27 replies to this topic

#16 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:47 AM

Most mcd's employee's are high school students, or people who are of lower education levels, sometimes even mentally challenged workers. They work for minimal pay. For someone not to understand the term "dedicated fryer" isn't really suprising. Try explaining what dedicated fryer means after you say that or say something like "do you fry your chicken nuggets in the same oil as the fries?". This seems to work much better for me. They understand, I get the answer I need.

I would trust Mcd's over any other fast food place. I have had chicken nuggets in my fries at wendy's <_<

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:01 PM

I do the same thing, Jessica...the "Are your fries cooked in separate oil from the nuggets?" thing.....

It's a risk to eat out--but eating out anywhere is a risk. I will eat at McDonalds, but would never eat at some of the other fastfood chains, such as Wendys and Burger King.

#18 elainegl

elainegl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:16 PM

So far I've had no problem at a McD's, except the one at the airport (which isn't big enough to have separate fryers). I ask the same way, questioning whether the fries are cooked with the nuggets.

Elaine

Edited by elainegl, 15 March 2005 - 04:17 PM.

#19 JJL

JJL

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Don't McDonald's make onion rings any more? Because I know those would fry next to the fries, and probably be served with the same baskets and scoops as the fries. That's how you always end up with onion rings in your fries at BK, as far as I can tell.

On a related note, do we know for sure that McD's don't add glutenous flavorings or whatnot to their fries? I'm guessing they don't, since nobody here seems to have any problem eating them, but would like to know for sure. I'm cautious about fries these days, after eating some curly fries that I didn't realise were breaded at a local theater.

(Dumb mistake, I realise. But I'm still new to this stuff. I am quickly becoming more and more suspicious of everything that I eat, no matter how simple it seems.)

#20 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

The McDonalds ones I know for sure are gluten free. They even have a list of their gluten-free products on their website. I consider them a pretty safe place for their gluten free items. I eat hash browns and fries there all the time. I have never heard of them selling onion rings...even if they do they have their fries done in a separate fryer. I don't know that other fast food chains do that. I don't trust places like BK and Wendys anymore(except for frostys) but I do trust McDonalds and I have never had a problem with their gluten-free food.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

Yea--they say they're gluten-free, so unless they're lying to us :P, then they fries are gluten-free. And such a large chain would not take the risk of lying to consumers...it would be terrible for their name.

Here's McD's gluten-free list in the US:
http://www.mcdonalds...uten.index.html

#22 grolla

grolla

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

Perhaps not McD, but concerning fries, you are barking up the wrong tree with the fryer dilemma...Almost all fries, which aren't hand cut and made in house have a coating of flour. We own a restaurant and although we don't serve fries, it's amazing what I've learned about what goes into pre-processed food. Flour is added to most potato products for two purposes: First to prevent sticking together when frozen, and second to make the fried product more crispy longer. I would warn against all french fries unless you see the potatoes they came from.

#23 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:09 PM

No offence,but I don't think these large companies are going to lie. They have too much at risk. Some fries do have flour, but the companies will tell you that such as sonic drive in. I called them about a year ago and they were very honest and said their fries were coated.

Jessica
Kansas

#24 Guest_ajlauer_*

Guest_ajlauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:37 PM

I would think McD's would be honest in the ingredient labeling now. About a year ago, there was some "scam" about unlabeled beef flavoring (or something) in the fries or fry oil. The jewish community, I think it was, caused a big stir over it. I'm sure there was a settlement and some money exchange involved. So at this point - I would trust whatever their ingredient information lists. But again.... it varies by the individual McD's. The average High School student employee wouldn't give a darn what was cooked with what, and won't care if you get sick. I've worked at food places before where people PURPOSELY contaminated foods if the customer made a special request. They don't like the "hassle" of being asked a question!!! Sad, but true!

#25 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

;) ummmmmmm my son is the manager of a Mcdonalds in Michigan and he says they have been safe with the fryers for a very long time and I might add--I have never gotten sick from McD fries--I am now living in New York and have not had any fries for 3 months now--but even here when I visited before I was fine--I have been gluten-free for almost 4 yrs now--I definately would trust their fries----Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#26 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:23 AM

Yes--I've never had an issue with their fries.

Jessica, I wasn't suggesting that they were lying--just that the fries were gluten-free unless the corporation was taking the great risk of lying to customers who could get very sick as a result. I also think that if they weren't gluten-free, we'd all be complaining about contamination; in reality, very few of us here have experienced contamination at McDonald's at all, let alone every time we visit.

#27 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:24 AM

celiac3270 my comment wasn't directed twards you, sorry. Was meant for grolla.

Jessica
Kansas

#28 JJL

JJL

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:08 PM

To add to what ajlauer said:

In the wake of the McLibel trial in Britain and the publication of Fast Food Nation, McD's had enormous public image difficulties. The nonvegetarian fries scandal mentioned above came about because one throwaway line in Fast Food Nation revealed that McD's used animal products in their fries. When they admitted they used "miniscule amounts of beef flavouring in the raw product" they were very quickly attacked by Jainists, vegetarians and Hindus worldwide, because they had always claimed that the fries were a good option for vegetarians. Their plans to expand operations in India were seriously threatened, and they had to clean up their whole act pretty quickly.

I don't know how the enormous class-action suits played out in the end, but it was probably the most serious PR crisis McDonald's has ever had. I think they've reformed quite a bit since then, and become much more careful about little things like lying to their customers. I think they would be afraid to, these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: