Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Everyone Have Two Copies Of Gluten Sensitive Genes?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Hull Brown

Amy Hull Brown

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

I've now had four tests taken with Enterolab - mine, both of my parents, and my husband. We all end up with the statement that although we do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue, we have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity. I'm beginning to wonder if everyone has two copies of the gluten sensitive gene??? How common is it? What are all the possible combinations of these genes anyway? Any help is appreciated.

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LisaInTexas

LisaInTexas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

I've now had four tests taken with Enterolab - mine, both of my parents, and my husband. We all end up with the statement that although we do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue, we have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity. I'm beginning to wonder if everyone has two copies of the gluten sensitive gene??? How common is it? What are all the possible combinations of these genes anyway? Any help is appreciated.

Amy

I had one gluten sensitive gene and one celiac gene. So, no - everyone does NOT have two copies of the gluten sensitive gene. ;)
---
One celiac marker, one gluten sensitive marker
Positive for autoimmune reaction/tissue transglutaminase
Positive for gluten sensitivity/IgA antibodies elevated
10/20/08 gluten free
12/1/08 meat free

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

You will have either one Celiac gene and one "gluten sensitive" gene, or 2 Celiac genes, or 2 "gluten sensitivity" genes.

Since pretty much the entire population carry either Celiac genes or what Enterolab considers to be "gluten sensitive" genes...you are pretty much guaranteed to have either 2 celiac genes, 2 gluten sensitivity genes...or one of each. I havent seen it happen any other way.

Personally, I was only really concerned with whether or not I had Celiac genes.....as the others arent recognized at this point.
Rachel

#4 Amy Hull Brown

Amy Hull Brown

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

So, Rachel, are you saying that Enterolab will always report at least one gluten sensitive gene or one Celiac gene? In that case, will some people test with the genes, but not have above normal IgA levels?

You will have either one Celiac gene and one "gluten sensitive" gene, or 2 Celiac genes, or 2 "gluten sensitivity" genes.

Since pretty much the entire population carry either Celiac genes or what Enterolab considers to be "gluten sensitive" genes...you are pretty much guaranteed to have either 2 celiac genes, 2 gluten sensitivity genes...or one of each. I havent seen it happen any other way.

Personally, I was only really concerned with whether or not I had Celiac genes.....as the others arent recognized at this point.

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

So, Rachel, are you saying that Enterolab will always report at least one gluten sensitive gene or one Celiac gene? In that case, will some people test with the genes, but not have above normal IgA levels?

Yes, you can have these genes in any combination and not have elevated antigliadin IgA.

You can have one or both Celiac genes and still never develop Celiac Disease.

Having the genes only predisposes you to the disease......it doesnt mean that you have it....or will ever have it.

As far as the gluten sensitivity genes....I believe that Enterolab is the only lab testing for those.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: