This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Campbells Soup And Swanson Broth Alerts

LDJofDenver

Silencio Enthusiast

Campbells has a list of all gluten free products on there website.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Also, be aware, the list of gluten-free Campbell's products in Canada is different from the US. Be sure you are looking at information for the right country.

• 7 months later...
Beth P. Newbie

Also, be aware, the list of gluten-free Campbell's products in Canada is different from the US. Be sure you are looking at information for the right country.

Swanson seems to have quite a variety of beef broths with slightly different names. I just bought a 14.5 oz. can of Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth 100% Fat Free No added MSG. The list of ingredients SEEMED innocuous, but now I am suspicious of the term "yeast extract". It sounds to me that this product is NOT gluten-free, although I cannot find it specifically mentioned in this thread. I'm going to toss it out & not use it, but I am puzzled why they bother to make some of their products gluten-free, but not this one.

Any additional information & clarification you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Beth P.

kareng Grand Master

Swanson seems to have quite a variety of beef broths with slightly different names. I just bought a 14.5 oz. can of Swanson 100% Natural Beef Broth 100% Fat Free No added MSG. The list of ingredients SEEMED innocuous, but now I am suspicious of the term "yeast extract". It sounds to me that this product is NOT gluten-free, although I cannot find it specifically mentioned in this thread. I'm going to toss it out & not use it, but I am puzzled why they bother to make some of their products gluten-free, but not this one.

Any additional information & clarification you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Beth P.

Yeast extract would be yeast. It isn't gluten. Not sure why a company would feel that is a "Natural" ingredient in broth? Ugh!

psawyer Proficient

Yeast extract may or may not be "natural," depending on how you define that word. But it is definitely gluten-free.

• 8 months later...
Osoreal Newbie

Well, yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of glutening myself with Swanson's Boxed Beef Broth (50% less Soduim). 

I had some reservations about using it because I check everything three times.  I couldnt seem to find a clear answer out here, at least I missed it being mentioned half way down this thread. 

** That Swanson's Beef Broth in the box IS NOT gluten-free! **

The thing that makes me mad, is that since I couldnt find a clear answer yesterday online I decided to call the 1-800-44-BROTH to find out.  I gave the the lady the UPC code and everything,  She confirmed to me that it was gluten-free!  I said then why is not on your product list?  She said, because the canned beef broth is not! So I confirmed again with her that the boxed beef is ok and the answer from her was yes.

So I used it!

So today, I am feeling rough in many ways.  I have celiac diagnosed this Febuary and have been religous about my diet for months. 

I called back today and spoke with another representative who took much more then the UPC code and confirmed as most of you know that it contains gluten. 

Just posting to prevent others from making this same mistake.  It turns out that another lesson has been learned here too. 

You cannot always trust the information directly from the company either?  We are our biggest advocates.

Stay Healthy. 

kareng Grand Master

Well, yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of glutening myself with Swanson's Boxed Beef Broth (50% less Soduim). 

I had some reservations about using it because I check everything three times.  I couldnt seem to find a clear answer out here, at least I missed it being mentioned half way down this thread. 

** That Swanson's Beef Broth in the box IS NOT gluten-free! **

The thing that makes me mad, is that since I couldnt find a clear answer yesterday online I decided to call the 1-800-44-BROTH to find out.  I gave the the lady the UPC code and everything,  She confirmed to me that it was gluten-free!  I said then why is not on your product list?  She said, because the canned beef broth is not! So I confirmed again with her that the boxed beef is ok and the answer from her was yes.

So I used it!

So today, I am feeling rough in many ways.  I have celiac diagnosed this Febuary and have been religous about my diet for months. 

I called back today and spoke with another representative who took much more then the UPC code and confirmed as most of you know that it contains gluten. 

Just posting to prevent others from making this same mistake.  It turns out that another lesson has been learned here too. 

You cannot always trust the information directly from the company either?  We are our biggest advocates.

Stay Healthy.

I don't know which country you are in, as that makes a difference. It in the US and Canada, it will list wheat if its an ingredient. All you have to do is read the ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

gee, I  never thought  Campbell's  organic  was  safe....

kareng Grand Master

Most of the info on this thread is from 2008. It is out of date. Also, Campbell's has different recipes in the US from Canada or the UK.

Campbell's legally must label wheat. If its a beef and barley soup, it will say that, too. First rule of Celiac Disease - Read the labels!

Osoreal Newbie

Of course I read the label!

I even compared it to the Sanswans chicken broth label.  The only difference was the "yeast extract".  Both the beef broth and chicken broth contained natural flavors.  But the chicken broth is safe.  At the same time the beef stock is also safe

Therein lies the problem - confusion - then confirmation from a Campbell’s / Swanson representative that it was in fact gluten-free, when she clearly didn't have her facts right.  I find this to be negligence on the part of the company. 

I shop at Costco often, so I buy many Kirkland products.  I call them all the time and they verify for me.  I do this as precaution after I have read the label. So far so good with Kirkland!

But has anyone else had a company representative confirm gluten free when in fact is was not?  Also, what could I have done to better here?

kareng Grand Master

Of course I read the label!

I even compared it to the Sanswans chicken broth label.  The only difference was the "yeast extract".  Both the beef broth and chicken broth contained natural flavors.  But the chicken broth is safe.  At the same time the beef stock is also safe

Therein lies the problem - confusion - then confirmation from a Campbell’s / Swanson representative that it was in fact gluten-free, when she clearly didn't have her facts right.  I find this to be negligence on the part of the company. 

I shop at Costco often, so I buy many Kirkland products.  I call them all the time and they verify for me.  I do this as precaution after I have read the label. So far so good with Kirkland!

But has anyone else had a company representative confirm gluten free when in fact is was not?  Also, what could I have done to better here?

I don't use these products so I'm not sure what the ingredients are.  But yeast extract and natural flavors do not contain gluten.  I know Campbells has lists, by country, of what they consider gluten-free -- so I guess you could go by those?

US list - Open Original Shared Link

Canada - Open Original Shared Link

w8in4dave Community Regular

I was shocked to find out that there was Gluten in broth to begin with!! 

• 2 weeks later...
cherries Newbie

I learned that the campbells tomato soup has wheat in it this past sunday. So that is off the list,

psawyer Proficient

I learned that the campbells tomato soup has wheat in it this past sunday. So that is off the list,

It always has. It is something that has had me searching for a gluten-free alternative since I first went gluten-free over 13 years ago. Still looking.  :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It always has. It is something that has had me searching for a gluten-free alternative since I first went gluten-free over 13 years ago. Still looking.  :(

Heinz UK makes a tomato soup that is safe, or was last I had some. I am in the US and it is sold in the 'import' section of some grocery stores. Don't know if it is available where you are.

Celtic Queen Explorer

Pacific Soups has a gluten free tomato soup.  I just double checked their website to be sure.  Open Original Shared Link  I remember trying to find some for a recipe and that was the only brand I could find without gluten.

kareng Grand Master

Pacific Soups has a gluten free tomato soup.  I just double checked their website to be sure.  Open Original Shared Link  I remember trying to find some for a recipe and that was the only brand I could find without gluten.

Saw the tomato today at Target. Says gluten-free.

Archived