This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tactless! But Funny...

shan

shan Contributor

My dd was really cute, if not tactless, but i sure got the message!!! I made her cookies last night, which were gluten, dairy and soya free, which she tasted after her lunch today. Her only comment on them were, "Ma, they look like ....... throw up don't they!!!" I was ready to cry!!! (from laughter ;) )

Seriously, i couldn't use any butter or marg - dairy and soya - so i used oil instead of marg, couldn't use chocolate chips coz they have soya lecithin, so i grated the chocolate instead. The taste wasn't bad, but they looked awful!!! For muffins and other breakfast stuff, i am putting raisins or dried fruit instead, and i can generally use oil for cakes instead of marg. But for cookies i am finding life much harder. Every cookie i have tried has come out looking awful. (Some tasted so good that my gluten eating neighbour makes them and is blaming me she is putting on weight!)

She doesn't care for, and nor does my pocket care for, the prepackaged ones. Anyway most of those have soya in it.

Does anyone have an ALREADY adapted cookie recipe??? Please??? She does not like PB :(

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

LOL. I don't have a cookie recipe for you but Enjoy Life chocolate chips are gluten, dairy and soy free (no lecithin either) and are quite tasty in baked goods. Also, a lot of people use coconut oil or palm oil shortening in baked goods.

Treen Bean Apprentice

Hemp milk works well for baking as well!

Janessa Rookie

Buckwheat Chocolate chip cookies - use Enjoy Life chips

Open Original Shared Link

And look at all the other recipes on there too, they are fantastic and perfect for multiple intolerances

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

You could also try Gluten free girl's PB cookies but use almond butter instead, that would be yummy.

1 cup almond butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp baking soda

Mix, make tiny cookies (might wanna fridge first) and bake at 350 for ten minutes. Works better the smaller the cookies are, and only bake until the edge is just set and changing color. Add choc chips if desired, or squish them in the top while they're hot.

shan Contributor

Thanks for all your replies! ANy cookies that look half normal i am willing to try!!! (Just by the way, ever thought in you head "I HATE ALLERGIES" ;) ) I guess i when my stuff doesn't work out i get put off baking for a while!! Also, seeing as i have such trouble with breakfast at the moment, so it is also muffins, as in another thing to bake, when i get a wrong comment... well her breakfast might be nonexistant!!!!

Seriously, where do you buy things like almond butter?! And buckwheat flour?! Or any of these wierd flours... All i have at hthe moment is potato, tapioca, corn and rice. Those are sold in a lot of the shops around here, will i find the others in a second rate health shop? The type of shop that thinks they have everything for celiacs nad you get there and they just about have half a shelf??? Know what type i am talking about?!?!

I think i am now officially desperate for her to grow out of this dairy and soya allergy :D:D:D

Thanks for all your replies! ANy cookies that look half normal i am willing to try!!! (Just by the way, ever thought in you head "I HATE ALLERGIES" ;) ) I guess i when my stuff doesn't work out i get put off baking for a while!! Also, seeing as i have such trouble with breakfast at the moment, so it is also muffins, as in another thing to bake, when i get a wrong comment... well her breakfast might be nonexistant!!!!

Seriously, where do you buy things like almond butter?! And buckwheat flour?! Or any of these wierd flours... All i have at hthe moment is potato, tapioca, corn and rice. Those are sold in a lot of the shops around here, will i find the others in a second rate health shop? The type of shop that thinks they have everything for celiacs nad you get there and they just about have half a shelf??? Know what type i am talking about?!?!

I think i am now officially desperate for her to grow out of this dairy and soya allergy :D:D:D

Relax. We're here to help. :)

I get almond butter at Trader Joe's or my local big grocery. I get buckwheat flour wherever they carry a good selection of BRM stuff. And yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean about those health food stores! If you'd like to pm me and tell me where you live, I'll be happy to help you find places to shop and eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

You can use coconut oil instead of butter, Enjoy Life chocolate chips and rice milk. Simply substitute in your favorite cookie recipe at 1:1 ratios. Has always worked for me :)

Janessa Rookie

Whole Foods of course will have lots of flours and other gluten free products, my local health food store also carries all the gluten-free flours

What I do is go to Whole Foods and buy different things I want to try and then if I like them I will by bulk online like on Amazon. That way it is not as $$$

msmini14 Enthusiast

If you have a Costco near you they sell huge jars of almond butter for the same price as a tiny one at the store. I have made almond butter cookies and they are good,kind of chewy, I liked them lol.

Pumpkin corn muffins are awesme. Make a batch of something, if you like it make more and freeze them. My part of the freezer is full of pumpkin corn muffins, brownies, pumpkin cookies, mini cheesecakes lol.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Lot's of people here recommend Spectrum Shortening (made from palm oil) for a butter/margerine substitute in baking.

Lot's of people here recommend Spectrum Shortening (made from palm oil) for a butter/margerine substitute in baking.

Ditto. It creates good textures and appearance, also imparts a lovely flavor.

purple Community Regular

I tried the following recipe but I need to make them again soon so I can write down the adjustments. They taste exactly like "regular" choc chippers. Really good!

My dough was too oily so I added more flour. They didn't spread out so I flattened them a bit. Its a no egg recipe but just add egg instead.

Be sure to read the posted comments.

I used light olive oil (didn't need to heat/melt it), gluten-free flour mix with 1 tsp. xanthan gum added (for a full recipe). I only made 1/2 a recipe but ended up adding enough flour to make the dough look right w/o adding anything else.

