41 replies to this topic

#16 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

I've gotten sick from three bites of salsa on gluten free chips before. It is a concern. Your body does not really care if it was wheat, rye, or barley, it was just enough for your immune system to recognize and start the attack.
Take Prego and the others off the safe list and move on.
It appears the Swanson regular Chicken broth is still safe? Just not the natural organic any variety and all the beef broths are not safe anymore!!? Right?

According to the Cecilia's Marketplace info:

Contains Gluten! (REMOVE From Guide):
Swanson:
REMOVE: Lower Sodium Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)
REMOVE: Organic Broths (All)
REMOVE: Ready To Serve Beef Broth (14 oz can ONLY)

Gluten-Free (SAFE):
Swanson:
Natural Goodness Chicken Broth (All)
Chicken Broth (All)
Vegetable Broth (14 oz can)
Chicken Broth Roasted Garlic (new product)

And they also listed a toll free number for Campbell's:
1-800-257-8443

I, too, have had reactions to some salsas and other sauces, and fairly quickly after ingested. Now, if in doubt, I just pass it by. Not worth the risk.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MNBeth

MNBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

Salsa and spaghetti sauce. I personally wouldn't worry about it if it didn't list wheat, barely malt, or some other gluten ingredient. That's just me. Of course if I got sick, I'd reconsider.

best regards, lm

But barley malt can be in a product *without* being named in the ingredients list. Since barley isn't one of the "big 8," they can just call it "natural flavors" in the ingredients list.

BTW, I am not saying that Pace has barley malt. But I'm pretty sure there's something in there, as my son and I just got over two weeks of misery after eating Pace salsa for a couple of days. (We experience delayed reactions, so we don't know right away.) So here we are with a big Costco jar of salsa that we can't eat any more.

And another big jar of Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa that I called about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a return call on. Argh. I hate making phone calls. I really hate making them twice.

#18 rio

rio

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

And another big jar of Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa that I called about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a return call on. Argh. I hate making phone calls. I really hate making them twice.
[/quote]

I actually recently called about the Kirkland Salsa as well and just got a reply. Sure enough, it's gluten free!

#19 MNBeth

MNBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

I actually recently called about the Kirkland Salsa as well and just got a reply. Sure enough, it's gluten free!

Oh, yea!! I still haven't called them again, and now I don't have to. :D Thanks for letting me know!

#20 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:18 AM

I've been at restaurants whose chefs told me they use flour in their marinara sauces, so I guess it's not that uncommon.

Everyone who knows me knows my husband has celiac, not me. This being said I have to add I
have an Italian background. My Italian grandmother never put wheat (nor sugar or corn syrup) in her sauce - and I'd never eat sauce with wheat in it - yuck! As my grandmother would exclaim "Amerigan!" If sauce is made correctly, it does not need thickener agents. So you're on the right track (no wheat in sauce, please!).
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#21 mama23

mama23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

I just got sick after accidently using the Pace Salsa, I only ate a few bites.
It was not my full blown gluten reaction, but it was there. Just an FYI for others who may be wondering. None of the ingredients are obvious except distilled vinegar (which most list as safe anyway) and the natural flavorings, which I thought that manufacturers could not hide gluten under "natural flavorings".

Frustrating! <_<
Lifelong symptoms.
Self diagnosed 2003.
MD agrees with gluten intolerance diagnosis in 2006.
2 of 3 children diagnosed as gluten intolerant in 2006.

#22 aklap

aklap

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Susan Baranowsky - the Director of Consummer Affairs emailed me the newly updated Campbell's Gluten-free List.

Susan happened to join another board to clear up some of the confusion that surrounded their Prego and Pace products.

Thank you so much for your continued patience. I am glad you are interested in our Gluten-Free List. I would like to clear up any confusion that may have resulted from the information you have received.

After FDA issued its proposed regulation about "gluten-free" food labeling, Campbell had temporarily removed some products, such as our Prego and Pace brands. We did this to ensure that we could provide consumers with the most accurate and up-to-date information.

We are in the process of updating and confirming the gluten-free status of all our products. We have completed our analysis of our beverage, broth, stock and Prego products. Please send me your email address and I will attach our most recent list so that you can make it available to others.

Again thanks for your patience,
Susan Baranowsky
Director Consumer Affairs, Campbell Soup Company

If you'd like to follow the entire conversation click here.

Ms. Baranowsky asked me to distribute this list.

Here is the Campbell's gluten-free List - Feb 2009 PDF

Here's the plain text -

Campbell's GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS - FEBRUARY 2009

Because we are constantly improving our products, please check the ingredient statement on the label of every product. We will make every effort to keep this list up-to-date.

Gluten is a protein found in rye, barley, oats and wheat (including atta, bulgur, couscous, durum, einkorn, emmer, farina, kamut, seitan, semolina, spelt, triticale and triticum aestivu).

Every effort is made to avoid cross-contact with our ingredients and products that have gluten ingredients. This includes sanitation controls, storage controls, manufacturing controls and product rework controls.

The following list contains products in which every ingredient in each product was verified as being gluten-free. As a further safeguard, we analyzed each product to ensure compliance with our strict gluten-free standards.

Swanson Broth & Stock (Aseptic)
Natural Goodness Chicken Broth
Chicken Stock
Chicken Broth
Beef Stock

Swanson Broth (Canned)
Natural Goodness Chicken Broth
Chicken Broth
Vegetarian Broth
Chicken Broth with Garlic

Prego Heart Smart Italian Sauce
Heart Smart Mushroom
Heart Smart Onion & Garlic
Heart Smart Ricotta Parmesan
Heart Smart Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic
Heart Smart Traditional

Prego Italian Sauce
Chunky Garden Combo
Chunky Garden Mushroom & Green Pepper
Chunky Garden Mushroom Supreme with Baby Portobello
Chunky Garden Tomato Onion & Garlic
Flavored with Meat
Fresh Mushroom
Italian Sausage & Garlic
Marinara
Mushroom & Garlic
Organic Mushroom
Organic Tomato & Basil
Roasted Garlic & Herb
Roasted Garlic Parmesan
Three Cheese
Tomato Basil Garlic
Traditional

V8 Splash Smoothies
V8 Splash Smoothie Strawberry Banana
V8 Splash Smoothie Tropical Colada

Campbells Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Low Sodium Tomato Juice
Organic Tomato Juice
Healthy Request Tomato Juice

V8 Vegetable Juices
V8 Vegetable Juice
Low Sodium V8 Vegetable Juice
V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable Juice
A-C-E Vitamin Rich V8
V8 Fiber Vegetable Juice
Organic V8 Vegetable Juice

V8 Splash & Diet V8 Splash Juice Blends
V8 Splash Tropical Blend
V8 Splash Strawberry Kiwi Blend
V8 Splash Berry Blend
V8 Splash Fruit Medley
V8 Splash Mango Peach
V8 Splash Diet Tropical Blend
V8 Splash Diet Berry Blend

V8 V-Fusion Blends
V8 V-Fusion Strawberry Banana
V8 V-Fusion Tropical Orange
V8 V-Fusion Peach Mango
V8 V-Fusion Pomegranate Blueberry
V8 V-Fusion Aai Berry
V8 V-Fusion Light Strawberry Banana
V8 V-Fusion Light Peach Mango
V8 V-Fusion Light Pomegranate Blueberry

As of February 2009

#23 bittykitty

bittykitty

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Susan Baranowsky - the Director of Consummer Affairs emailed me the newly updated Campbell's Gluten-free List.

Susan happened to join another board to clear up some of the confusion that surrounded their Prego and Pace products.

If you'd like to follow the entire conversation click here.

Ms. Baranowsky asked me to distribute this list.

Here is the Campbell's gluten-free List - Feb 2009 PDF

Here's the plain text -

Update on Prego-
I made a pizza using Rustic Crust,cheese, and Prego last night.. few hours later, my feet are covered in a DH rash..think I know a jar of sauce that is hitting the trash can.Natural flavors my butt. :angry:
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes"Douglas Adams

#24 Newings

Newings

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

So I wanted to be sure that the Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth I had in the cupboard (purchased before I went gluten free) was OK. It said it had no MSG, but nothing about Gluten. I was wary of the discussion about "yeast extract" so I called the "1-800 #" provided above.
She was great, she took the UPC code and then let me know that this container of Beef Broth was NOT gluten-free.
RATS!!

Just wanted to share that there were other "Natural Goodness" from Swanson for Beef Stock that was gluten free (per the lady at Campbells).

guess I'll be going shopping before I finish my Beef Stroganoff for tonight.
Diagnosed in October 2011 via diet alterations on the advice of my exasperated Dr.
After several colonoscopies, laporoscopies, stomach and too many tests to mention
Have my life back unless I manage to get Glutened

Learning everyday what I can eat and can't eat

#25 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

So I wanted to be sure that the Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth I had in the cupboard (purchased before I went gluten free) was OK. It said it had no MSG, but nothing about Gluten. I was wary of the discussion about "yeast extract" so I called the "1-800 #" provided above.
She was great, she took the UPC code and then let me know that this container of Beef Broth was NOT gluten-free.
RATS!!

Just wanted to share that there were other "Natural Goodness" from Swanson for Beef Stock that was gluten free (per the lady at Campbells).

guess I'll be going shopping before I finish my Beef Stroganoff for tonight.

Just for your info....The posts you are reading are over 2 years old. Ingredients and manufacturing practices change. The posted info should be re-checked before eating.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#26 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Campbells has a list of all gluten free products on there website.
CANADIAN!

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Also, be aware, the list of gluten-free Campbell's products in Canada is different from the US. Be sure you are looking at information for the right country.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 Beth P.

Beth P.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Also, be aware, the list of gluten-free Campbell's products in Canada is different from the US. Be sure you are looking at information for the right country.

Swanson seems to have quite a variety of beef broths with slightly different names. I just bought a 14.5 oz. can of Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth 100% Fat Free No added MSG. The list of ingredients SEEMED innocuous, but now I am suspicious of the term "yeast extract". It sounds to me that this product is NOT gluten-free, although I cannot find it specifically mentioned in this thread. I'm going to toss it out & not use it, but I am puzzled why they bother to make some of their products gluten-free, but not this one.

Any additional information & clarification you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Beth P.

#29 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Swanson seems to have quite a variety of beef broths with slightly different names. I just bought a 14.5 oz. can of Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth 100% Fat Free No added MSG. The list of ingredients SEEMED innocuous, but now I am suspicious of the term "yeast extract". It sounds to me that this product is NOT gluten-free, although I cannot find it specifically mentioned in this thread. I'm going to toss it out &amp; not use it, but I am puzzled why they bother to make some of their products gluten-free, but not this one.

Any additional information &amp; clarification you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Beth P.

Yeast extract would be yeast. It isn't gluten. Not sure why a company would feel that is a "Natural" ingredient in broth? Ugh!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#30 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yeast extract may or may not be "natural," depending on how you define that word. But it is definitely gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: