This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Don't Know How To Remedy My Constipation

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Ive come such a long way and have made so many lifestyle changes and I still suffer from constipation. Eating a very bland and controlled diet is the only thing that seems to help, but its impossible to eat like this every day. I travel for work quite a bit and as soon as I break away from my daily routine at home & eat food that i dont prepare myself, my colon locks up. Why is my colon so sensitive to everything i put in my body? Ive tried fiber, prune juice and just about every home remedy for constipation and I get no relief. I also have a sensitive bladder and when I dont have a BM it puts pressure on my bladder and i have to pee every 10 minutes. I feel like im in hell. i have no desire to be in a relationship and used to dream about traveling all over the world and now I have no desire because I know i will be in agony the whole time. how am i supposed to enjoy a vacation if im backed up, bloated and urinating every 10 minutes? furthermore, this would cause so much shame & humiliation if i was in a relationship that its not even worth it. what kind of a woman is going to want to be with a guy that cant eat anything, is always constipated and running to the restroom to pee all the time? Is there anything out there that i can take that will help me go every single day aside from laxatives? Natural Calm does seem to work quite well, however, for some reason it has a diuretic effect and aggravates my bladder. i just dont know what to do. i take digestive enzymes and they dont work and probiotics dont work either..they just make it worse. could use some feedback and/or suggestons?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

STONE FRUITS!

Those are fruits with "stones," or pits, rather than seeds, such as peaches, pears, apricots, mangoes, plums, etc.

I think fresh is always best; however, this is not peach season, so canned might taste better right now. I'd eat at least one piece of fruit at every meal and snack. Dried stone fruit is good, too--for years and years, prunes (which is what dried plums used to be called) were the medication of choice for constipation! But it's the fruit itself that is helpful, not so much the juice, as the fruit has the fiber that you need.

I think papaya and pineapple are supposed to have some kind of enzyme that is very beneficial to digestion, too.

I've heard mixed things about apples, applesauce, and bananas--for some people, ANY fruit seems to help c, but others get stoppered up by them. If you love applesauce, you can make pearsauce--take a bunch of canned pears (get the kind that are packed in juice, NOT syrup), heat (without their liquid) over a low flame, add cinnamon, and mash or put in a food processor. I like it even better than applesauce.

You also might try adding a bit of ground flaxseed to whatever you're eating, as that has fiber, too.

Once the constipation is taken care of, keep an eye on the bladder issues.

The frequent urination might start a kind of muscle memory/habit sort of thing, where the muscles get USED to going every 10 minutes, and then they feel like they have to even when the bladder is empty. The fix for that is NOT "over-active bladder meds," but just making yourself wait longer and longer, until the muscles get the idea.

Frequent urination in men is also a sign of prostate trouble, which is very commonl in older men, but not unheard of in younger men. If it continues after the c is gone, you'd want to be evaluated by a urologist. (Just what you want--MORE doctors!)

jasonD2 Experienced

Fruits dont help, again i have various sensitivities and whenever the offending foods are introduced it will trigger constipation. Right now pears are the only fruit i can tolerate. Berries give me problems, apples make me urinate cause they are diuretic, bananas constipate me and citrus fruits give me bad spasms. Flax doesnt work either...again fiber intake isnt my issue...its gut motility and the fact that it slows down or seizes when an offending food is ingested

I have a history of prostate issues, which is why it is so sensitive. I had abacterial prostatitis years ago and it hasnt been the same since

lbd Rookie

Hi Jason,

I don't know what all of your food restrictions are other than gluten but here are a few things that seem to work for me:

Chocolate, especially a nice cup of hot chocolate

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Oats (some people can't eat them, but I can and that seems to get things moving. I made oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, yum.

I have to avoid apples and bananas as they seem to have the opposite effect. Dairy stuff too.

Try mixing a little flaxseed in with whatever you are eating - you won't notice it and it helps.

Raisins.

Sauerkraut.

Coffee.

As far as meeting someone goes, there are over 6 billion people out there. And many would not give a care in the world about whether you had to use the bathroom a lot. Don't limit yourself. There is someone for you.

Best of luck,

Laurie

lbd Rookie

Oops, our posts crossed in transit :P The other thing that I find works (and seems to work for my dog as well) is exercise! It seems to stimulate the gut and since your problem is not fiber-related, that might do the trick. Especially exercises that move the core area.

Laurie

jasonD2 Experienced

Thanks Laurie-

All of your food suggestions are legit, however, I must be the rare case. Not only do i have a gluten sensitivity, but I also cannot tolerate dairy and tested allergic to eggs, soy and an entire range of other foods not to mentioned food additives and processed ingredients. as i mentioned I only feel normal when i consistently eat bland foods with no seasoning. my system is that sensitive. crazy huh?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lbd Rookie

Hmmm, crazy? I wouldn't say so. I am very interested in why people are sensitive to certain foods from an evolutionary standpoint. For example, many of us are sensitive to gluten because we just don't have the genes to digest the stuff. If we keep eating the stuff, it acts like a toxin and causes illness. Not surprising really if you think about it. How many other carnivore/omnivore type animals do you see out there grazing in wheat fields? I can guarantee you won't see any. Ditto for legumes. How many mammals do you see out there attacking cows and drinking their milk. Um, none, except for humans! :P

So, is it crazy or odd to have sensitivities to gluten, dairy, legumes like soy? Not at all. In fact, if I were to guess, I would say that maybe you have a genetic makeup that could be traced back to the earliest ancestors. They primarily ate small game meat, fish and seafood, some greens and roots that did not make them sick, fruit when they could get it at certain times of year. We were never meant to eat things like fruit constantly because it would not have been available, thus nature had us on a rotation type diet all of the time, didn't she? So, it's not that we have an illness that keeps us from eating certain foods - it is that we are eating foods that we have never adapted too and they are acting like toxins to us, causing disease. It's definitely a mindshift.

So, is your bland diet crazy? Not at all. Don't be so hard on yourself, Jason. Just accept that you have some original genetic merchandise and be proud! :D

Laurie

Fruits dont help, again i have various sensitivities and whenever the offending foods are introduced it will trigger constipation. Right now pears are the only fruit i can tolerate. Berries give me problems, apples make me urinate cause they are diuretic, bananas constipate me and citrus fruits give me bad spasms.

Well, I didn't recommend berries, bananas, apples, or citrus!

Stone fruits are what they recommend for babies with constipation--not any of the above fruits.

It sounds like stone fruits are the only fruit you tolerate, so why not give yourself some variety and try peaches, plums, mangoes, etc. But only introduce one new one at a time (which is what we do with babies, too), so if you react, you'll know which one set your poor tum off. And canned might be easier to digest.

Be patient--your system has been through so much, you need to baby it!

I wonder if whatever bacteria was causing the bacterial prostatitis might have migrated to your gut?

So many people on this board have Lyme DIsease, you might want to check out the Lyme thread here, and sites like Lymenet, just to see if your symptoms might be caused either by Lyme or by some strange bacterial gut infection? You probably wouldn't want to ask your own doctor about it, but find what they call an LLMD (Lyme-Literate Medical Doctor). Unless you recall being bitten by a tick (about half of Lyme patients DON'T recall even seeing a tick, let alone being bitten by one) or having had a "bull's-eye" rash (again, about half never develop the rash). If you have had those, then most doctors would run a Lyme test.

TiredofTums Rookie

Fresh figs are awesome for constipation. You may have t contact the company if you buy online but there is a fig syrup that really helps with constipation that is supposed to be all naturally made. Check into this! I get boughts of constipation alot and hate it and my mother has a few fig trees that get ripe in the summer. I freeze them, make fig bread and even make fig syrup and it really helps me with the bowels. I can eat 4 of them and the next day they have me going. Without them I at times get spells of not going for a whole week! Prunes never worked for me and neither did plums but those figs did! Try them out! You might even want to plant yourself a fig tree for the summer! You would be surprised how much fruit comes off that tree!

