!!! :lol:

Than you also I appreciate all your help.
Very happy to have found this message board.
Gluten Free Since 4/12/06

#21 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help that you nice people are giving me. Some time I feel lost and overwhelm with everything that's happening. I'm also schedule to have my gallbladder remove on May 5th this was the reason that the doctor discover my celiac, very scary time. I have a one year old son and his is so important to me so i have to care of myself for him.
Than you also I appreciate all your help.
Very happy to have found this message board.

i had my gall bladder taken out 5 years ago, my GI thinks thats what triggered my Celiac's, anywho, dont worry its sounds worse then it is, if your getting it done laproscopic u will heal a lot faster, you will be sore so make sure u take those pain killers, it will feel like u just did 1000 sit ups. Heres a helpful hint when u feel strong enough get up and walk around the house a little it actually feels good. i remember they used some type of gas to expand my abdomen area, and they said it will dissolve away on its own but u can help it along faster if u walk around. it feels like a little gas pocket moving around, when u lie down it goes up to ur shoulder, doesnt hurt, but its not comfortable. also if ur watching something funny on tv, make sure u have a pillow on ur belly and put pressure on it, laughing as fun as it is, will make ur muscles ache. But believe me if ur gall bladder is giving u problems, u will feel 100 times better after its out!!!
wishing u a speedy recovery :)

Boston, MA

#22 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

Just got off the phone (1-800-235-2883) with Starbucks customer service they stated that mocha or chocolate is gluten-free, however the company they buy the chocolate from runs the risk of cc because of shared lines. This includes drinks such as white choc mocha, or the mocha fraps.... ;) So drink at ur own risk!

Thanks moongirl. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but thanks for checking nonetheless...I would never have thought to verify w/ them, i thought all starbucks (except the obvious) were gluten-free. :(

#23 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thanks moongirl. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, but thanks for checking nonetheless...I would never have thought to verify w/ them, i thought all starbucks (except the obvious) were gluten-free. :(

They were all gluten-free last year for the exception of the malt and brownie drinks, they must have done more digging into what was really in their drinks, so they can cover their behinds ;)

Boston, MA

#24 wendyvogt

wendyvogt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post to this group but seeing as Starbucks has recently changed something that USED to be gluten free, I thought I should let people know. Starbucks told me previously that a vanilla-creme frappaccino (made with UBB + vanilla syrup) was gluten free. The vanilla bean was not gluten free due to contamination.

However, Starbucks no longer has UBB!! They now have something called CBB or Creme Beverage Base. This is no longer fat free (it is half-half) and I think they also changed other ingredients as well. The last time I was in Starbucks, I had the woman behind the counter read off the ingredients on the CBB and one of them was maltodextrin. Argh. I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I am...

So, I just called Starbucks and spoke with someone who is doing research on the ingredients in the CBB.
Will let you know when she gets back to me.

~wendy.

#25 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

However, Starbucks no longer has UBB!! They now have something called CBB or Creme Beverage Base. This is no longer fat free (it is half-half) and I think they also changed other ingredients as well. The last time I was in Starbucks, I had the woman behind the counter read off the ingredients on the CBB and one of them was maltodextrin. Argh. I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I am...

Maltodextrin is generally safe. :)

It sounds like it has WRBO in it, but it doesn't. I believe it's derived from corn.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#26 wendyvogt

wendyvogt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Maltodextrin is generally safe. :)

It sounds like it has WRBO in it, but it doesn't. I believe it's derived from corn.

hmmm. i have always been told to stay away from anything with "malt" or "dextrose" since you cannot be sure what the base ingredient is...

perhaps i can relax this rule?? i will do some reading about this.

thanks for the info -- and i will post when i hear back from starbucks re: CBB.
~wendy.

#27 J.P.

J.P.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

hmmm. i have always been told to stay away from anything with "malt" or "dextrose" since you cannot be sure what the base ingredient is...

perhaps i can relax this rule?? i will do some reading about this.

thanks for the info -- and i will post when i hear back from starbucks re: CBB.
~wendy.

Maltodextrin is ok. I picked up a subscription to the Gluten Intolerance Group Magazine and it has been very useful. Turns out a lot of stuff I initially cut were ok because of the new labeling guidelines and rules on how things are defined. Their web site is www.gluten.net, maybe you can get some back issues that talk about the new labels. The new FDA guideline for labels made a big difference, but they only had to start printing them January 1, they are still using the old stock of labels or some of the food is older so watch out for that. Usually you can tell because it will list milk or soy as an ingredient but not have the comment "contains: Milk/Soy". Bob's Red Mill makes a good chocolate cake mix, and make home made icing with cocoa from the recipe on the container. One major brand of icing has gluten the other has soy, so that is a problem if you can't tolerate soy too. I switched to Lactate milk because when you are first diagnosised you are going to be lactose intolerant too (lactase is made at the ends of the villi which are damaged). You may be able to tolerate it better later, but make get similar symptoms from milk as you do from gluten initially. I just started to be able to eat cheese after about 8 months gluten-free. Everyone at work ate the cake and had no idea it was gluten free.

#28 ajay

ajay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

When I used to go to Starbucks, they were very nice about letting me read the labels on their syrups & such. I used to keep it simple & get lattes most of the time... then I got an espresso maker & now I make my own. It's not quite as tasty, true, but I haven't made myself sick yet!

On cakes:

I'm very fond of flourless chocolate cake. Most recipes have a token 2tbs. of flour that you can just leave out altogether. And you can dust the pan with cocoa instead of flour. I also love the traditional Spanish Almond Cake, which is made without flour. Of course, none of these have that wonderful, fluffy "birthday cake" texture, but they are the cakes I've managed to cook successfully. I'm still trying to get the hang of baking with alternative flours...

:)
no wheat, no corn since 2002 (except the occasional accidental exposure)

#29 Dukebanta

Dukebanta

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Jamba juice has a list of gluten free items. Everything by ingredient, very through. Surprisingly there soy milk is not gluten free. Whey protein is.

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Just a head's up folks! Except for the post today - the product info on this thread is almost 7 years old. That is a long time for a product. Ingredients may have changed.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: