This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Silly To Worry About Lunch Meat?

mr. moore

mr. moore Explorer

like deli meat that is cut for you? like turkey and ham. i had a message to me that instantly made me paranoid, since the way i see it, once your glutened you have to "restart" the process. anyone know about it? thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
like deli meat that is cut for you? like turkey and ham. i had a message to me that instantly made me paranoid, since the way i see it, once your glutened you have to "restart" the process. anyone know about it? thanks.

I wouldn't buy it. Not only could the slicer have come in contact with meat that contains gluten, but many of those delis make sandwiches. The person slicing your meat could have made a sandwich just prior.

Even with the packaged lunch meats, not all are gluten-free.

emcmaster Collaborator

It's risky. I've had luck before but at least half the time I end up getting CC even if the person had cleaned the slicer.

Unfortunately, prepacked lunch meat just isn't the same.

I guess I could buy a meat slicer and do it myself.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I agree about the lunch meat... scary stuff :o

By the way... a glutening doesn't "restart" the process. Unless you have a perfectly gluten-free kitchen, never eat out, and never bring any CC food into your house, you're bound to get some gluten once in a while. Depending on how sensitive you are, you might notice the damage (I've started getting a rash on my hands), but it doesn't take as long to recover as when you first went gluten-free. Thank goodness! Don't eat gluten deliberately, but if you're being careful then the occasional glutening shouldn't set you back too far.

missy'smom Collaborator

Hormel Naturals prepackaged deli slice meats are gluten-free. They have turkey, smoked, honey and plain ham, roast beef and salami.

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Definitely worry about deli meats. When my sons was first diagnosed over 10 years ago, we all thought, oh, gee, it's meat, so it's OK. But he'd get sick after being at my house and eating a sandwich (on gluten-free bread). One day at the store we asked the clerk to hand it to us before slicing so we could see the ingredients, and it was a paragraph long! (yes, ingredients that included wheat starch to hold it together) Who knew! Now we know better. Don't know where you shop and what your options are , but pretty much all the Boar's Head deli meats are safe, and even print it on the front of their packaging for you to view through the deli case. I have a couple grocery chains nearby and shop the one that only has Boar's Head, so I'm not worried about the slicer contamination. Many Primo Taglio brand deli meats are gluten-free also: black forest ham, oven roasted Chicken breast, smoked turkey breast.

It's a process, but it gets easier.

mr. moore Explorer
Definitely worry about deli meats. When my sons was first diagnosed over 10 years ago, we all thought, oh, gee, it's meat, so it's OK. But he'd get sick after being at my house and eating a sandwich (on gluten-free bread). One day at the store we asked the clerk to hand it to us before slicing so we could see the ingredients, and it was a paragraph long! (yes, ingredients that included wheat starch to hold it together) Who knew! Now we know better. Don't know where you shop and what your options are , but pretty much all the Boar's Head deli meats are safe, and even print it on the front of their packaging for you to view through the deli case. I have a couple grocery chains nearby and shop the one that only has Boar's Head, so I'm not worried about the slicer contamination. Many Primo Taglio brand deli meats are gluten-free also: black forest ham, oven roasted Chicken breast, smoked turkey breast.

It's a process, but it gets easier.

ae there prepackeged meat that is gluten free? also are there any fast food places that are gluten free that wouldn't cross contaminate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Walmart's Great Value brand packaged lunch meats will state if it's gluten free on the package. It's not as good as freshly sliced deli meat but at least you won't have to worry about its gluten status.

mr. moore Explorer
Walmart's Great Value brand packaged lunch meats will state if it's gluten free on the package. It's not as good as freshly sliced deli meat but at least you won't have to worry about its gluten status.

yeah i guess, plus i can get those gluten free GUMMY WORMS :)

lovegrov Collaborator

In reality the VAST majority of prepackaged meats are gluten-free. With Kraft, all you have to do is read the ingredients. I don't think any Hillshire Farm lunch meats have gluten, but just read the label. All Carl Buddigs meats are gluten-free. All Boar's Head meats are gluten-free, but if you're getting them sliced at the deli, ask them to clean the slicer.

richard

mr. moore Explorer

right, cause i look on the back of the pre packaged ones and it just says sodium this, sodium that. and i mean really, unless it's breaded why SHOULD i worry?

buffettbride Enthusiast
Hormel Naturals prepackaged deli slice meats are gluten-free. They have turkey, smoked, honey and plain ham, roast beef and salami.

That is what we use, and the bacon, too. :D :D

mr. moore Explorer

ok 2 things: i didn't see ANY gluten free gummy worms at wal mart!!

someone gave me this link: Open Original Shared Link

it mentions luncheon meats. should i still worry? im very gullible.

happygirl Collaborator

Lunch meats are a very broad term (just like any category of food). Members on this thread have provided brands and types of meats that are safe to consume (pre-packaged) and precautions to take if you purchased deli sliced meats. In another thread, a list of brands that will list all gluten sources was shared, so that Celiacs can trust the food labeling from these companies (and not worry about hidden sources). If you find a brand other than the combination that is listed, it may be helpful to call the company and inquire.

My best piece of advice is to learn to effectively read food labels. And never assume something is gluten free.

Hopefully this will make your life easier with food label reading ---

Unsafe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Some other good websites for your reading (besides this forum and www.celiac.com)

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

www.celiaccentral.org

www.celiac.org

www.celiacdisease.net

www.gluten.net

mr. moore Explorer
Lunch meats are a very broad term (just like any category of food). Members on this thread have provided brands and types of meats that are safe to consume (pre-packaged) and precautions to take if you purchased deli sliced meats. In another thread, a list of brands that will list all gluten sources was shared, so that Celiacs can trust the food labeling from these companies (and not worry about hidden sources). If you find a brand other than the combination that is listed, it may be helpful to call the company and inquire.

My best piece of advice is to learn to effectively read food labels. And never assume something is gluten free.

Hopefully this will make your life easier with food label reading ---

Unsafe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Some other good websites for your reading (besides this forum and www.celiac.com)

www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

www.celiaccentral.org

www.celiac.org

www.celiacdisease.net

www.gluten.net

so i can eat conagras banquet sausages? the brown n serve kinds? it says natural flavoring and my inner monk is telling me to watch out. it could be malt or something right?

happygirl Collaborator

Here is the decision process I go through:

Identify the company/brand and assess what we know about them. Your example was ConAgra. Based on the above links I gave you, we learn that they will not hide any ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link

So, if you read the ingredients on the product you mentioned, and wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, or oats isn't listed, then it would be okay to eat.

(repeat this process for all foods you have in question, and when you are unsure about a company's policy, call them)

wschmucks Contributor
so i can eat conagras banquet sausages? the brown n serve kinds? it says natural flavoring and my inner monk is telling me to watch out. it could be malt or something right?

I have a new rule (after getting glutened by tea at starbucks a few weeks back)-- Natural Flavorings=NO, unless you call or look it up online. Your monk is correct :-) it can contain barley or rye. Basically google it or call. I look things up on my blackberry at the gorcery store all the time.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I agree. I eat no natural flavorings, additives or ingredients unless I know exactly what they are. After all wheat, barley, rye and oats are natural, right? You'll find them in drinks, teas, hair products and lotions. They are everywhere!!

I will also confirm that the only lunchmeat I eat are Hormel Naturals and they are scrumptious. I've had the pepperoni and ham. Ummmm...

CeliacAlli Apprentice

no its not silly. They often have additives with gluten in them ... go with the natural brand someone told you too.

debmidge Rising Star

I buy these and they aren't bad.....I just have to remember to take the meat out of the container before I use my whole wheat bread (I am not the celiac, husband is). I do not handle the bread until after the meat is taken out of the container and it's put back in the refrigerator. Only then do I handle my bread so that I know I am not contaminating the deli meat.

Dyan Rookie

One time I bought my daughter some turkey from the deli. When we were home, I noticed that something was on the turkey. The clerk had used the cheese slicer and contaminated ALL of my turkey. At the time we were doing a dairy challenge, I was so MAD.

I am now only buying her packaged meats.

babygirl1234 Rookie

if i get lunchen meat i get it off the bone because then i know its safe for me to eat,

• 2 weeks later...
hadabaday2day Explorer
I have a new rule (after getting glutened by tea at starbucks a few weeks back)-- Natural Flavorings=NO, unless you call or look it up online. Your monk is correct :-) it can contain barley or rye. Basically google it or call. I look things up on my blackberry at the gorcery store all the time.

I wanted to interject here and say that natural flavorings can contain anything, but if you are talking about a brand such as Con Agra that discloses any gluten in parentheses next to the ingredient, then natural flavors are fine if wheat, oats, barley or rye is not listed.

lovegrov Collaborator
no its not silly. They often have additives with gluten in them ... go with the natural brand someone told you too.

The VAST majority of lunch meats are in fact gluten-free. The "additives" almost never have gluten, at least in the U.S.

Archived