Linda

Well, I didn't recommend berries, bananas, apples, or citrus!

Stone fruits are what they recommend for babies with constipation--not any of the above fruits.

It sounds like stone fruits are the only fruit you tolerate, so why not give yourself some variety and try peaches, plums, mangoes, etc. But only introduce one new one at a time (which is what we do with babies, too), so if you react, you'll know which one set your poor tum off. And canned might be easier to digest.

Be patient--your system has been through so much, you need to baby it!

I wonder if whatever bacteria was causing the bacterial prostatitis might have migrated to your gut?

So many people on this board have Lyme DIsease, you might want to check out the Lyme thread here, and sites like Lymenet, just to see if your symptoms might be caused either by Lyme or by some strange bacterial gut infection? You probably wouldn't want to ask your own doctor about it, but find what they call an LLMD (Lyme-Literate Medical Doctor). Unless you recall being bitten by a tick (about half of Lyme patients DON'T recall even seeing a tick, let alone being bitten by one) or having had a "bull's-eye" rash (again, about half never develop the rash). If you have had those, then most doctors would run a Lyme test.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I just heard the latest celiac.com podcast, and it mentioned sauerkraut as being a good source of helpful bacteria and enzymes, aiding in digestion.

Low stomach acid can cause digestive troubles such as what you're describing, including the sensitivity to so many foods. The two things which seem to keep coming up again and again to resolve low stomach acid are Apple Cider Vinegar (real, not flavored), and Betaine HCL.

Aside from this, an intestinal yeast overgrowth (candida) can also cause at least some of these problems, and given the infection you mentioned, that's the first thing which comes to mind. So if it were me, I'd also try caprylic acid capsules.

jasonD2 Experienced

im doing aqua flora, parabiotic and probiotics. my test results showed light candida, so it wasnt full blown overgrowth

Roda Rising Star
im doing aqua flora, parabiotic and probiotics. my test results showed light candida, so it wasnt full blown overgrowth

Jason,

I was diagnosed with celiac in October of this year. I have always had problems all my life with constipation. Pre celiac things that would help was shredded wheat and triscuit crakers. Obviouslly we can not have that anymore. If I consume too much dairy and rice it makes it worse.

Since my diagnosis I have discovered quinoa. It is naturally gluten free and has alot of fiber, protein, iron etc. There are two varieties red and white. I have only tried the red since I like the color contrast when I cook. If I eat quinoa I do not have any problems with constipation. I have found many recipes on the internet and have been experimenting with them in the kitchen. So far so good. Since you say you have so many food allergies/sensitivities you may need to check about that. You can google quinoa to learn and where to buy it. I have found it at our local health barn, natural food market, and Earthfare. I am sure there are many other places to find it also.

Best of luck.

Roda

diagnosed Oct. 2008 via Iga tTG and biopsy

gluten free since Oct. 30, 2008

Nancym Enthusiast

Do you eat dairy products?

I find dairy makes me quite constipated, especially cheese. I exclude it for a few days and everything gets back to normal.

jasonD2 Experienced

I eat lots of quinoa and avoid all dairy

Amber M Explorer
Fruits dont help, again i have various sensitivities and whenever the offending foods are introduced it will trigger constipation. Right now pears are the only fruit i can tolerate. Berries give me problems, apples make me urinate cause they are diuretic, bananas constipate me and citrus fruits give me bad spasms. Flax doesnt work either...again fiber intake isnt my issue...its gut motility and the fact that it slows down or seizes when an offending food is ingested

I have a history of prostate issues, which is why it is so sensitive. I had abacterial prostatitis years ago and it hasnt been the same since

Just thought I'd throw out a few things. I have had severe constipation for over 3 years (after years of D.) Nothing, and I mean nothing seemed to work for me either. My Allergist said it was magnesium def. and put me on 1000 mg per day. 500 with lunch and 500 with supper. (do not take 1000 all at once, and never on empty stomach or will cause nasea). Finally, cured! Go every day.

He also told me if you have too much magnesium, you will get too loose and to back down the dosage if that happens. Hasn't yet and its been about 3 months now. Might be worth a try. It is good for so many other symptoms too.

But, have you had a colonoscopy? And, I would keep an eye on the prostate. Young men DO have problems sometimes. Do not let this go.

Interesting info about the magnesium, Amber. What CAUSES magnesium deficiency?

Once you are back on track, do you have to keep taking magnesium supplements, or can you start eating foods rich in magnesium?

GFqueen17 Contributor

If you think that your problem is gut motility then you should see a doctor about that. i saw a new GI recently and they thought that i also had a gut motility problem. a few weeks ago i did a test where i ate a "hamburger" (fallafel burger for me) and then drank alot of barium. everyday for a week i went back to the doctor and they took xrays to track the "hamburger" in my digestive track. this allows the dr to see how i digest things and how my intestines are shaped...i dont find out the results for another two weeks. but it sounds like you might benefit from this test or something like it...if you havent had one done already.

hawaiimama Apprentice

Well, I tihnk I'm your female equivilent. I pee with crazy frequency. Sigh. I feel you pain.

Amber M Explorer
Interesting info about the magnesium, Amber. What CAUSES magnesium deficiency?

Once you are back on track, do you have to keep taking magnesium supplements, or can you start eating foods rich in magnesium?

From what I have read here, and many other areas is for one, Malabsorption, like from celiacs damage, or gluten sensitivity damage is a big cause. Also as we age our bodys do not absorb nutrients like when we are young. There is a defeciency test for it I believe. I can't remember the foods highest in magnesium, but easy to find out when you start googling magnesium. Lots of info out there.

I had researched it and the FDA recommends 300 or 400 mg. daily, so I argued with my allergist....mistake....His response was, "your willing to take perscription drugs for your problems, and you are afraid of vitamins? If you get too much your body will tell you because you will have very loose stools, that is the sign it is too much." When I was really blocked up he had me do 1,200 mg. It worked.

He also felt my neurological symptoms were indicative of magnesium defeciency as well. It does help with it. It got rid of my leg twitching and cramping the quickest. (Leg cramps are an indication of deficiency as well)

I'm sure there is alot more I am not thinking of, but before I took anything, I did alot of my own research on it. So I would look into it. I wouldn't want to be diagnosing anyone. Just check it out. If I remember correctly, you can only overdose by taking too much if you have loose stools. In otherwords, pay attention to what your body tells you with it.

mftnchn Explorer

Jason, I have a very similar problem and am still looking for answers. The SCD has helped me a lot, the first month was outstanding the difference it made, but then the problem started again after an inadvertent gluten exposure. The SCD material talks about either diarrhea or constipation as a sign of damage etc, and that extra fiber is NOT indicated until healing is well established. So that goes along with your experience. I also find the prunes, prune juice etc not that helpful.

Also previously very large doses of oral magnesium were helpful to me, but more recently it was making me worse--more of a spastic response where I could only go tiny narrow amounts. Found one place online that said magnesium was a "cause" of constipation, dropped the Natural Calm and things improved right away. I was floored as everything I had ever heard was that magnesium would give diarrhea. I still might try it again and push up the amount higher to see what happens. I take magnesium by injection as well, because I tend to be very deficient (as are many with lyme disease.)

My current trial is taking olive oil on an empty stomach in the morning. It does seem to immediately start some contractions going. The first day worked wonderfully but since then I am not too sure. I'm just starting to try swishing oil through my teeth in the morning. Sounds weird but is apparently a well known home remedy in India and constipation is on the list of what it works for. Google oil pulling, thanks to Shay I learned about this today. I'm going to try swishing, cleaning my teeth and mouth well. Then take the olive oil followed by a cup of warm or hot water. Then my empty stomach meds.

Have you done something for cleansing parasites? I have heard they really cause constipation, and I know that I have had and still have a significant problem. Apparently my gut has been compromised for a long time.

Sure hope you find something that will work consistently! (for me too, LOL!)

Archived