#1 mcle8232

mcle8232

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

From another recent post:

The fries at McD here are always done in a separate fryer so they don't share grease or anything with other things containing gluten.

Given the problems I've had with their fries... I just figured most mcD's do not care about contamination issues (or just aren't aware). I'd love to be able to eat some fries on the road once in awhile. And I wish that there was a good way to convince mcD's to make this 'seperate fryer' idea the RULE rather than the EXCEPTION.
Megan
confirmed celiac
bloodwork/endoscopy positive
gluten-free since July 2003

Baby boy (Nathan) born Feb 2nd 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

You always need to check with the McDonalds location, but as a general rule, their fries are made in a dedicated fryer, or a fryer that only contains other gluten-free products. Of course, whenever you eat out, there's a risk of contamination--but McDonalds tends to be better than other fastfood restaurants--I've read the horror stories of people who find an onion ring in the bottom of their Wendy's fries! :o

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:21 PM

Yea every McD I have been too they have had a separate fryer I called them as well and they assured me their products they consider gluten free are 100% gluten free. Of course there is always a risk of cross contamination everywhere you eat out so yes you must be careful but I consider McD alot better then other fast food places and restaurants....

celiac3270..my mom and I went to get some fries at BK and I was eating them and I pick something up and it wasn't a fry ..it was an onion ring...but no there was not just one in there...there was 2 in the bottom. I haven't been there in a long time though needless to say...I think McD fries are better anyway :lol:
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 mcle8232

mcle8232

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

Thanks guys!! Thats really good news. I'll visit McDs again sometime soon.
It could be that I've just been on a long road to recovery.

Yeah - I can remember eating at BK not too long ago when I didn't know that I had celiac disease - those chicken (breaded!) sandwiches tasted sooooooo good - then put me in sooooooo much pain afterward. Every time I somehow convinced myself that it couldn't have been the sandwich, and I'd go back again for another one :o
Megan
confirmed celiac

#5 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

The only thing I had been told (on the QT of course) is to be more careful about asking about a separate vat if it is late at night or close to closing time. Apparently there are some unscrupulous managers who will begin to fry everything in one vat so that they can clean up more quickly after closing. Woe be unto one who does that and McD's catches them, however, since they are generally committed to quality assurance.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:16 PM

What would they fry?

The only things they fry are hasbrowns and fries wich are glutenfree. The rest comes pre-done and they heat it up.

#7 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:19 PM

My sister worked in a fast food restaurant and she told me that sometimes at closing they would just cook everything in one fryer so that they could clean up faster. But also another thing to think about is that you dont know what someone cooked in that fryer yesterday or the day before etc. so the manager for that day could say that there are only fryes cooked in that oil, but in reality the manager the day before could have cooked somthing in that fryer. Just be really careful with it, because I know if I eat somthing that is not gluten-free I feel it for about two weeks after that. Good luck

#8 mcle8232

mcle8232

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

What would they fry? The only things they fry are hasbrowns and fries wich are glutenfree. The rest comes pre-done and they heat it up.

The breaded chicken nuggets come out of the deep fryer dont they?
Megan
confirmed celiac

#9 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:05 AM

The nuggets, Filet o Fish and Mc Chicken have a separate fryer from the fries and hash browns.

According to McDonalds corporate office, that is the guidelines the restaurants follow.

Whether or not they do depends on the individual McDonalds. It is best to ask.

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

The nuggets, Filet o Fish and Mc Chicken have a separate fryer from the fries and hash browns.

Even if they do have a separate frier, how can we be sure that they aren't using the same utensils to grab the fries and the nuggets, Filet o Fish, Mc Chicken. I've worked in the fast food industry and I know that when people are in a rush to get orders done on time they get pretty careless.

My advice:
Go during quiet hours
Ask if the fries are in a separate frier
Ask if utensils are shared

Personally, I don't eat at fast food restaurants because I think the risk of cross contamination is too high.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

I am pretty sure that now they do not fry any of the other fried items at the stores anymore. They used to.

#12 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:55 AM

FYI,

They have the big baskets for the fries at McD's.

They have smaller (individual holders) ones for the other food.

They don't use utensils for the fries -- they just sort of take the basket out and "throw" them onto the fry sheet........the nuggets and Fish/Chicken don't ever touch the fry sheet.

Jeez, I remeber alot from my working days at McD's (1st job in high school - 2 months one summer - back in the 90's).

Even then, the fries were separate.

#13 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:32 AM

like anytime a celiac eats outside the home, there is some risk.

personally, I don't think i've ever gotten sick off mcdonald's fries and compared to BK and other places (i won't eat fries at BK anymore cos finding onion rings in my fries twice) i really do think they are the best fast food place for us (in my experience)
gXf since november 1998

#14 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have gotten sick from McD's fries on 2 occasions, from the same place - which I've also been able to eat successfully at. It could've been from being in the bag with the other food - maybe some breading from the nuggets got in there. It could've been from the people handling it. But after 2 episodes of that, I am officially done with McD's. :angry:
-donna

#15 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

I went up to a McD's counterperson recently just to ask about the whole "do you have a dedicated fryer" issue, and the lady had no idea what I was even talking about or how to answer me. I decided then and there I would never eat at McD's again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: