This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Campbells Soup And Swanson Broth Alerts

LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Just FYI, to all my fellow Celiacs.......I just saw a notice on the Cecilia's Marketplace website, under Product Alerts stating that Campbells has recenty changed ingredients and products that were OK now contain gluten. I didn't trust any of their soups anyway, but I do use some of the Swanson's broths in cooking and soup making. If anyone is using products in either of those categories, you should probably verify that yours is not on the forbidden list now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

Here is the actual letter. I got it from my Celiac support group. Note that Pace and Prego are no longer gluten-free. And my family loves Prego speghetti sauce! :(

Dear Gluten-Free Friends & Family,

Today we received many emails regarding the recent Product Alerts concerning

Campbell's brands; Pace, Prego and Swanson. We would like to confirm that

Campbell's states that due to recent ingredient changes no Pace and Prego

products are gluten-free.

In regards to Swanson, we would like to clarify which broths should be REMOVED

from your guide and which broths are gluten-free.

Contains Gluten! (REMOVE From Guide):

Swanson:

REMOVE: Lower Sodium Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)

REMOVE: Organic Broths (All)

REMOVE: Ready To Serve Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)

Gluten-Free (SAFE):

Swanson:

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth (All)

Chicken Broth (All)

Vegetable Broth (14 oz can)

Chicken Broth Roasted Garlic (new product)

We have updated our website and 'Product Alerts' to reflect the correct

information. Please check our 'Product Alerts' to make sure the correct products

have been removed from your guide.

Please remember to always double check labels as product ingredients change. If

you have specific ingredients questions about these products please contact

Campbell's 1-800-257-8443

We wish you the best.

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,

Cecelia's Marketplace

flourgirl Apprentice

So I found out......we used the chicken broth. It was ok, so I stopped checking the label. After getting ill I started checking labels on everything again....as I should have been doing all along. No more swansons chicken broth for us! :angry: Now we use the vegetable broth only. I find I like it as well if not better than the chicken. :D You can bet I won't relax about labels again!

Juliebove Rising Star

This is odd. I haven't bought any Swanson's broth in years. I think it contained soy and we avoid that. But I recently bought a case of the chicken at Costco. I think it was organic. It appeared to be safe. They also had beef and it was not safe, but once again, I think it was soy.

I normally buy Pacific or Imagine. I only bought the Swanson because I didn't see any of the Pacific. I found it after I put that case in my cart and didn't feel like taking it back to the other aisle.

Lisa Mentor

Just a note here - Campbell's US and Campbell's Canada have TOTALLY different gluten free listings.

I believe this change is for Campbell's US gluten free products.

larry mac Enthusiast

Anyone know what gluten ingredients we're talking about here? I'm surprised there's wheat in salsa. I don't use Pace often (I make my own), but I eat it frequently at get togethers. It's very popular and they have many varieties. Is there gluten in all the different kinds?

Same goes for Prego. I don't ever recall wheat being in spaghetti sauces.

Or is this just a CYA type of thing?

best regards, lm

LDJofDenver Apprentice
Anyone know what gluten ingredients we're talking about here? I'm surprised there's wheat in salsa. I don't use Pace often (I make my own), but I eat it frequently at get togethers. It's very popular and they have many varieties. Is there gluten in all the different kinds?

best regards, lm

I don't know what specifically is now an ingredient in each of the product lines, but I'd sent Campbell's an email asking about one of their ready-to-serve soups in the boxes - the V8 Butternut Squash one - and they replied that their modified food starch could be derived from wheat. All other ingredients listed looked safe, but that one (modified food starch) didn't name the source so I questioned it. So that ended that.

Here's the quote from Cecilia's

....We would like to confirm that Campbell's states that due to recent ingredient changes NO Pace and Prego products are gluten-free....

I've been at restaurants whose chefs told me they use flour in their marinara sauces, so I guess it's not that uncommon. But it isn't always wheat (or flour) that's the culprit. In my former favorite salsa (before diagnosis) they add barley malt for flavor and/or color, so in that case it's not wheat but something else just as harmful to us.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
they replied that their modified food starch could be derived from wheat. All other ingredients listed looked safe, but that one (modified food starch) didn't name the source so I questioned it. So that ended that.

If their modified food starch IS derived from wheat and it is not listed, they are in violation of the law. I think that their customer service rep is not informed.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

best regards, lm

None of the Pace products are gluten free anymore. All have been removed from the gluten-free list that Campbells will provide.

Prego contains undisclosed barley in the natural flavors. Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

I have checked my broth again and can't see anything that looks like it would be gluten. Could it be cc?

LDJofDenver Apprentice
If their modified food starch IS derived from wheat and it is not listed, they are in violation of the law. I think that their customer service rep is not informed.

Who enforces this? Next time you're at the grocer, read the ingredients on their V8 ready to serve Butternut Squash Soup -- it looks safe, but like I said it didn't name the source of the Modified Food Starch. And when I questioned them, they sent this rambling reply and never directly answered my question:

...we received your message and appreciate your taking the

time to contact Campbell Soup Companyregarding the use of modified food

starch in our products.

Modified food starch helps give our products a smooth texture without

adding a starchy taste. The starch can be derived from corn, potato,

wheat or tapioca and is modifed in order to retain its quality from the

time it is added until the product is enjoyed.

The Campbell Soup Company follows all government regulations regarding the

labeling of our products. In the case of the top 8 allergens (peanuts,

tree nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, wheat, soy and shellfish) we list those

ingredients in the product ingredient statement, no matter how small the

amount might be. We do not include any of those items under the broader

listings of "spices" or "natural flavors". We recommend that consumers

always check the ingredient statement and evaluate the product based on

the statement.

We appreciate your interest in our company. Please contact our Consumer

Response Center or visit Campbell's website if we can be of further

assistance.

Thank you for visiting the Campbell Soup website.

- - - - - -

WHile they say they are complying in listing allergens, the paragraph regarding Modified Food Starch never tells me what the source is in the soup I inquired about. And they direct me back to reading the label -- which didn't tell me! SHeez. I'll be steering clear of their product lines.

Lisa Mentor

I would assume, if the Butternut Squash Soup does not list wheat, then the modified food starch in NOT derived from wheat. Remember, barley, malt and rye CAN hide in "natural flavors". That's when you call.

Campbell's has such limited option for those gluten free (except V-8 and Splash), that I just don't go there. They could do better, but don't. Their answer to you was a bit of mombo jumbo, but they did state their allergen statement.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

best regards, lm

I called Cambells and they told me that because of an ingredient change ALL pace and prego are no longer gluten free. I agree with you about the wheat but perhaps its barley in the natural flavorings? Prego is a sweeter sauce, just guessing here. Or maybe they just decided not to deal with saying they are gluten free (not smart on their part). They said for my inconvenience they would send me some coupons, I don't feel I can trust them anymore to use them. :(

larry mac Enthusiast

Sounds like a CYA thing. They probably don't have a clue what's in their modified food starch. They just buy it from a supplier. So it's safer from a liability standpoint to state that it's not considered to be gluten-free.

Big deal. I don't worry about modified food starch.

Now as far as their product lines go. I think it goes without saying that we don't even go there as far as Cambells soups are concerned. Almost all of their soups contain actual wheat flour. And most Celiacs would get the mental heebie jeevies just thinking about one of their soups that didn't have wheat listed on the label.

Salsa and spaghetti sauce. I personally wouldn't worry about it if it didn't list wheat, barely malt, or some other gluten ingredient. That's just me. Of course if I got sick, I'd reconsider.

best regards, lm

mommida Enthusiast

I've gotten sick from three bites of salsa on gluten free chips before. It is a concern. Your body does not really care if it was wheat, rye, or barley, it was just enough for your immune system to recognize and start the attack.

Take Prego and the others off the safe list and move on.

It appears the Swanson regular Chicken broth is still safe? Just not the natural organic any variety and all the beef broths are not safe anymore!!? Right?

LDJofDenver Apprentice
I've gotten sick from three bites of salsa on gluten free chips before. It is a concern. Your body does not really care if it was wheat, rye, or barley, it was just enough for your immune system to recognize and start the attack.

Take Prego and the others off the safe list and move on.

It appears the Swanson regular Chicken broth is still safe? Just not the natural organic any variety and all the beef broths are not safe anymore!!? Right?

According to the Cecilia's Marketplace info:

Contains Gluten! (REMOVE From Guide):

Swanson:

REMOVE: Lower Sodium Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)

REMOVE: Organic Broths (All)

REMOVE: Ready To Serve Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)

Gluten-Free (SAFE):

Swanson:

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth (All)

Chicken Broth (All)

Vegetable Broth (14 oz can)

Chicken Broth Roasted Garlic (new product)

And they also listed a toll free number for Campbell's:

1-800-257-8443

I, too, have had reactions to some salsas and other sauces, and fairly quickly after ingested. Now, if in doubt, I just pass it by. Not worth the risk.

MNBeth Explorer
Salsa and spaghetti sauce. I personally wouldn't worry about it if it didn't list wheat, barely malt, or some other gluten ingredient. That's just me. Of course if I got sick, I'd reconsider.

best regards, lm

But barley malt can be in a product *without* being named in the ingredients list. Since barley isn't one of the "big 8," they can just call it "natural flavors" in the ingredients list.

BTW, I am not saying that Pace has barley malt. But I'm pretty sure there's something in there, as my son and I just got over two weeks of misery after eating Pace salsa for a couple of days. (We experience delayed reactions, so we don't know right away.) So here we are with a big Costco jar of salsa that we can't eat any more.

And another big jar of Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa that I called about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a return call on. Argh. I hate making phone calls. I really hate making them twice.

rio Newbie

And another big jar of Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa that I called about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a return call on. Argh. I hate making phone calls. I really hate making them twice.

MNBeth Explorer
I actually recently called about the Kirkland Salsa as well and just got a reply. Sure enough, it's gluten free!

Oh, yea!! I still haven't called them again, and now I don't have to. :D Thanks for letting me know!

debmidge Rising Star
I've been at restaurants whose chefs told me they use flour in their marinara sauces, so I guess it's not that uncommon.

Everyone who knows me knows my husband has celiac, not me. This being said I have to add I

have an Italian background. My Italian grandmother never put wheat (nor sugar or corn syrup) in her sauce - and I'd never eat sauce with wheat in it - yuck! As my grandmother would exclaim "Amerigan!" If sauce is made correctly, it does not need thickener agents. So you're on the right track (no wheat in sauce, please!).

• 3 weeks later...
mama23 Newbie

I just got sick after accidently using the Pace Salsa, I only ate a few bites.

It was not my full blown gluten reaction, but it was there. Just an FYI for others who may be wondering. None of the ingredients are obvious except distilled vinegar (which most list as safe anyway) and the natural flavorings, which I thought that manufacturers could not hide gluten under "natural flavorings".

Frustrating! <_<

• 1 month later...
aklap Newbie

Susan Baranowsky - the Director of Consummer Affairs emailed me the newly updated Campbell's Gluten-free List.

Susan happened to join another board to clear up some of the confusion that surrounded their Prego and Pace products.

Thank you so much for your continued patience. I am glad you are interested in our Gluten-Free List. I would like to clear up any confusion that may have resulted from the information you have received.

After FDA issued its proposed regulation about "gluten-free" food labeling, Campbell had temporarily removed some products, such as our Prego and Pace brands. We did this to ensure that we could provide consumers with the most accurate and up-to-date information.

We are in the process of updating and confirming the gluten-free status of all our products. We have completed our analysis of our beverage, broth, stock and Prego products. Please send me your email address and I will attach our most recent list so that you can make it available to others.

Again thanks for your patience,

Susan Baranowsky

Director Consumer Affairs, Campbell Soup Company

If you'd like to follow the entire conversation Open Original Shared Link.

Ms. Baranowsky asked me to distribute this list.

Here is the Open Original Shared Link

Here's the plain text -

Campbell's GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS - FEBRUARY 2009

Because we are constantly improving our products, please check the ingredient statement on the label of every product. We will make every effort to keep this list up-to-date.

Gluten is a protein found in rye, barley, oats and wheat (including atta, bulgur, couscous, durum, einkorn, emmer, farina, kamut, seitan, semolina, spelt, triticale and triticum aestivu).

Every effort is made to avoid cross-contact with our ingredients and products that have gluten ingredients. This includes sanitation controls, storage controls, manufacturing controls and product rework controls.

The following list contains products in which every ingredient in each product was verified as being gluten-free. As a further safeguard, we analyzed each product to ensure compliance with our strict gluten-free standards.

Swanson Broth & Stock (Aseptic)

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth

Chicken Stock

Chicken Broth

Beef Stock

Swanson Broth (Canned)

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth

Chicken Broth

Vegetarian Broth

Chicken Broth with Garlic

Prego Heart Smart Italian Sauce

Heart Smart Mushroom

Heart Smart Onion & Garlic

Heart Smart Ricotta Parmesan

Heart Smart Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic

Heart Smart Traditional

Prego Italian Sauce

Chunky Garden Combo

Chunky Garden Mushroom & Green Pepper

Chunky Garden Mushroom Supreme with Baby Portobello

Chunky Garden Tomato Onion & Garlic

Flavored with Meat

Fresh Mushroom

Italian Sausage & Garlic

Marinara

Mushroom & Garlic

Organic Mushroom

Organic Tomato & Basil

Roasted Garlic & Herb

Roasted Garlic Parmesan

Three Cheese

Tomato Basil Garlic

Traditional

V8 Splash Smoothies

V8 Splash Smoothie Strawberry Banana

V8 Splash Smoothie Tropical Colada

Campbell

• 1 year later...
bittykitty Rookie

Susan Baranowsky - the Director of Consummer Affairs emailed me the newly updated Campbell's Gluten-free List.

Susan happened to join another board to clear up some of the confusion that surrounded their Prego and Pace products.

If you'd like to follow the entire conversation Open Original Shared Link.

Ms. Baranowsky asked me to distribute this list.

Here is the Open Original Shared Link

Here's the plain text -

Update on Prego-

I made a pizza using Rustic Crust,cheese, and Prego last night.. few hours later, my feet are covered in a DH rash..think I know a jar of sauce that is hitting the trash can.Natural flavors my butt. :angry:

• 2 years later...
Newings Newbie

So I wanted to be sure that the Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth I had in the cupboard (purchased before I went gluten free) was OK. It said it had no MSG, but nothing about Gluten. I was wary of the discussion about "yeast extract" so I called the "1-800 #" provided above.

She was great, she took the UPC code and then let me know that this container of Beef Broth was NOT gluten-free.

RATS!!

Just wanted to share that there were other "Natural Goodness" from Swanson for Beef Stock that was gluten free (per the lady at Campbells).

guess I'll be going shopping before I finish my Beef Stroganoff for tonight.

kareng Grand Master

So I wanted to be sure that the Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth I had in the cupboard (purchased before I went gluten free) was OK. It said it had no MSG, but nothing about Gluten. I was wary of the discussion about "yeast extract" so I called the "1-800 #" provided above.

She was great, she took the UPC code and then let me know that this container of Beef Broth was NOT gluten-free.

RATS!!

Just wanted to share that there were other "Natural Goodness" from Swanson for Beef Stock that was gluten free (per the lady at Campbells).

guess I'll be going shopping before I finish my Beef Stroganoff for tonight.

Just for your info....The posts you are reading are over 2 years old. Ingredients and manufacturing practices change. The posted info should be re-checked before eating.

Archived