Repeat...they were really good! The best recipe I found so far that is vegan and gluten-free.

You could try spectrum shortening.

I used sorghum mix but rice flour mix should work too.

My dd and I hope to make them tomorrow to add to her vegan report at school.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Form the cookies into balls and freeze them then bake frozen. It helps them to hold their shape.

shan Contributor

Thanks, you are the best!! Sometimes i just want to give up and give her gluten again, but i know that it is really the soya and dairy that is getting me down now, coz those are new additions to her diet. I was telling my DH that if she could eat gluten, but still be off dairy and soya, it would be just as hard, coz almost all bread spreads are dairy/soya. Even PB has, although i think i might have one that is soya free, just need hubby to read ingredients, coz its not english!! :D So, now i have to come up with a breakfast and lunch meal that is ok for her. She has breakfast at home, at around 10.30 they eat a sandwhich, and then thy come home for lunch! So i can't quite send her with a thermos meal for 10.30 - i know i couldn't stomach a heavy meal then, so i doubt she would!! I have sent her in with muffins, and seeing as she is still so little, not yet 4, i don't care to give her cake for breakfast - she doesn't yet need to concentrate :D:D:D But i still call it a special treat, like this she doeasn't get it every day...

Her 10.30 meal, is very often an apple/banana with a couple of rice cake sandwhiches (she hates it and often brings it back) and then for lunch is an egg and veggies. Supper is our main meal and she loves her lunch, although i don't know how healthy it is to give her eggs 6 days a week with cholesterol problems that are genetic in my hubby's family. (He's 28 and been on medication for years, that diet and excercise didn't help :( At least he can still eat chocolate and not feel bad ;) )

Any tips, all will be welcome. She HATES all gluten free bread, coz they 'make to much mess'!!!!

purple Community Regular

Here's a couple of recipes to try that are gluten-free/df/sf/egg f:

I use 1 1/2 cups almond milk, finely chopped almonds and I keep a banana in the freezer to thaw when needed.

This bread is easy to make. I brush the top with light olive oil using plastic wrap to dab it on. It makes 8 "non-messy" slices. I use a hand mixer and all the water. Just need to spray the pan. It tastes like "white" bread. Leftovers works good for french toast.

Here's a bread that I felll in love with and have been playing with ever since.

The "gluten-free bread that almost makes you cry" is about a 3rd of the way up from the bottom, I haven't tried the other recipes but they sure look lovely. This one is good for sanwiches because it's soft ans doesn't 'make too much mess'.

spinsterwitch Rookie

Wow! No gluten, dairy or soy. That's a challenge. Here are some thoughts: hummus (you can make it at home if you have a good food processor and that way control the amount of garlic - since sometimes kids don't like that as much). It's a great dip/spread to use with crackers. As for crackers, Mary's Gone Crackers are awesome and not messy.

Get some gluten free tortillas...then you could make her wraps with hummus or almond butter or homemade guacamole. Or get a good flatbread recipe to try. I always liked bumps on a log (celery, almond butter and raisins) as a treat for lunch.

You could also make your own gorp/trailmix with sunflower seeds (and other nuts) and dried fruit.

Latkes (with sweet or regular potatoes) would also be a good variation. I like sweet potato latkes cold, too.

I think the hardest thing is obviously going to be the variety.

I hope some of those ideas help.

Wonka Apprentice
She HATES all gluten free bread, coz they 'make to much mess'!!!!

Have you tried making her a sandwich with a gluten-free wrap? I have a recipe that I make everyday for my kids. It calls for powdered milk and water so I just subbed in rice milk (I have can't have dairy, soy or gluten). For my kids I leave out the seeds in the recipe but I do keep the salt and pepper (they don't notice it). I can't have potato flour so I use arrowroot flour but really this recipe is so adaptable, try it with what you do have. I made this at 7:30 am and it was ready to wrap around a sandwich by 8:00 a.m.

Gluten Free, Whole Grain Sandwich Wraps

Recipe makes one jelly roll pan of wraps/ gluten-free lavash bread

Ingredients:

1/4 cup sorghum flour

1/4 cup millet flour( I use quinoa flour)

1/4 cup potato starch (NOT flour)

1/4 cup tapioca starch

1 Tablespoons yeast

2 Tablespoons powdered buttermilk or non-dairy powdered milk

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

3/4 cup of warm water (+/- tablespoons of water)

1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

3/4 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoons cracked black pepper*

3/4 teaspoons cumin*

3/4 teaspoons dill*

3/4 teaspoons fennel*

(*Feel free to omit the seasonings (but not the salt) if you prefer a plain flavor. I found the herbs to be an amazing addition for my sandwiches.)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400F.

2. Mix together the dry ingredients in the bowl of your mixer - sorghum, millet, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, yeast, powdered buttermilk, salt and optional seasonings.

3. Mix together the water (start with 3/4 cup), agave nectar, olive oil and vinegar.

4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix on low until blended. The dough should not resist the beaters and bounce around in the bowl but rather be more of a soft cookie dough - maybe even a bit more wet.

5. Beat the dough on high for no more than 2 minutes. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spread the dough as thinly as possible to cover the 10 x 15″ jelly roll pan. (To do this, I used a rubber spatula and kept dipping it in to water to keep the dough from sticking. This dough is not really as sticky as you might think - but the extra water helps push it out easier.)

6. Bake at 400F for 13-16 minutes until the top begins to brown and the edges are browned. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight bag. (I rolled mine up in the parchment paper and then tucked it in to a gallon size Ziploc last night before heading off to bed.)

Archived