6 replies to this topic

#1 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

http://www.forbes.co.../ap5811157.html

I know several people who have already lost their jobs, from a variety fields. Some people are being told to take mandatory, unpaid, leave. Where I work, we may be asked to switch to part time. The boss is well aware that anyone laid off is unlikely to find another position any time soon.

May I gently request that those of us that are in a position to do so, consider forgoing a loaf of gluten-free bread, and instead buying 5 cans of soup for your local food bank.

And those who find themselves needing to supplement from their local food bank, please accept what you need as a gift, as I would (will?) do. were our positions reversed.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

It is very sobering. And those are only the folks who access the services there are many more that are in need that don't get counted.
I find stuff sometimes at 2 for 1 prices, these are great for donating as I don't feel the crunch in my pocketbook. Food banks are desperate right now in many areas and don't forget it is not just food that they need. Women's sanitary products, cleaning supplies, dish soap, shampoos ( I donate the ones that I use once and turn out to be allergic to), diapers, pet foods and litters. Even if you don't have a lot to give at one time every little bit helps.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

Good news...Tyson sent a truck load of chicken to the big city (an hour from us). 31,000 lbs. of chicken to divide between 3 local charities. One truck of many across the nation. I give thanks to Tyson!!! The truck came from Arkansas all the way to Idaho. That's a huge donation plus all the expenses they had to pay out in order to donate their chicken! Tyson is donating 1 MILLION lbs. of chicken!! Thanks Tyson!!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

In my family we do not buy gifts for each other anymore, we all make donations to charity in the person's name. We usually donate to Heifer International, but this year we are going with Second Harvest to support all the people in the U.S. that do not have food.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#5 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

With many in desperate need in our area, our church joined the Angel Food network where anyone can buy a box of restaurant quality food for $30. They can also add to that additional meat or fresh boxes to that if they wish. They can use their food stamps. Our church has an alternative Christmas program and this year we added Angel Food to that so boxes can be purchased and donated. We all need to help each other, it's the only way we will all make it.

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

We all need to help each other, it's the only way we will all make it.

Nicely said.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

I thought so, too :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"